New stadium proposal. What do you think?

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Might as well corral both mediocre teams into one place to keep them from going elsewhere.

Upvote 0

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Much of San diegos economy is based on tourism. Giving up a tourist attraction is bad business. A nice multiuse stadium will not only attract super bowls but should be part of a larger infrastructure to be viable to host the Olympics. With the business climate difficult we need to double down on tourism. Half in / half out... We all lose.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I hear you bro...the only problem is once the Chargers are gone, the traffic will lighten up but the road conditions will only get worse as our financial ability to $fix$ shit will be in the crapper. How are we going to replace the $$$ stream hole this is going to create???

you gotta take the good with the bad. We need the Chargers for the $$ they generate more than they need us....and that sucks.
Huh ? are you saying we have traffic because of a football team ? and that road conditions will get worse because of less traffic ? I really doubt the Chargers have any economic impact on how well our roads are taken care of.I believe if the Chargers leave it will be business as usual.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Its sd, bulldoze it and put up more hotels. You will make more in taxes. Multi-use stadiums still do not generate that much revenue. How many stadium concerts are there per year? 1or 2? How many motocross? 2 or 3? How many festivals? The numbers usually do not add up to the cost. Besides if san diegans actually went to the games maybe the chargers would be interested in staying. How many sellouts have there been in the last 3 years. SD is one of the reasons the league has looked at the television blackout rules.

Reactions: Pescador Paul
Upvote 0

ash

Chief Inspiration Officer
Aug 28, 2007
North San Diego County
Name
Ash
Boat
Still looking
If they leave, I hope they don't, but if they do then knock down the Q and build a Six Flags San Diego, with some real roller coasters and thrill rides, something with a San Diego theme. A place families can enjoy. Look at Orlando FL. It will compliment the other attractions the city has. You want revenue bring people here all year to enjoy the climate and it its offerings. If that land becomes available that's what the city should be looking at doing if they want year round revenue. And then knockdown that arm pit of a sports arena in MB and try and get basketball team back and make that a multi venue arena for other events and concerts as well. Just a thought

Reactions: polfishski
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
    Sep 22, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Name
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Too many teams in the NFL. I think they should just eliminate the Raiders and Chargers and call it good at 30 :D

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    you guys are obviously putting way more thought into this than I am......mostly cause I don't really care.....I mean, I do, but I feel that this whole charade is driven by $$ and greed......which I detest.

"Pay NO attention to the man behind the curtain.........or his smoke and mirrors!" ......regardless of the man you see standing behind the half open curtain.

I will say, however, that if "San Diego" wants to "claim" the Chargers, then.......eh, well, its gonna take some public money. PUT UP OR SHUT UP comes to mind.....

I think that if put to a vote, it will likely pass IF it is framed correctly.......I'd vote for it.

that is all.....carry on. :D

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Huh ? are you saying we have traffic because of a football team ? and that road conditions will get worse because of less traffic ? I really doubt the Chargers have any economic impact on how well our roads are taken care of.I believe if the Chargers leave it will be business as usual.

I actually stated that traffic is much worse on Sunday home games. This is true in North County on the freeway heading south and on the Coast hiway especially when the Raiders, KC or the Broncos play. Towing the boat home after fishing all day can be terrible if the game has just let out.
    As far as economic effects, if the Chargers leave I think they will be minimal. I am tired of the threats and warnings by the Spanos family. In my mind they have been shitty owners. As owners they have squandered every opportunity for a winning or Championship team. This has been true year after year after year. And I do feel sorry for the real victims, the players.

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
    May 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Yak
    This city (taxpayers) are in the hole 10 to 15 million a year on the current stadium. if you extend that out over 30 years you see the 300 million we would have spent on an old stadium that is falling apart. Keeping the NFL in San Diego is important to generate the tax revenue needed to keep repairing our infrastructure. We need the NFL in SD ( not necessarily the Chargers) to remain a world class city.

At the end of the day the NFL owners decide who moves their team and who doesn't. If san Diego has a good plan on the table with political and public support.....it will be hard for them to let the Chargers leave. If they do.....then book me a flight back east in November and we can market the plan to another team.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Maybe it's time to re-think SD land use.

Clean geo-thermal or natural-gas fired electricity plant(s) on SD land would break the stranglehold of SDGE, keep $ millions of city residents $$$ in the city, give a strong financial reason to live and work in the city, attract business to the city, sell excess power to the likes of SCE SDGE et al. and have plenty of leftover revenue to properly maintain your world-class city.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 5, 2008
    Descanso
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    We need the NFL in SD ( not necessarily the Chargers) to remain a world class city.
    To remain a world class city ? The NFL does not determine if your city is world class. This thinking got us in the predicament we're in. The curb appeal of your city makes you a world class destination. It's because of the needs and dreams of the greedy our once exceptional destination has become so un appealing to many.

Reactions: Bizzy
    Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    The first of two college football bowl games taking place in San Diego kicks off tonight, when BYU faces San Diego State in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. The game, operated by the non-profit San Diego Bowl Game Association, comes one week before the organization hosts the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl, featuring Baylor and UCLA. San Diego’s two bowl games not only bring great athletic competitions to southern California, but also generate millions of dollars in economic impact for San Diego County.

Factors outside of the expected amounts generated by ticket sales and in-game concessions exist to drive the economic impact a bowl game has on the location in which it is held. These factors include the money fans spend on hotels, food and beverages outside of the stadium, other entertainment and non-game merchandise. In 2011, the Poinsettia Bowl generated an economic impact of $7.5 million for San Diego County. Since the Poinsettia Bowl was launched in 2005, studies show that it has created an aggregate impact of $67.8 million for San Diego County. The 2011 Holiday Bowl generated $18.6 million in economic impact. Thus, two bowl games held within a one-week period generated a $26.1 million economic impact for San Diego County in 2011. Furthermore, since its inception in 1978, the San Diego Bowl Game Association has created an economic impact of $639 million.

One of the biggest factors driving how much of an economic impact a bowl game will have is the extent to which a team’s fans will travel to watch a game. From the time period of 2007 through 2011, the Holiday Bowl game which created the greatest amount of economic impact for the San Diego area was 2009′s game featuring Arizona and Nebraska. That game generated an economic impact of $40.7 million, or nearly double that of last year’s game featuring Texas and Cal. The key distinction between these two games, was the percentage of local attendees that attended the game. 2009′s Arizona versus Nebraska game saw only 31 percent of attendees being from local areas. 2011′s Texas versus Cal match-up had 54.7 percent local attendees. The greater amount of local attendees that a game sees, the less amount of money that will be spent on hotel costs. Hotel costs significantly drive the economic impact of a bowl game, as this is generally the highest cost assumed by bowl attendees. Thus, it is important to note that 2009′s Holiday Bowl had the greatest amount of non-local attendees (68 percent) of any Holiday Bowl between 2007 and 2011.

Reactions: Miss Fitz
    Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    Upvote 0

SeaDawg

Grouper Hunter
    Mar 18, 2003
    Key West
    Name
    Harry
    Boat
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
    lynndeva is HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
    Nov 30, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    None
    You guys are really fucking with my good memories of SD. Moved north from Encinitas in '82 and it sure wasn't like what every body is whining about now. Hope the Chargers stay I'd really hate to root for the San Diego Chargers of Inglewood or wherever the fuck they are going to end up as my second favorite team. Go Hawks!

Upvote 0

Aggro

• Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12867671/san-diego-chargers-make-33m-profit-rather-paying-23m-rent

The Chargers were supposed to be paying around 25 mil a year in rent. They didn't.

The last time the city made money from the Chargers was 2006, when the team paid net rent of $20,369. Income from two home playoff games was just enough to offset the rent credits and ADA money.

This is from the existing stadium where we might be able to break even if the bolts leave and we give credits to SDSU and use it for other purposes as much as possible. How would that work out for a 1.2 billion dollar stadium? Do we get 150 mill rent a year from the Chargers to cover it? Nope.

For starters we'll be 300 million in the black right out the gate even with this "creative" financing plan. Been on SD roads lately? You need a 4 x 4.

Last, you watch the games on tv same as me so why do we care where the stadium is? :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kareem Korn
    Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
    Sep 6, 2005
    Escondido
    Name
    Buster Brown
    Boat
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12867671/san-diego-chargers-make-33m-profit-rather-paying-23m-rent

The Chargers were supposed to be paying around 25 mil a year in rent. They didn't.

The last time the city made money from the Chargers was 2006, when the team paid net rent of $20,369. Income from two home playoff games was just enough to offset the rent credits and ADA money.

This is from the existing stadium where we might be able to break even if the bolts leave and we give credits to SDSU and use it for other purposes as much as possible. How would that work out for a 1.2 billion dollar stadium? Do we get 150 mill rent a year from the Chargers to cover it? Nope.

For starters we'll be 300 million in the black right out the gate even with this "creative" financing plan. Been on SD roads lately? You need a 4 x 4.

Last, you watch the games on tv same as me so why do we care where the stadium is? :D
    You said there was no economic impact from the Stadium.......I posted the amount of the economic impact from Forbes.....and that is only a couple of Bowl Games.....

Upvote 0

Sherm

May 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Yak
    The hardest part about looking at the revenue and economic impact of the NFL is that it is just very difficult to quantify just how and when revenue is generated. For example. The city is going to host the MLB Allstar game in 2016. That event will reach something like 100 plus countries and shown on television in 13 different languages with a total TV audience of about 46 million people. What do you think that would cost if the city were to advertise San Diego on TV to that kind of audience? I asked the head of the Tourism Marketing district what that would cost and he said his budget was around 30 mil and it would take more than that. Now imagine the Super Bowl (which has a much bigger audience) playing in February when most of the country is shoveling snow. Imagine people watching the game and seeing those cut away shots of hang gliders over Torrey Pines or San Diego Bay, the beach, Zoo, Seaworld. Imagine all the people who now want to come to SD and spend their tourist dollars. The second largest source of income for the city I believe.

The NFL is very important to the city and the Chargers are our team. Let's show the NFL and the Chargers that we want them here.

Upvote 0

Sherm

May 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Yak
    The stadium currently costs taxpayers 10 to 15 million a year. The new plan spends about 7mil a year for thirty years. If you extrapolate 10 to 15 mil a year for thirty years.........we may be a head of the game.

Upvote 0

Aggro

• Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    You said there was no economic impact from the Stadium.......I posted the amount of the economic impact from Forbes.....and that is only a couple of Bowl Games.....
    I didn't realize the college guys were paying that 25 million in rent, but ok. :D "impact" can be both positive or negative. 300 million is a pretty big hole to dig out of.
    The hardest part about looking at the revenue and economic impact of the NFL is that it is just very difficult to quantify just how and when revenue is generated. For example. The city is going to host the MLB Allstar game in 2016. That event will reach something like 100 plus countries and shown on television in 13 different languages with a total TV audience of about 46 million people. What do you think that would cost if the city were to advertise San Diego on TV to that kind of audience? I asked the head of the Tourism Marketing district what that would cost and he said his budget was around 30 mil and it would take more than that. Now imagine the Super Bowl (which has a much bigger audience) playing in February when most of the country is shoveling snow. Imagine people watching the game and seeing those cut away shots of hang gliders over Torrey Pines or San Diego Bay, the beach, Zoo, Seaworld. Imagine all the people who now want to come to SD and spend their tourist dollars. The second largest source of income for the city I believe.

The NFL is very important to the city and the Chargers are our team. Let's show the NFL and the Chargers that we want them here.

If we aren't going to even have a vote, or a vote that counts, why would that matter? All we are doing here is rattling our traps if the voters don't get to vote whether or not we put up millions of dollars of tax funds diverted from other uses. Jus another fleecing for the billionaires. 30 years? When was the last saber rattling from these guys? It won't last close to thirty years.

Love you man :D

Upvote 0

Sherm

May 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Yak
    We will be spending the money (taxpayer dollars) anyway on the stadium. To the tune of 10 to 15 mil a year. Unless we bulldoze the thing then we won't have to spend the money. But an asphalt lot with nothing on it generates no money at all.

Reactions: ConSeaMate
    Upvote 0

Sherm

May 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Yak
    So....if the taxpayers are going to spend that money anyway. Why not spend it on a new stadium that will keep the NFL in SD and bring back the superbowls. Not to mention all the other events a new multiuse stadium could host.

Reactions: ConSeaMate
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Frank, this conversation is about the Chargers. Not bowl games hosting out of town teams and their fans who travel here for said bowl game and stay in hotels for their visit, eat at restaurants visit tourist traps.

Apples and oranges.

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
    Feb 17, 2005
    State of Confusion
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
    We get more revenue from Comic Con.

The Chargers continue to disappoint year after year with their high school football playing abilities.
    Good riddance

Upvote 0