New stadium proposal. What do you think?

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
I think it should be developed into a multi sport complex. Complete with 1/4 mile drag strip, short course off road track, and a new 3/8 mile oval to replace the one gone in El Cajon. Most of these events with the amount of enthusiasts in San Diego could produce near sell outs why are there no new venues to replace them ? Well that's what I think anyway.

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    I think it should be developed into a multi sport complex. Complete with 1/4 mile drag strip, short course off road track, and a new 3/8 mile oval to replace the one gone in El Cajon. Most of these events with the amount of enthusiasts in San Diego could produce near sell outs why are there no new venues to replace them ? Well that's what I think anyway.
    You used to be able to hear Cajon Speedway from Spring Valley. Pretty sure is there was a drag strip in Mission Valley, everyone would have to wear ear plugs within a 5 mile radius.

Upvote 0

polfishski

Oct 5, 2008
    Descanso
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    Perhaps if they thought outside the valley all sports could be handled. Desert property is cheap.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
    Sep 14, 2009
    Socal
    Name
    Debi
    Boat
    Wellcraft Coastal
    I knew this was coming as soon as I heard the announcement by Spano yesterday right after the stadium advisory committee news conference.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    You all realize that the 150 acres the Chargers and Raiders bought for $2 is an old landfill the city has tried for years to get some kind of building approval for? The other 11 acres were bought for $20m.

I think it's just a smoke screen.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    It will take years to develop that old landfill. Spanos are just greedy bastards. We should just wait it out, fuck them. That proposal still hits the tax payers for 300+ or - million without a vote either.

Fix my damn streets.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    I also doubt the nfl will allow 3 teams in LA. You are forgetting the rams are still moving forward on inglewood. Kroenke has the money to pull an Al Davis move the team and tell the league to sue him if they like. His project is also farther along than the charaiders.

Reactions: Pescador Paul
    Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    As expected, the CSAG proposal raises a great many questions.
    14 yrs without an NFL team. What makes them think they can support 2 or 3? If it is a fantastic venue why so long?

The reason that the NFL has not placed a team in Los Angeles is that it has been much more profitable for them to leave the area vacant and allow teams who want new stadiums to threaten to move to Los Angeles. Now that nearly every team has extorted a new stadium from their local taxpayers, along with the fact that it will be difficult to get more money on the next tv contracts without a team in the second largest market, it makes sense for the league to want 1- 2 teams (not 3) in Los Angeles. Spanos, Kroenke, and Davis all realize that the value of their franchise will jump if they move to LA. Check out what the LA Clippers recently sold for.

JMHO

Upvote 0

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
    Mar 4, 2013
    San Diego
    fuck-you-and-the-horse-you-rode-in-on.com
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    26' TwinVee Pilot House
    The bottom line to this argument is the REVENUE San Diego will lose if the Chargers leave. We gotta PAY to PLAY and I don't see a new SD stadium happening without public $$ becoming involved. This is an investment opportunity to keep the revenue stream the Chargers create in town. Without public $$ we will probably lose this team (by being blinder wearing stupidiots) and we will lose out on hotel revenue, restaurant revenue, transportation revenue and a host of other $$ generating opportunities. Over time, not having the Chargers will hurt the city and fuck with my NFL emotional well being....and I don't know if I can handle that:hali_parkutuli:

Is this more about money than football? yes! Will the public need to kick down some cash to assist? Yes. Are WE as San Diegan's STUPID if we let the Chargers leave? Fuck YES.

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
    Jul 22, 2003
    Lakeside
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    How is the NFL a nonprofit?
    They play 8 games here. What's the ROI on a $1,000,000,000+ new stadium?

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    The Chargers are gone and good riddance! I am over them and the NFL. Less Sunday traffic in San Diego, and it will give me more time concentrate and do the the things are more meaningful and important like more surfing, more travel, and adding a few more Sunday fishing trips.

Reactions: Kareem Korn
    Upvote 0

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
    Mar 4, 2013
    San Diego
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    26' TwinVee Pilot House
    The Chargers are gone and good riddance! I am over them and the NFL. Less Sunday traffic in San Diego, .

I hear you bro...the only problem is once the Chargers are gone, the traffic will lighten up but the road conditions will only get worse as our financial ability to $fix$ shit will be in the crapper. How are we going to replace the $$$ stream hole this is going to create???

you gotta take the good with the bad. We need the Chargers for the $$ they generate more than they need us....and that sucks.

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
    Apr 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA.
    Name
    Max
    Boat
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    I hear you bro...the only problem is once the Chargers are gone, the traffic will lighten up but the road conditions will only get worse as our financial ability to $fix$ shit will be in the crapper. How are we going to replace the $$$ stream hole this is going to create???

you gotta take the good with the bad. We need the Chargers for the $$ they generate more than they need us....and that sucks.

I believe with the Chargers out it will FORCE city hall to unfuck OUR budget and properly align priorities. If they can bust their asses to find monies to keep them, then those same monies can be spent on infrastructure. Unfuck the roads, fix the damn water and sewer systems, get more cops on the streets, fix or replace current emergency sytstems...and the list goes on. Fuck sports until the city pulls it's head out of it's collective ass.

Just my .02

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    The phrase is was a non-profit. They changed that status 3 or 4 months ago. Still not sure how they were a non-profit for the previous however many years though.

The NFL, not the teams were non profit. Part of it was a legislative exemption carved out years ago that has been abandoned by the league.

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    The bottom line to this argument is the REVENUE San Diego will lose if the Chargers leave. We gotta PAY to PLAY and I don't see a new SD stadium happening without public $$ becoming involved. This is an investment opportunity to keep the revenue stream the Chargers create in town. Without public $$ we will probably lose this team (by being blinder wearing stupidiots) and we will lose out on hotel revenue, restaurant revenue, transportation revenue and a host of other $$ generating opportunities. Over time, not having the Chargers will hurt the city and fuck with my NFL emotional well being....and I don't know if I can handle that:hali_parkutuli:

Is this more about money than football? yes! Will the public need to kick down some cash to assist? Yes. Are WE as San Diegan's STUPID if we let the Chargers leave? Fuck YES.

Unfortunately, I believe your entire premise is wrong. Sports economists that are not hired by the NFL or individual franchises have repeatedly stated that the overall economic impact of a franchise leaving a city is minimal. http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/mar/03/economic-impact-chargers-leaving-san-diego-would-b/ Nor do new stadiums generate significant revenue. http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1997/06/summer-taxes-noll

That being said, I would hate to see the Chargers leave San Diego. That does not mean I think the city/county should break the bank for a new stadium. I think the proposal from CSAG is about as good a deal for taxpayers as is possible, given the current situation. I also think that this is an issue that should be voted on county wide. Unfortunately, I also suspect that the Chargers are not really interested in staying in San Diego.

JMHO

Reactions: yellowklr
    Upvote 0

Miss Fitz

Call me Captain
    Mar 4, 2013
    San Diego
    Name
    Vince
    Boat
    26' TwinVee Pilot House
    Unfortunately, I believe your entire premise is wrong. Sports economists that are not hired by the NFL or individual franchises have repeatedly stated that the overall economic impact of a franchise leaving a city is minimal. http://www.kpbs.org/news/2015/mar/03/economic-impact-chargers-leaving-san-diego-would-b/ Nor do new stadiums generate significant revenue. http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1997/06/summer-taxes-noll

That being said, I would hate to see the Chargers leave San Diego. That does not mean I think the city/county should break the bank for a new stadium. I think the proposal from CSAG is about as good a deal for taxpayers as is possible, given the current situation. I also think that this is an issue that should be voted on county wide. Unfortunately, I also suspect that the Chargers are not really interested in staying in San Diego.

JMHO

Sure, I'm wrong if I was supporting a single use facility, however, I am not. I've read those pieces plus a few more and (please correct me if I am wrong) it seems their $$ analysis is based on if the facility is single use generating only NFL revenue. As someone up the thread already mentioned, a new stadium should be multi-use...add as many Aztecs games, rodeo's, concerts, motocross, monster truck events, Raves and BBQ's as possible. Fix the shady back room deals, PSL bullshit and take out the walk away clauses. The reports I've read didn't consider additional revenue potential other event types add. I don't know for sure, but it would be interesting to know if a multi-use facility would hypothetically generate enough additional $$ that would make doing it worth the investment.

I agree with you and think the Chargers want to leave more than stay because a new stadium would come sooner if they moved outside of SD. They are tired of talking and waiting and wondering. I get it.

BUT- If we build a new stadium just for the Chargers to be used only part of the year, then we are a bunch of tools. We need the Chargers for their part of the revenue stream and as a conduit for making a multi use facility happen.

I'm sure going to miss them when they're gone and I think we'll lose a lot of city pride with them.

My <$0.02

Last edited:
    Upvote 0