New Skipjack 20 open owner: does my truck tow?

Noah Sinclair

Mar 27, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Noah Sinclair
Boat
Skipjack
I have a Tacoma 2wd v6 w/towing package. Will my truck get her out of the water and back to the storage area at Newport Dunes? I've researched but everyone Ive talked to has a different answer. Any other skippy owners out there help me? I'm new, traded up from my 18ft Achilles inflatable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Revival

Almost A Member
Aug 31, 2012
NB
Name
Nathan
Boat
20' skipjack flybridge
I have a Tacoma 2wd v6 w/towing package. Will my truck get her out of the water and back to the storage area at Newport Dunes? I've researched but everyone o talk to varies. Anyone other skippy owners out there help me? I'm new, traded up from my 18ft Achilles inflatable

No problem! I have the same truck and boat. Never had a problem, make sure to have A/T tires.

Reactions: Noah Sinclair
Upvote 0

Noah Sinclair

Mar 27, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Noah Sinclair
Boat
Skipjack
No problem! I have the same truck and boat. Never had a problem, make sure to have A/T tires.[/QUOT
Awesome, that calms some of my nerves! I have newer TOYO Open Country AT tires. The trailer is a pacific in good shape with brakes. Do you ever tow yours further, say to the gas station? Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Revival

Almost A Member
Aug 31, 2012
NB
Name
Nathan
Boat
20' skipjack flybridge
I towed it from north LA and around orange county with no problems.
I usually only tow around town but have done a few trips on the freeway and it handles fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
Feb 8, 2009
www.spacex.com
Name
David
Boat
Skipjack 20 open
I dont know about the Tacoma but a skippy 20 weight is listed between 3200 and 3800 #s add your trailer weight. My 20 with a 65 gallons of gas weights 3720 trailer is 820 total weight 4540 #s I have not had a problem getting it out of Huntington harbor at low or high tide with my Nissan Titan 2wd. I plan on being down there this sunday afternoon to do some waxing. If you are down there and need help let me know.

Reactions: Noah Sinclair
Upvote 0

Noah Sinclair

Mar 27, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Noah Sinclair
Boat
Skipjack
I dont know about the Tacoma but a skippy 20 weight is listed between 3200 and 3800 #s add your trailer weight. My 20 with a 65 gallons of gas weights 3720 trailer is 820 total weight 4540 #s I have not had a problem getting it out of Huntington harbor at low or high tide with my Nissan Titan 2wd. I plan on being down there this sunday afternoon to do some waxing. If you are down there and need help let me know.
Thanks! Although HB is my home port I have a spot at the Dunes for a few months so will probably be launching from there! The weights you posted helped as Im sure we are pretty close to the same weight give or take a few #'s! See ya on the H2O

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Humm, I have a Tacoma Pre-runner V6 auto 2WD, it beary does a decent job towing the Whaler around! Ie the 4.3L S10 auto did a much better job with the whaler. Big boat big tuck! Good luck. I sunk a tuck at the Dunes once. They don't get over that.

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Humm, I have a Tacoma Pre-runner V6 auto 2WD, it beary does a decent job towing the Whaler around! Ie the 4.3L S10 auto did a much better job with the whaler. Big boat big tuck! Good luck. I sunk a tuck at the Dunes once. They don't get over that.

What year? Maybe you have a banana in the tailpipe stuck in there from a while back:rolleyes:. My 4Runner tows the whaler like it's not even there.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I have a Tacoma 2wd v6 w/towing package. Will my truck get her out of the water and back to the storage area at Newport Dunes? I've researched but everyone Ive talked to has a different answer. Any other skippy owners out there help me? I'm new, traded up from my 18ft Achilles inflatable.
It can be answered via the Toyota website, or any number of towing websites. Inside your door jam is the answer to how much you can tow. Take the TOTAL weight of your rig, boat, gear, trailer, fuel and compare the two numbers. Do remember that when you do this comparison, the amount of weight the truck can pull INCLUDES the weight inside of your truck--the people, the gear, etc./all.
But also keep in mind that if you are right at the limit, you will get sag at the rear of the ruck--and this changes your headlight angle--I don't know your truck, but mine has an easy adjustment (my Toyota) and I need to set that to bring the lights back down to a normal driving angle. Also, as you push the limit, anti sway bars and excellent brakes come to play. Does your trailer have surge, or electric brakes. Even if you are in spec--it makes one HUGE difference if your trailer's brakes come on the instant you touch your brakes (electric) vs surge which requires weight to be applied as the trailer "surges forward" before coming on. Last, take it out on the road and just drive the damn thing--and practice hitting the brakes. For most of us, that convinces us that we need a lot of extra space between our truck and the car in front of us

Upvote 0

yknot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2007
Garden Grove
Name
Grady
Boat
None
It will tow it fine. Power is not an issue. Not sure the launch ramp you are concerned with, but that should not be an issue either. Stopping is what you will need to be concerned about. Your truck is designed to tow that weight it sounds like. It just will stop slower/longer than your previous boat.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If it a newer model, no problem at all. Should be well within the limits, I believe the 2015/16 Tacos are rated to something like 6300lbs? I wouldn't give it a second thought, just leave twice the room you normally would.

Upvote 0

Noah Sinclair

Mar 27, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Noah Sinclair
Boat
Skipjack
If it a newer model, no problem at all. Should be well within the limits, I believe the 2015/16 Tacos are rated to something like 6300lbs? I wouldn't give it a second thought, just leave twice the room you normally would.
It's a 2013 w/tow option . I pulled her out yesterday no problems. A little nervous though. I didn't want to get tires "wet" but had to get the bunk under the water to have bow sit high and transom all the way on bunk. Now it's to the gas station as my next mission.

Reactions: Unassailable
Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
It's a 2013 w/tow option . I pulled her out yesterday no problems. A little nervous though. I didn't want to get tires "wet" but had to get the bunk under the water to have bow sit high and transom all the way on bunk. Now it's to the gas station as my next mission.

Just be sure to change transmission fluid twice as recommended if you'll tow a lot. Easy preventative maintenance. May want to look at airbags for the rear if you have a lot of sag as well.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
2003 Pre Runner, the S10 was a 1997, Towing to Castic, Silverwood or Pyramid lake. Both are auto. The S10 also rides better and is a lot quieter. The rear end on the S10 is too soft, and needs helper springs. The Tacoma is too hard but it also needs helper springs to reduce spring wrap. PS they both get about the same MPG. The S10 is rated at 6000lbs 180Hp, 245 Ft-Lb @ 2800. The Pre-Runner is rated at 5000lbs 190hp, 220 ft lbs @3600 RPM. They seem very close, but they are not, over 10% more torque at 800 lower RPM makes a big difference. I'm sure the S10 weighs more as well. I took the Pre-Runner camping at Silverwood fully loaded with the Whaler in tow. It made it, but it was not pretty she could not hold 58 MPH in any gear. That make the tow rating about 3K at best as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigeasy

yeah, yeah!
Jun 18, 2008
Vallejo, CA
Name
Eric W.
Boat
Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
Sounds like you need a bigger truck! I have a Dakota and I pulled a 20ft Reinell Cuddy Cabin with it and that was a struggle! Braking you need twice the stopping distance which mean you will hit someone eventually! Get a bigger truck and pulling that boat out of the hole at the launch won't be a piece of cake! 4X4 is what you need and 1500 or more!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
The voice of reason I see. Full size Chevy HD 1/2 ton 4X4. Good choice, mine has a 5L. It's old ugly and orange. The AC doesn't work, but it's the right tool for the job. FYI, if you want to drag that boat up and down hills, you are going to need more truck than mine. The boat weighs in at 5000lbs on the hoof. You can't trust what the manufactures say about there tow ratings. A lot of it is BS.I had a 2.8L V6 powered Jimmy. It had a tow rating of 3500lbs. It could hardly tow it's own A up the grapevine. If you own a boat larger than that Skippy you will need a 3/4 ton. Your trailer brakes also need to work if you are going to tow a freeway speeds.

Upvote 0