New Setup Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Greenbergler, Feb 18, 2017.

1. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    the 40 is probably bigger than you need. for the rod something in the 7'-8' rod will be fine thats for you to decide.

2. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    $100 California is all you need. Great rod for great price. Shit even an 8' Sabre from Big 5.

I bought one each for my two buddies that only fish a 4-day once year. They are still killing fish.

3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I've got a 7' Penn Sabre 20-50 in great condition I will let go for $30. It's what one of my x40 reels was on before I upgraded. It's a cheap option to get you by until you get the addiction for the expensive stuff and you WILL get the addiction.

4. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    Friend's boston whaler 210 montauk
    will the fred hall show have deals on this reel? someone told me probably not because its not new. should i wait for that and try to get a better rod at a discounted price?

5. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I don't think its worth buying anything cheaper than a Penn fathom. They are amazing reels, and a real value. Get yourself a Fathom 25N Star drag, and you'll have the ability to catch 99% of what you hook with it.You can fish 20lb, 25lb, 30lb, even 40lb on that reel, and it has amazing freespool.

FishAcquisition likes this.
  6. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    actually get this: https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/for-sale-avet-mxl-5-8-mc.648954/

I use that reel 95% of the time when i fish, at the island or offshore. The only time you will be undergunned with that reel is with those bigger bluefin... I almost landed a 70lb yellowfin with it on a 8.5' rod, but I got chewed off after an hour long battle due to the lighter line.

And, the perks of having that reel are that it is extremely easy to maintain, has amazing freespool, and is really an incredibly smooth performing reel. And, I've had mine for almost 8 years with no issues at all.
    -Aren

7. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Fathom 25n, calstar 800m or seeker 6480, 3/4 filled with 65lb braid, top shot of 30lb izor. Now go kill everything from Rockcod to tuna. In a pinch you can fish a bait, a yoyo jig or even surface iron once your casting gets better. It's a jack of all trades rig, really excels at 25-40lb bait fishing but can be used for many things in a pinch.

Edit: A torium 16 would also be a good choice for a reel for this.