New Setup Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Greenbergler, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    Friend's boston whaler 210 montauk
    Hello. Just started getting into ocean fishing at the end of last season. Managed to get one yellowtail and one yellowfin. Both about 30-35 lbs. currently I'm using my dad's gear that is about 20 years old. I'm looking to get a new setup that won't break the bank but is still good. I'm looking at the Diawa reels. I don't know which one to get tho. Sealine vs seagate. What are your opinions/thoughts? And paired with maybe an 8' pole? I just want something that can handle the Catalina yellows and the decent size tuna. I have a penn senator 4/0 and a jigmaster 500 also. thabks for any advice/thoughts

2. Truman

Truman Member

Name:
    Truman
    Boat:
    Arima SR19 "Island Time"
    Live baiting? Chunking? Trolling? High speed trolling? Deep dropping? What are your plans?

3. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    I figure I can use the penn 4/0 for trolling so this would be like a iron and live bait setup If that even makes sense haha

4. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I know you are looking at the Diawas but have you considered the Penn Fathoms? Great value, excellent 2 speeds for anything from 20# to 60#, depending on which one you choose. I'd check out the Penn Fathom 25N 2 Speed for your needs. You can live bait fish or yoyo with it. Good luck.

5. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    I'm no type set on the Diawa. SOMeone told me about them and I like the price. I'll check out the penn

6. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    penn fathoms are pretty nice reels i'd check them out
    you also might want to look through the classifieds on this site I've gotten a couple nice come ups on here
    good luck with searching!

7. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Mima
    United composites tilefish jr and okuma andros 5ii 20-40lb

J.AkuHed likes this.
  8. Truman

Truman Member

Name:
    Truman
    Boat:
    Arima SR19 "Island Time"
    If money wasn't a problem, I would suggest Makaira 20SEa. I have 50W SEa that will strictly be for trolling but heard from lots of SD long range guys about them. Also heard good things about Penn 16VSX. Then again I only troll so what do I know..:confused:

9. dave_k

dave_k Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Whaler
    If you're just starting, I'd recommend looking for a couple lower priced setups rather than 1 higher end one. I've caught a ton of tuna, wsb, yellows etc on daiwa sealines and $50 rods. Once you figure out what type of fishing you like to do most then you can upgrade your gear in that category. theres a ton of used gear out there for great prices, and with Fred Hall coming up there will be some great deals there.

10. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    What would be a good rod for the sealine or seagate? I'm liking the $50 rods mentioned haha

11. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    Think I'm gonna go with the sealine. What size would be a good size and with what rod? Mainly fishing for yellows wsb tuna and dorado if possible this year. Also what line would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions but I just wanna make sure I get the right setup if I'm spending the money

12. dave_k

dave_k Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Whaler
    For all around application I like the 30. Load it with 50 or 65 braid and you can fish a top shot of 20-40. If you're gonna get 2 do a 20 to fish 20-25, and a 35 for 30-40. The sealines are great reels but you'll be pushing its limits with 40#, imo. Might want to step up to the seagate or something else for that class.

Keep an eye out on the Fred Hall specials. I hate Turners but they always have some good deals at the show.

13. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I have several Sealines 2) X40ha and an X20ha. Although I have upgraded all my older rods to Calstars, I still use all three. I wouldn't fish topshots over #40 on them, but anything under that, they do quite well. Freespool is great (one 40 lives on my 90j jigstick) and the 20 filled with 50# spectra to 5' flouro for flyline is my go to for any fish under 50lbs.

14. SlantEyEdTuna

SlantEyEdTuna Member

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Thresher
    If you want a cheap rod I hear the okuma Cortez rods are the best bang for the buck. As for reel on a budget I'd go with the okuma cortez or Daiwa seagate over the sealine.

funnyguy likes this.
  15. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    What's the difference in the sealine and seagate?

16. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
    Daiwa Lexa 400 paired with a Cousins raze RSW 839T

17. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Budget gear 101: Used is best but if you want new and cheap a Daiwa Sealine XHA 30 or 40 is $125 and West Marine has discontinued the Black Tip West Coast series of rods, they are on sale at ~$65. There is a 15-25 and a 25-40. I have two of each with xha 30's and 40's respectively. Under $200 combo, can't beat that.
    As mentioned above in a higher class the Penn Fathom 25NLD2 or 30LD2 is the bomb as far as bang for your buck. Pair it with a Daiwa Proteus rod (retail $189) and you probably cant buy a better combo for the price. I took BFT to 90 lbs last fall with the F30LD2/ Proteus 30-60 7' rod with ease. Under $500. I also caught the exact same fish with a $1000+ Avet/ UC combo, landed them more quickly with the Proteus, go figure.
    Quality shows over time and in 5 years the more expensive gear will probably prevail but technology advances and we evolve as fisherman. We buy new toys whether we need them or not. If you pay $200 for a rig that only lasts 2-3 seasons, do you care ????? I have a drawer full of Tiagra's and International's I paid high dollars for but don't use, they are basically obsolete for So Cal style fishing. I say get started with inexpensive gear and see where the hobby leads you ;)

short-range likes this.
  18. Axanthicsurf

Axanthicsurf Newbie

Name:
    Ben Villa
    Boat:
    None but got a kayak
    I am pretty much in the same boat, I agree with those above about the fathom 2 speed. I have been researching for awhile and they are the best bang for the buck indeed, also could get them far less than msrp if you look around brand new. Im planning to get the 25 & 30 size for my set ups and hope to have some fun soon. I've been surfcasting for years and my wrist hurst after awhile, so here I'm hoping the two speed will be of good use!

19. Greenbergler

Greenbergler Member

Name:
    Corey Greenberg
    Boat:
    just went to the long fin and talked with bluefin jim and he convinced me to get the seagate 40. he showed me an 8' california classic rod to pair with it. anyone ever hear of these rods? or anyone have any suggestions of other rods that are $300?

20. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    For a solid lower cost setup I would recommend the Daiwa Sealine x 30sha with Daiwa VIP 870 rod. You can do a lot with this setup.