PENN

Vikingman

Apr 16, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Tim
Boat
24ft Skipjack Molly M
Monday on the New Seaforth, fishing west of the Islands toward the 302 with 46 anglers. The large boat handled 46 anglers well. Some seasick on the way out and then it calmed down. Drifted five miles all day on one group of fish. Everyone caught fish with a total of over 160 yellowfin. People were begging for topshot mono but none to be had. The sardines were smaller and resulted in some tangles in the morning. Due to tangles, I put away my braid rig and switched to my 30 lb mono top shot rig with a 20 lb flouro leader and mustad #2 hook. The captain was telling everyone to use the lighter setup.

Don't soak your bait. Give it ten seconds and if it doesn't run, switch it out. Butt hook worked the best. The fish are very powerful, so lighten up your drag a bit so that you avoid breaking that 20 lb leader on the first run. If you have a lever drag you might want to bring it up slowly on the first run. Don't ask me how I know that.

Great captain, great crew. The anglers also were polite to each other. No self centered crazies to deal with.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Solid report, solid recommendations, and most importantly a solid day on the water.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Reactions: HolyDiver90
    Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat
    Lard ass
    :D:appl::cheers:

bbd6c88f975680c67d37d7c40692e759.gif