SergeyS

Oct 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
charkbait.com
Name
Sergey Smith
Boat
Imaginary
🤨that’s a little odd. I don’t see why they would do it in that model. I have the 35ha and if functions as a clicker not a spool lock
They are based on the Japanese spec of the Saltiga reels, over there they only make the 10, 15 and 35 size all of which come with spool locks since they are jigging reels for their market. In the US the 10's and 15's retain the spool lock, and you can even buy 3 parts to change them over to auto-engage when you turn the handle since they are a good jigging size. The 20, 30, 35, 40 and 50 in the US all come with a centrifugal cast control instead. The spool locks are great for bottom fishing and jigging, and getting unsnagged on light action rods.

Reactions: Victorg9912

Victorg9912

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2020
Los Ángeles
Name
Victor Garcia
Boat
Defiance
They are based on the Japanese spec of the Saltiga reels, over there they only make the 10, 15 and 35 size all of which come with spool locks since they are jigging reels for their market. In the US the 10's and 15's retain the spool lock, and you can even buy 3 parts to change them over to auto-engage when you turn the handle since they are a good jigging size. The 20, 30, 35, 40 and 50 in the US all come with a centrifugal cast control instead. The spool locks are great for bottom fishing and jigging, and getting unsnagged on light action rods.
Great information 👍🏻

wahbam

May 18, 2013
Irvine
Name
PATRICK THUNYAKIJ
Boat
None
I put 40lb of the saltiga boat braid. Almost 400 yards. I put it on a daiwa proteus wn 80mh and it felt nice. I’m thinking of pairing it with a mega that I’m having built.
I love my UC Mega! I put my Penn Fathom15ld2 on it but switch it back and forth with my Calstar 800. I would love to upgrade my Penn Fathom15ld2 to that new Saltiga but it's pricey!

Victorg9912

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2020
Los Ángeles
Name
Victor Garcia
Boat
Defiance
I love my UC Mega! I put my Penn Fathom15ld2 on it but switch it back and forth with my Calstar 800. I would love to upgrade my Penn Fathom15ld2 to that new Saltiga but it's pricey!
Yeah. 499 plus tax. I can get them for 430 if you are interested.

Reactions: wahbam

ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
🤨that’s a little odd. I don’t see why they would do it in that model. I have the 35ha and if functions as a clicker not a spool lock
Yes its a very stupid design concept. Either put in a clicker or don't. Adding a spool lock feature that looks like a clicker is just plain stupid. If people are hung up on kelp or bottom, they can always put a finger on the spool and pull. The original Saltiga 15, 20 and 30 star drag reels didn't even have the clicker at all, so I'm fine with that.

Calico Killer

Mar 8, 2008
W. LA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Boat
Yes its a very stupid design concept. Either put in a clicker or don't. Adding a spool lock feature that looks like a clicker is just plain stupid. If people are hung up on kelp or bottom, they can always put a finger on the spool and pull. The original Saltiga 15, 20 and 30 star drag reels didn't even have the clicker at all, so I'm fine with that.
This feature was designed for another market. Imagine that. Besides, it's only a stupid concept if you don't know how it works. For those fishing heavy braid with heavy leaders on small reels, the spool fingering to break off can and will bend spool shafts.

Mandaragat

Sep 5, 2012
Texas
Name
Mark
Boat
None
Auto engage and spool lock are necessary features of a dedicated vertical jigging reels. Using it for other purposes will be stupidity. I know there are those who used a jigging reel for casting and lost expensive lures when the handle rotated a little and engaged the gear.

You can’t break a 30lb line just by thumbing the spool when you snag bottom. A 30lb line has an actual breaking strength around 50lbs connected using a PR knot and you need to break 40lbs-45lbs with your thumb.

Reactions: Texas Tuna

Exodus

Jun 20, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
Looking for some first hand knowledge on how well these can cast a live bait. In particular, the 20 size is what I'm most interested in. In the shop, free-spool seems amazing.