new regs

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by Jose Caballero, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Jose Caballero

Jose Caballero Member

Name:
    Jose Caballero
    Boat:
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    hey, has anyone else had a chance to review the new rule changes for 2019? i'm slow to digest and had to stop after a quick pass... but did the lingcod limit drop to one?! perhaps i'm mistaken, if you're confident please LMK...

2. benrd81

benrd81 Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    You have a link to the new regs. Can't find them posted anywhere?

3. Junglepeanut

Junglepeanut Lost at Sea

Name:
    Roger
    Boat:
    Parker 1800
    Yea I heard that rumor but have not seen it for myself

4. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    New regs are coming as NOAA just doubled or more in some cases the annual catch total of most groundfish species. The question is how long will it take the state to make adjustments the regs.

5. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Yup, heard depth was increased in and out of cow cod conservation, no sculpin closure, 1 lingcod and able to cut sheepshead on the boat.

6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    If this pans out, its is huge news for the fleet and PBs alike.

7. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    For sculpin yes, north of pt conception yes. Socal? Only so much. The proposed socal regs would push legal depth out to 450 feet in local areas and 240 feet in cowcod areas. 360 to 450 does not make much impact to me. The 240 in the cowcod areas is great if you are that far offshore for rockfish. Nice for sb island and san nick I guess. And we lose a lingcod. Not so huge for socal. Depth changes, possible changes to canary and yelloweye limits are a big deal for northern guys. Cdfw still has to approve changes though.

8. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I live in a south of Point Conception World :D

I was mainly thinking it would open some awesome "new" areas like you said above. It would be really awesome if they re-considered what the depth restrictions mean to the offshore banks as well and the GPS definitions of the fathom curves.

At the very least it unlocks a massive area around Nick, heck I might even get to see Begg Rock before I die.

makairaa likes this.
  9. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    It would be pretty big for the party boat fleet. 240 depth limit at San Nicholas would open up twice as much ground or more. That island in particular is heavily held back by the depth limit - there is a massive amount of territory in the 120 to 240 feet zone. Santa Barbara island would also become a more attractive target. But that island is still too small to support consistent fishing by itself.

For private boats, more important will be whether they draw contour lines for off shore banks. The two most important ones for private boats will be the 60 miles bank and the Osborn bank. Both are fairly large, rock habitats with the ability to support a dozen boats fishing at the same time, and both are in range for your typical private boat. Then there's Tanner and Cortez, but I doubt any private boat is going that far for rock fish.

For the 360 to 450 change near shore, I doubt it'll make a big difference. I've drifted into the 400 feet zone before while fishing for sand dabs, and when I pass over a rock, there will be rock fish, but none of them all that impressive. Maybe more experienced guys know a few spots from the old days, but not too excited here. I think we'd need a full 600 feet to see a difference, here, but that's probably asking for too much.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  10. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Most of the boats that fish san nick already limit out with the current regs and the boats already cannot get off the dock half the time due to not enough passengers. These changes will help private boaters some, not much for the party boats. Sure there will be the short term improvement in fishing the deeper spots until they wind up picked over like shallow spots. Then same old same old.

11. Jose Caballero

Jose Caballero Member

Name:
    Jose Caballero
    Boat:
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    here's the fed, i think adopted today (i got my commercial notice today):
    https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...coast-states-pacific-coast-groundfish-fishery

as mentioned by others, not adopted yet by CDFW. if i skimmed correctly, south of conception: yes better contours, yes depth changes, yes sculpin seasons, yes cut SH, and my understanding was, -1 ling. still, NO canary/yelloweye. significant changes to comm quotas, not sure how that will impact rec quotas (and i wasn't sure wether depth changes were rec or only comm).

12. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I don't think it's an issue with being picked over. The issue with fishing shallow in Southern California is that many rock fish just don't go that shallow. Instead, it's white fish city around 100 feet. Up north, there's more rock fish at this depth. But down south, you just can't avoid the white fish at 100 feet and will end up being limited just by that, as they've taken over many of the shallow rock areas.

Opening it to 240 feet will help with this problem. Still not ideal as the big rock fish mostly sit in the 300 feet zone, but I do think it will help even beyond the initial improvement in quality, as white fish concentrations tend to drop off quickly past 200 feet.

13. RonnyB

RonnyB Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Panga
    According to Sportfishing Magazine:

Southern California anglers will get to fish deeper waters for rockfish, lingcod and other groundfish in 2019, thanks to action taken today by the California Fish and Game Commission. As of March 1, 2019, anglers can pursue groundfish in depths to 450 feet (as opposed to 350 feet now) and in depths to 240 feet in Cowcod Conservation Areas (as opposed to 120 feet now). The regulations also include a reduction in the lingcod daily bag limit in 2019 to one fish vs. the current limit of two fish.

These changes bring the state regulations into line with groundfish changes made recently by the Pacific Fishery Management Council for the 2019/20 season.

Here is a recap of all the changes in groundfish regulations for 2019/20 .
    1. Increase the allowable depth for the recreational groundfish fishery from 60 to 75 fathoms in the Southern Management Area and from 20 to 40 fathoms in the Cowcod Conservation Area;
    2. Increase the recreational season length for groundfish in the San Francisco Management Area by two weeks;
    3. Increase the recreational season length for California scorpionfish by removing the September 1 to December 31 closure in the Mendocino, San Francisco, Central and Southern Management Areas;
    4. Increase the recreational bag limit for canary rockfish from one to two fish statewide;
    5. Decrease the recreational bag limit for lingcod from two to one fish in Mendocino, San Francisco, Central, and Southern Management Areas;
    6. Replace language referencing numerical values for cabezon and greenling total allowable catch limits with references to federal annual catch limits in federal regulation;
    7. Eliminate language referencing allocation limits for cabezon and greenling from Section 52.10; and
    8. Increase commercial trip limits to 500 pounds for cabezon and 250 pounds for greenling.

14. Azarkon

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    So it's official now?

15. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Azarkon likes this.
  16. Keauhou

Keauhou Member

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    1801 Parker
    I wonder what the philosophy is to decrease the lingcod take to only one. Fairly recently it was up to three and has decreased since.
    Seems like the Ling population is strong when I look at the sport counts.

17. Junglepeanut

Junglepeanut Lost at Sea

Name:
    Roger
    Boat:
    Parker 1800

I love ling fishing and the new regs don't bother me because I usually let them go anyway but I am a little surprised at lowering to 1 fish. I would have guessed they would raise the size to say 25 inches and leave it 2 fish because the populations do seem strong but I gave up trying to understand how they make their decisions

Tony O'Connell and jscott like this.
  18. fishr

fishr Newbie

Name:
    Fish
    Boat:
    none
    I don't know how they make these decisions but bigger fish are much better at spawning than smaller ones. It's better for the long term population to remove barely-adult fish rather than the more mature ones.

19. makairaa

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Males mature at only 2 years old and females at 3. They would probably have to raise the size limit by more than a couple of inches to make any difference with their growth rate. Population still seems ok to me too.

20. alwaysbendo

alwaysbendo Newbie

Name:
    Vinnnnn
    Boat:
    23' seacraft
    What about the cherry bank?