surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I decided to get a new rangefinder as part of the preparation for guiding my wife on her elk hunt next month. I had been leaning towards the Leopold models after looking at all of the various YouTube videos posted about the different manufacturers and models, and finally decided to buy the new Leopold RX-850iTBR for only about $250 instead of the $400 models that were tempting me.

After a couple of weeks of playing around with it I am REALLY glad about my selection. I know that there is no way she or I will ever attempt a shot much beyond 400 yards, there could be a massive world-record critter at 800 yards and it would be perfectly safe from me unless I could close the distance by at least half. So the "1,000 yard-plus" capabilities of some of the rangefinders would be unneeded by me, and the RX-850 will read animal-reflective targets to over 600 yards and more reflective targets to about 800 yards, so it is fine for my purposes. It also has TBR which lets me put in my rifle load and then if I am zeroed at 200 yards (and I am) then I am good to go to 400 yards and more by telling me the appropriate bullet drop at the range including uphill or downhill angle .

If you are in the market for a compact, simple-to-use, rugged, waterproof rangefinder that won't break your budget then I suggest that you give a serious look at the new Leopold RX-850i.

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
I use the further distance to see where I could stalk to get with in my range. Once you get out there you'll find more uses for the longer distance.

Good luck on your elk hunt!

Reactions: surfgoose

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
I see what you are going for, Mark. If I only carried one glass then an extra-strong rangefinder would be the way to go. I carry a Canon stabilized 10x binocular for looking way out there.

Thanks for the good wishes. I really expect this to be the very easiest big game hunt of our lives. An easy day or two, mostly road hunting, total elevation to climb maybe ten feet. The only hard part of the hunt was getting drawn for it. And then trying to decide which cow elk looks the tenderest.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Older ones usally hang in the back of the herd usally with a sway back and low belly.....grand ma is always good or a youngin he'll take the first one that gives you a shot. If you kill the herd cow the others will stick around if you have two tags

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
We'll sneak up and look them over good. My biggest worry is the possibility with the Hornady GMX copper alloy we're going to use is that it might punch clear through and possibly take out a second cow on the far side if I don't look very, very close. I'm encouraging Pat to go through the shoulder but she has this history of hitting just in front of the shoulder at the center of the neck, which has resulted in dropping deer in their tracks instantly but of course the .270 lasers straight through the spine and out the other side. Not a problem with a lone deer but in a herd. . .

The only prior time I have persuaded her to take a mid-shoulder hold was on a very long range pronghorn, and I under-estimated the range just enough (or perhaps she held low, but I'm never going to say that out loud) so that the bullet creased across the width of the chest and shattered both front legs. It fell in its' tracks but then to our surprise bounced back up and started hobbling/stumbling away, falling down constantly. I ran up a hundred yards and put a finishing shot into it. Pat was NOT happy about that shot. But kneeling from 400 yards? I was proud of her.

This trip we are taking a tripod support like they use in Africa, I will get us to within 200 yards so the rifle will hit where the crosshairs are aimed, and we have three full days to find a couple of hundred elk in the Grizzly Island Wildlife Area which is only a half-dozen square miles of area. I'll get it done.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Lots of cows & spikes coming out of that area this year for the youth hunters. Check TOF both hunters will fill you in on the area and all the procedures. Just ask for help good group of guys over there.

Don't shoot anything if stacked with copper......behind the shoulder is where you want to shoot them copper or not their vitals are all behind the shoulder. I'd try for a qt away shot hit in front of the hip liver & lungs are right there.
And if it doesn't go down or do the elk stagger put another in her. And if she does go down reload and hold on her incase she does get up. Too bad you can't use lead!

Last edited:

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
Yeah, Mark, I started out aiming just behind the shoulder (and being successful) up in the Paso Robles area, in scattered oak open country, but some years later when I was with DFG in LA and Orange County there were a number of times that I had to try to help hunters recover the deer that they had shot behind the shoulder and even though it was a mortal wound the deer ran fifty or a hundred yards into thick cover before dying, and was really a challenge to find and drag out.

Having dressed out a bunch of deer and pronghorn, and elk are laid out the same internally, a bullet that breaks the shoulder also takes out the lungs, and often the top of the heart too. And although you lose a shoulder roast the critter doesn't travel nearly as far. So unless you are shooting in a meadow I now always advise a mid-shoulder shot broadside, and if quartering then hold to exit through the far shoulder.

It always seemed to surprise hunters that a fairly small deer, a hundred to a hundred and fifty pounds, could be solidly hit in the vitals with a serious bullet and yet not immediately fall over, but rather bound out of sight. Adrenaline rush is an amazing phenomenon.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
50-100yds id say that's as good as it can get....heart or liver shots seems to send them running a long was off eventhough they're dead on their feet. Now when the lungs are hit they don't seem to go as far.

Good luck hope she gets one close to the road