NEW PRODUCT INFO - PENN's SQUALL LD2

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by PENN, Jun 28, 2013.

1. PENN

PENN Service Team Advertiser

Name:
    PENN
    Boat:
    PENN
    SQL50VSW_small.jpg Big Game Fishing Just Got a Lot Lighter.</SPAN>
    In addition to the Quick-Shift™ 2-speed system, the Squall Lever Drag offers great fish fighting features. The lightweight graphite frame and sideplates house tough, machined stainless steel main and pinion gears that are drilled out for weight reduction. Four shielded stainless steel ball bearings deliver smooth cranking power </SPAN>and the Dura Drag system eliminates hesitation and surging under extreme drag settings.</SPAN>

The spool is made from forged and machined aluminum with the added touch of Line Capacity Rings to keep the angler in the know at a glance on how much line remains on the spool. The double dog ratchet anti reverse eliminates back-play in the handle and is twice as strong as a typical single dog system.</SPAN>

Offered in three sizes - 16, 30 wide and 50 wide with retail price points at $250, $300 and $350. Available September, 2013.</SPAN></SPAN>
    Watch the video here:</SPAN></SPAN> http://bit.ly/PENNSquallLD2</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

2. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    A nice bluefin tuna caught while field-testing the 2-speed Squall SQL16VS on our recent Penn trip aboard the Shogun!

SQL30VSW test.jpg

3. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    Sick! So same dog configuration as whats in the baja special?

4. tunanorth

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Baja Special is a star drag, so the internal configuration will be somewhat different [though both do have double AR dogs]. The SQLLD2's are really closest to Internationals regarding internal configuration.

5. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Will the new Squall LD2 reels be made in the US? They list for more than the $250 cut off.

6. tunanorth

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

No, they will be produced offshore.
    The former $250 "threshold" will be flexing somewhat in the future, as the $199 retail-priced "Z" spinning reels are US-made.

7. ReelDealAngler

ReelDealAngler Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate

I have been looking for an inexpensive trolling reel that can take the abuse for the 3-8 day offshore trolling gig as I don't like to use my higher end lever drags for the troll in that application... looks like these new reels will fill that niche very well as they are well built with quality gears and drag material and they are a graphite frame which is more corrosion resistant against the splish/splash water intrusion you often get while hanging your troll reel off the rail of a LR boat. Not sure if I would want to tackle a larger grade YFT or that bruiser Bigeye on one of these new reels (wondering why they are so big... 30W & 50W?), but they are much better suited for the 3-8 day offshore troll gig overall than my current Newell converted 4/0's, especially being a 2-speed, lever drag over a single speed, star drag. Wish that Penn would have made a regular 30 size or (TLD 30 size) instead of the wide version, not sure if the 16 size will work with 80lb braid to 60lb/80lb mono top shot (my standard offshore troll terminal setup), but the 16 version in the Penn video posted on this thread looks larger than a 16VSX to me.

Will definitely check them out once the hit the retail shelves out west.

Tight lines and blue skies!

8. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    So Steve / Penn, could a person use this reel as a 50# bait reel hooked up to a 700H or 700XH Carnage rod?

9. tunanorth

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

It would certainly do it, but it is larger than you really need [unless using straight 50 mono with no braid], and is not "topless". Definitely a bit too much reel for a 700H.

10. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    So a 16 sitting on top of a 700XH would not make a good 50# rig? Yeah, i know the rod is rated 40-100#'s. So what would be best to use the 16 for?

11. tunanorth

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    FWIW, I personally put a 12VSX on my CARBW700XH, usually with a 60-pound topshot.
    It will certainly do 50-pound very well, but I have the luxury of also having a TRQ40N on a CARBW700H for 50-pound work.
    A 16-size reel is another order of magnitude larger; with a 16VSX, I may put only 50 on it for general purpose trolling at the East Cape, or I may fish 80 or even 100 topshots on it for finesse cow fishing or dropper-looping, and its also the perfect size for monster halibut in Alaska, and many kinds of sharking.
    Graphite reels will not do everything metal reels will do, so it really depends on your intended applications.
    The beauty of tackle addiction is that you can create a scenario for all of it, which seems to motivate you to go out and do it!