tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Just filled a couple 15XN reels and a 15. Surprised the 15XN took 350 yards of JB hollow 40# and the 15 took 400 yards. Same line winder and line. Looking forward to a 3 day this weekend to put them through their paces.

Interesting. It may be that when the hollow flattens out, it "lays" differently on a wider spool vs. a narrower spool.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Exactly how large a tuna can you handle with a TRQ15XNLD2?
The good news is, this 90-pounder hit the deck of the Vagabond courtesy of a 15XN, filled with 50-pound Pro-Spec Solid braid, and a 20 foot topshot of 40-pound Pro-Spec Fluorocarbon, fishing at Guadalupe Island.

Steve 15XN 1.JPG

Last edited:

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
19-year old PENN ambassador Nathan Winicki of Oceanside was also aboard the Vagabond, and put the TRQ15XNLD through its paces, and gave this testimonial:

As my father likes to put it, Guadalupe Island is like the World Series of long range sportfishing. Line-shy yellowfin tuna up to 150 pounds cruise below a rugged coastline, selectively picking off baits and trying to avoid the large population of great white sharks that make the waters just as inhospitable as the island itself. To fisherman, this place presents a challenge like no other. We are forced to downsize our gear and finesse these tuna into eating our sardines. However, the rocky bottom, large shark population, and the extreme toughness of these fish make landing them even more difficult than getting a bite. What quickly became my favorite reel to use was the PENN Torque 15 extra narrow. Being able to hold up to 375 yards of 50 pound braid and exert up to 33 pounds of drag while keeping a thin and light profile, this reel combined stealth and power to give me a fighting chance in landing one of these trophies. The tall, narrow spool made handling and casting easier and more enjoyable than a smaller profile reel, and the addition of a lever drag and low gear option provided me the advantage needed to bring fish to color after a tough up and down fight. Overall, the Torque 15 extra narrow punched above it’s weight and handled some of the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught. Though I would generally use this on smaller fish, knowing that it could handle a Guadalupe yellowfin gives me the confidence to use it for nearly any fish in any condition.

Closeup 5XN.JPG

Nzathan 15XN 1.JPG

Last edited:

tony38

Mar 30, 2014
Name
tony
Boat
none yet
that 15N looks more like a 25N extra extra narrow , wish they would do the same to the 40N

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
that 15N looks more like a 25N extra extra narrow , wish they would do the same to the 40N
Yup, took a close look at it today. Looks just like you described.