Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Its on the PENN website, but they don't have the SP reels separated out, so its in several different spots.

FTH15XNLD2= 23/28/33 lbs.; 38/19 IPT; 18.9 oz.
FTH10XNLD= 13/16/20 lbs.; 27 IPT; 14.7 oz.
FTHII8XNSD= 30 lbs.; 30 IPT; 16.2 oz.

**Fathom Lever Drags indicate max at Strike/Full/Sunset
Thank you for the info. Looked but could not find it
Jeff

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I finally got the chance to fill them up on a line winding machine with a yardage counter.
Results using Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid:
FTH15XNLD2= 400/50 [catalogue states 310/50]
FTH10XNLD= 300/30 [catalogue states 255/30]
FTH8XNSD= 210/30 [catalogue states 195/30]

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Size lineup of the new Slow-Pitch models compared to the well-known FTH25NLD2.
Top left= FTHII8XNSD
Top right= FTH10XNLD
Lower left= FTH15XNLD2
Lower right= FTH25NLD2
[Quarters are the standard item to give size perspective]

SP comparison RESIZED.JPG

Upvote 0

Calico1965

Apr 12, 2014
Name
Jeffrey Stokes
Boat
NA
Mid-October, Nooooo! I ordered 2x of the 15XNLD2 for my trip leaving on October 19th! Cutting it too close!

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
Pros and cons of using a star drag vs a lever drag for slow pitch?

Star- You can really lock that drag down without affecting freespool

Lever- you can set that drag perfectly every time when fishing light line

star- Finer adjustment which is extremely important when you not doing the conventional "pumping" when fighting the fish

star- You have a consistent drag plane. Not like on levers when it ramps dramatically after strike

star- two words. Auto engage.

I think the only lever that has auto engage is if you special order an everol VJ series. The everols are very nice lever drags that can get the best of both star and lever. It has a full range lever with micro adjustments and an auto engage. I love mine for when I'm jigging up yellowfin and blackfin. Anytime else, I'm just gonna grab a catalina 15-SJ or a saltiga 35n SJ.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
The answer depends on the reel. Let's start with lever drag.

There's two types of lever drag reels in terms of the actual lever mechanism, and when it engages. Some lever drag reels do not have a full drag curve, but rather engages the drag when they are pushed to the strike position. The problem with this is that while properly set at your strike drag settings, once you back off strike the reel almost goes into free spool. This is a major issue because once you use the stopping power of your strike drag, and as you're bringing your fish up, generally the angler will back off a heavier strike drag setting to something more forgiving in order to not pull hooks. Remember, tiny hooks. If you cannot properly back off of strike and have functional drag below your strike position, you will be at a disadvantage. But - if you have a full drag curve from the moment you engage through full - that will be the most precise way to set and adjust your drag between the two types of mechanisms - which is a big plus for lever.

Other disadvantage of lever drag: a longer throw from free to strike position compared to a star drag reel. If a fish bites on the drop without the drag engaged, it does take a split second longer to get your reel into a fishable position. The throw on a star drag is significantly shorter, and can engage nearly instantly with just a flick of the thumb.

Cons with star drag is that it's much less precise in terms of knowing exactly where you're at in terms of drag numbers - both when clicking your drag to your anticipated strike lbs setting, and also while backing off/pushing through your strike setting. Obviously, having the tactile feel of clicking helps, but it's less exact than some would like.

There is an auto engage feature that is available on some star drag reels. I personally hate it, some love it. I think it interferes with casting and personally would disable this feature if I fished a reel with auto engage.

Lastly, and this is really a personal preference thing - is how you want to control your drag. Are you more comfortable clicking the star or manipulating a lever?

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I would think that a Fathum 15 lever drag would be good for slow pitch fishing. You wouldn't need to think a bout the line coming back on the reel. Is my thinking wrong or correct?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I would think that a Fathum 15 lever drag would be good for slow pitch fishing. You wouldn't need to think a bout the line coming back on the reel. Is my thinking wrong or correct?

Excellent recaps already posted, pretty much the same "lever vs. star" checklist of reasons as with other techniques, though casting is not so much of an issue with SP.
I will say that I have been doing a moderate amount of casting when fishing in NorCal.
The captain is of course positioning the boat for the rest of the passengers who are using traditional gear, and the SP success rate is substantially increased if you cast "upcurrent" to make sure you are getting a vertical presentation.
As for the Fathom 15, remember that the number is just telling you the line capacity. There are 9 different variants of the Fathom "15".
The letters that follow tell you more about the reel.
Since you are referring to the [lack of] needing to manually level the line, I assume you are referring to the 15XNLD2.
True that the XN models need less attention, but you do still need to pay some attention to getting the line even.

Upvote 0

Y&R

Jan 27, 2008
South Carolina
Name
Young
Boat
18' Mckee Craft
Its on the PENN website, but they don't have the SP reels separated out, so its in several different spots.

FTH15XNLD2= 23/28/33 lbs.; 38/19 IPT; 18.9 oz.
FTH10XNLD= 13/16/20 lbs.; 27 IPT; 14.7 oz.
FTHII8XNSD= 30 lbs.; 30 IPT; 16.2 oz.

**Fathom Lever Drags indicate max at Strike/Full/Sunset

That 15 2 speed looks like a beast.

Upvote 0

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob
Boat
None
Excellent recaps already posted, pretty much the same "lever vs. star" checklist of reasons as with other techniques, though casting is not so much of an issue with SP.
I will say that I have been doing a moderate amount of casting when fishing in NorCal.
The captain is of course positioning the boat for the rest of the passengers who are using traditional gear, and the SP success rate is substantially increased if you cast "upcurrent" to make sure you are getting a vertical presentation.
As for the Fathom 15, remember that the number is just telling you the line capacity. There are 9 different variants of the Fathom "15".
The letters that follow tell you more about the reel.
Since you are referring to the [lack of] needing to manually level the line, I assume you are referring to the 15XNLD2.
True that the XN models need less attention, but you do still need to pay some attention to getting the line even.

Any updates on timing of availability for the XN's? Would the website be getting them same time as tackle shops?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Any updates on timing of availability for the XN's? Would the website be getting them same time as tackle shops?

In this time of very short supply, tackle shops that had orders in place previously have priority, and will get them first.

Reactions: goldfinger81
Upvote 0

Nefarious

Jul 31, 2020
San Diego
Name
Leon
Boat
NA
Short of getting them all lol.... the 350g rod should be a nice all around rod to cover most of the bases? I mean you could still toss on the lighter stuff...

I had JUST started looking at the hawaiians

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Short of getting them all lol.... the 350g rod should be a nice all around rod to cover most of the bases? I mean you could still toss on the lighter stuff...

I had JUST started looking at the hawaiians
Got the Hawaiian SP for my Alijos 5N which I just recently sold...now it will be paired with the FTH 15XN instead.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
star- Finer adjustment which is extremely important when you not doing the conventional "pumping" when fighting the fish. [/QUOTE said:
I couldn't let this comment go without expanding on it and slow pitch being so new I think a lot of us here can benefit.

The specific qualities of a rod designed for imparting action to a jig make it also NOT the rod you want to pump and wind a fish on.

I'm no authority on slow pitch jigging but I find this style to be intersecting with a question I've been a little obsessed with for all species and for some years.

I took to heart the advice of a Panguero down in the midriff islands a couple of decades ago.

He told me "the Rapalas catch Grouper, the Mirrolures catch Yellowtail and Groupers too but the Megabaits catch EVERYTHING".

The way he fished them bears very little difference to how slow pitch fishing is done.

At any rate I found this seminar online that seems to be comprehensive on the subject if a guy has the time.

It's the primary reason for my interest in fishing more parabolic vintage glass rods exclusively.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
City of Angels
Name
Rexor
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Finally my new FATHOM 15NXLD2 has arrived and now replaces my Alijos 5NII on Hawaian Slow Pitch Rod...only time will tell if they are perfect match.
BA872297-7E84-45EC-8094-EE699D6D09B5.jpeg

Upvote 0

goldfinger81

Almost A Member
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob
Boat
None
Was finally able to grab a 15XN at a shop in San Diego!

I did notice that the stated braid line capacity on the box and reel is 50/365. Much higher than the original spec and what's on the Penn website (50/310).

Reactions: JK47
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Was finally able to grab a 15XN at a shop in San Diego!

I did notice that the stated braid line capacity on the box and reel is 50/365. Much higher than the original spec and what's on the Penn website (50/310).

As noted in a previous post, I get 400/50 using Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid, with no topshot.
I have settled on 375/50 to allow a wide variance of topshots depending on the technique in use with this very versatile reel.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Steve, what size YT or BFT would you feel comfortable bring in with the 50# rod?

Mounted on a "regular" rod [not SPJ], I feel like the 15XNLD2 configuration is good for tuna up to 99 1/2 pounds.
Once they are over 100, the line capacity gets a bit thin.
SPJ rods are not quite as efficient at battling larger species, and I found that 45-pound class yellowtail get you in the rocks about 60-percent of the time using an SPJ rod and that reel with 50-pound.
I guess I would be comfortable going after 75 pound tuna, and 35 pound yellowtail before I felt undergunned.

Upvote 0