Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
PENN Fishing
3 hrs ·
Slow Pitch Jigging is a technique from Japan that is now gaining traction and growing across the United States. PENN is excited to announce our complete Slow Pitch System. With the growth in Slow Pitch popularity, PENN® answers the needs of our dedicated anglers with the new Fathom® Slow Pitch Reels and Battalion™ II Slow Pitch Rods. This system relies on extra narrow reels and thin-technical blanks to make a package ideal for slowly working specialized jigs from nearshore bays and sounds to offshore wrecks and bottom structures. Its applications extend to all species on the East and West coasts. #PENN #PENNFishing #LetTheBattleBegin #PENNFathomLP #PENNSlowPitch #PENNBattalionIISlowPitch #ICAST2020 #ICAST2020Online #ICASTOnline #ICASTShow #newproduct

1594772167487.png

1594772209957.png

Upvote 0

Mark Bingham

Almost A Member
Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
What fisheries would a socal angler appy these slow pitch techniques?

Looks like north got a good yellow...so places like the Coronado's where the yoyo works?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

Looks like north got a good yellow...so places like the Coronado's where the yoyo works?

For yellowtail specifically, so far it has worked for me in most situations where yo-yo iron works.
The 35-50 pounders [shown] we were on were a challenge with the comparatively "whippy" rods, but your average 12-20 pounders are not too difficult.
Its absolutely killer on rockfish/lingcod, and more "benthic" species like sand bass, cabrilla, pargo, sheephead, whitefish, etc, and will definitely catch tuna.

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.

Any place where fish eat other fish this technique will work. It's worked in Japan, SE Asia, Australia, US, Brazil, Caribbean, Mediterranean, and the islands and atolls of the Pacific. I guaranty it will work on the entire SoCal fishery, but it will require dedicated anglers to get it dialed into your specific fishery.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
@tunanorth Does the 8XNSD has easy access too like the Fth II SD series?
[/QUOTE]

Yes it does.

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Yes it does.

YES its a Sure Winner for PENN here! btw when is it available as itching to grab them right away?🤔
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it looks like mid-October on that one.

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

Mark Bingham

Almost A Member
Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
What's the warranty situation with the new sp rods? I'm pretty weary of new equipment, especially with service departments having so much bullshit to deal with.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Reactions: Mark Bingham
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Not every fish is a monster, record breaker, or jackpot-winner. One of the points of Slow-Pitch is really just to make every fish more fun. Here's a typical nice brown rockfish caught on a light spinning rig; PENN Battle III 4000 reel, Battalion 250gr. Slow-Pitch rod, 20-pound braid, and a 200gr. Williamson Koika jig with a 6-inch Berkley Gulp! trailer.

1598554655657.png

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
What is the spec on these reels? Looking for drag #s and inches per turn and weight.
Thanks, Jeff

Its on the PENN website, but they don't have the SP reels separated out, so its in several different spots.

FTH15XNLD2= 23/28/33 lbs.; 38/19 IPT; 18.9 oz.
FTH10XNLD= 13/16/20 lbs.; 27 IPT; 14.7 oz.
FTHII8XNSD= 30 lbs.; 30 IPT; 16.2 oz.

**Fathom Lever Drags indicate max at Strike/Full/Sunset

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
what brand of jigs are you using?

I am mostly using Williamson Koika jigs, and am starting to use their new Kensaki jigs too. To a lesser degree, I have done well with the Tady TSP and Richwin jigs.

Upvote 0