Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2019
San Diego
Name
Yuri
Boat
none
Thank you for the response, this helps.

One last question: If you were going to pick one for a first all around setup to use on a private boat to jig, surface iron, troll, live bait.

FTHII25NSD - new star
FTHII25NSDP - new star Power
FTH25NLD2 - Lever 2 speed

I can't decide.
New star - looks great, I want it for casting surface iron and live bait, but worried about 6:1
New star power - I want it for extra cranking power,but worried about it being slow for surface iron).
Lever - I want it for extra drag and 2 speed, but worried about it not casting surface iron well.

I'll end up buying one setup now (one of the above) and then will add something that it's missing. Just need a starting point.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I’d get 2. One for bait and 1 for iron. For iron go with the higher gear ratio, just crank slower if need be. 6:1 on those small reels the difference in power isn’t really noticeable, you should be pulling on the fish with the rod anyway. To get a reel to both you’ll be making compromises and neither would be the ideal reel
Figure out what you’ll do more, fish bait or jigs and get the reel for that if you’re just going to get one

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The current "finesse" bite on bluefin and yellowfin tuna provides a perfect opportunity for the new Fathom FTHII12 star drag. A nice 44-pound bluefin tuna I got aboard the Searcher, using the new Fathom II 12 filled with 30-pound Berkley Pro-Spec Solid braid and a 50-yard topshot of 15-pound Berkley Big Game monofilament. Any time finesse is a requirement on fish under 50 pounds, and "IF" we ever get albacore back, this little reel will be a must in everyone's lineup.

19 Steve 44 bft.JPG

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
The current "finesse" bite on bluefin and yellowfin tuna provides a perfect opportunity for the new Fathom FTHII12 star drag. A nice 44-pound bluefin tuna I got aboard the Searcher, using the new Fathom II 12 filled with 30-pound Berkley Pro-Spec Solid braid and a 50-yard topshot of 15-pound Berkley Big Game monofilament. Any time finesse is a requirement on fish under 50 pounds, and "IF" we ever get albacore back, this little reel will be a must in everyone's lineup.

View attachment 1070775

Would love to buy one if you made it in left!

Reactions: Derby
Upvote 0

Marco450r

Oct 16, 2016
Imperial Beach
Name
marco
Boat
your boat

View attachment 1070775
Nice very nice what reel ratio did you have on this reel

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Nice very nice what reel ratio did you have on this reel

This catch was on the "stock" 6-1 gear ratio [rod was an 800XL].
I need to emphasize regarding the two smaller sizes [12 & 15], they will ONLY come from the factory with 6-1 gears.
For anglers who want the small reels with the 4.8-1 gears, it will require purchasing the gears as a "part", and self-installing.
It is possible that some tackle shops may offer this service, but that will be up to them.
Also bear in mind that there is normally a 3-4 month "lag time" between when a brand new reel hits store shelves, and the supply of extra parts arrives in the service department.

Upvote 0

Marco450r

Oct 16, 2016
Imperial Beach
Name
marco
Boat
your boat
What are the line ratings or specs on that 800xl
This catch was on the "stock" 6-1 gear ratio [rod was an 800XL].
I need to emphasize regarding the two smaller sizes [12 & 15], they will ONLY come from the factory with 6-1 gears.
For anglers who want the small reels with the 4.8-1 gears, it will require purchasing the gears as a "part", and self-installing.
It is possible that some tackle shops may offer this service, but that will be up to them.
Also bear in mind that there is normally a 3-4 month "lag time" between when a brand new reel hits store shelves, and the supply of extra parts arrives in the service department.

Upvote 0

Marco450r

Oct 16, 2016
Imperial Beach
Name
marco
Boat
your boat
i dont know wich one to buy just have to many reels to buy 2 of them really I was waiting on this for the lower gear for the deep drops in mex and bottom fishing.Not a fan of high gear ratios sold all my high gear ratio reels I just started throwing iron around and I think I like it im using a newell 332 with the 5.1 gears on just to see if I liked it I guess i did now reading how everybody likes the high gear on these reels and since I already have the 25 and 40 on lever drags fos live bait and yoyo Everyone is making this 6.1 gear more appealing to me Im new to fishing been doing it for about 2 3 years now just started going out on Full days since last year and fighting a bigger fish with the higger gears its just harder for me unless I do the pump and wind but it wears me out a little more But maybe I still a little confused on wich one I should buy lol

Upvote 0

streetnfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
i dont know wich one to buy just have to many reels to buy 2 of them really I was waiting on this for the lower gear for the deep drops in mex and bottom fishing.Not a fan of high gear ratios sold all my high gear ratio reels I just started throwing iron around and I think I like it im using a newell 332 with the 5.1 gears on just to see if I liked it I guess i did now reading how everybody likes the high gear on these reels and since I already have the 25 and 40 on lever drags fos live bait and yoyo Everyone is making this 6.1 gear more appealing to me Im new to fishing been doing it for about 2 3 years now just started going out on Full days since last year and fighting a bigger fish with the higger gears its just harder for me unless I do the pump and wind but it wears me out a little more But maybe I still a little confused on wich one I should buy lol

PM sent

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
First off I'd advise against filling it to the brim with braid if you're casting jigs... mono topshot of 40lb to 65lb prospec is good.

If you are set on running straight braid use 80lb as it will spice to 50lb better.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Do you have to roll back to spool to disengage the spool like you need to do on the Torque s?

Works fine up to about an 8 ounce sinker. Have not tried it with more than that. My guess is that if you are using something like a 16 ounce sinker, you will probably still have to do the 1/4 inch rollback.

Upvote 0