FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Took delivery of PCH 741XXH and 741XXXH. Strung them both up and pulled on a 25 lb. barbell off my rail. 741XXH seemed to totally bottom out so I would absolutely not be fishing any more than 25 lbs. of drag at full on that rod. The 741XXXH did not fair much better and I would not want to fish more than 30 lbs. of drag at full on that rod.

In both cases the fore grip was completely flattened where it met the rail and the heat shrink tube cover was wrinkled. After conducting this test the fore grip did not return to its original profile. I will have to see what it looks like after a day of rest.

My takeaway from this bench testing is that these rods are best fished at the bottom of their line ratings (60 and 80 lb.) if you want any reserve left for the end game. And don't expect them to put up with the abuse of pulling on cows without suffering some damage.

Some additional background. I did this same test with a UC Viper and Centaur. The Centaur easily handled the 25 lbs. with plenty in reserve and the Viper lifted 45 lbs. with some reserve left in the tank.

If I were looking for a rod to fish 60-130 lb. line for cows I would skip these two rods and find the money to buy a Viper. If I were fishing BFT locally and might get into a bigger model these rods could do the job but would likely get beat up pretty badly fighting a bigger fish.

This is pretty much a long winded version of Soda Pop's earlier post.

Last edited:

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
Took delivery of 741XXH and 741XXXH. Strung them both up and pulled on a 25 lb. barbell off my rail. 741XXH seemed to totally bottom out so I would absolutely not be fishing any more than 25 lbs. of drag at full on that rod. The 741XXXH did not fair much better and I would not want to fish more than 30 lbs. of drag at full on that rod.

In both cases the fore grip was completely flattened where it met the rail and the heat shrink tube cover was wrinkled. After conducting this test the fore grip did not return to its original profile. I will have to see what it looks like after a day of rest.

My takeaway from this bench testing is that these rods are best fished at the bottom of their line ratings (60 and 80 lb.) if you want any reserve left for the end game. And don't expect them to put up with the abuse of pulling on cows without suffering some damage.

Some additional background. I did this same test with a UC Viper and Centaur. The Centaur easily handled the 25 lbs. with plenty in reserve and the Viper lifted 45 lbs. with some reserve left in the tank.

If I were looking for a rod to fish 60-130 lb. line for cows I would skip these two rods and find the money to buy a Viper. If I were fishing BFT locally and might get into a bigger model these rods could do the job but would likely get beat up pretty badly fighting a bigger fish.
thanks for the info, I picked up a 740xxxh a month ago for 100#, I guess i'll need to test it like you to be sure.

thanks,

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Took delivery of 741XXH and 741XXXH. Strung them both up and pulled on a 25 lb. barbell off my rail. 741XXH seemed to totally bottom out so I would absolutely not be fishing any more than 25 lbs. of drag at full on that rod. The 741XXXH did not fair much better and I would not want to fish more than 30 lbs. of drag at full on that rod.

Appreciate the report. I got the XXXH for 80 and the XXH for 60, so OK there. Also will be used on 7 day trips so chances of cows are less than optimal. I think for what I'll be using those rods for I'm in good shape, but I'll see how it goes in October and go from there. I also got a 801 XH for 40.

Reactions: FishRock

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Appreciate the report. I got the XXXH for 80 and the XXH for 60, so OK there. Also will be used on 7 day trips so chances of cows are less than optimal. I think for what I'll be using those rods for I'm in good shape, but I'll see how it goes in October and go from there. I also got a 801 XH for 40.
Gene,

Sounds good. I would be curious to hear what you think of the 801XH. I have a 701XH that killed a bunch of nice wahoo last winter tossing a bomb with over 20 lbs of drag. I think that 801XH should handle 40 lb. duty with ease.

Last edited:

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Gene,

Sounds good. I would be curious to hear what you think of the 801XH. I have a 701XH that killed a bunch of nice wahoo last winter tossing a bomb with over 20 lbs of drag. I think that 801XH should handle 40 lb. duty with ease.
Will do. I'm going to pair that rod with a Penn Fathom 30 two speed and 40# line. Last time I went I used that reel/line combination on another rod and it worked great, but I wanted a longer rod to pair it with and couldn't pass up the deal I found on Amazon. I plan of providing a detailed trip report as well as a performance report on all three of my new Okuma rods.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Will do. I'm going to pair that rod with a Penn Fathom 30 two speed and 40# line. Last time I went I used that reel/line combination on another rod and it worked great, but I wanted a longer rod to pair it with and couldn't pass up the deal I found on Amazon. I plan of providing a detailed trip report as well as a performance report on all three of my new Okuma rods.

I hope you get the chance to pull on a bunch of nice fish.

Reactions: Mean Gene

Steve Seine

ahiassasin
Jul 13, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
Steve
Boat
Rumblefish
I have the PCH C 801MH, 801X and 801XH. They're lightweight and fun to fish with. But on a recent 60lb BFT battle using the 801X with 60lb spectra and 40lb flouro I was forced to use the rail to slow down this fish from a party boat. Like a previous Fishrock post, the butt section shrink tube suffered dents and became crushed. These are not "Rail Rods". You'll want to go with the SCT-RR-701-XXXH or the XXXXH from Okuma. $226 and $229 delivered on Amazon. These are true Rail Rods and are meant for using the rail. I called Okuma and the Warranty Rep explained it to me. So I ordered some matching shrink tube from Mudhole and did my own repair. Ye be warned.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
I have the PCH C 801MH, 801X and 801XH. They're lightweight and fun to fish with. But on a recent 60lb BFT battle using the 801X with 60lb spectra and 40lb flouro I was forced to use the rail to slow down this fish from a party boat. Like a previous Fishrock post, the butt section shrink tube suffered dents and became crushed. These are not "Rail Rods".
Steve,

The PCH-C741XXH, XXXH and XXXXH are built as rail rods with extended fore grip but the grip material is probably the same on all the PCH rods. So I guess I would say these models are rail rods but will require the owner to beef up the fore grip at some point. My UC rail rods have beefier grips that will stand up to railing for a long time. I guess this is how Okuma is able to offer a rail rod for $200.

Reactions: rexor_rn

carnage007

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
The X tube+EVA (feels like what is used) will not last but the easy fix would be, after it gets wrecked, just cut off the fore grip and layer up some corktape and throw on cold shrink ontop. This is what a lot of people inc manufactures use as fore grips on rail rods.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
The X tube+EVA (feels like what is used) will not last but the easy fix would be, after it gets wrecked, just cut off the fore grip and layer up some corktape and throw on cold shrink ontop. This is what a lot of people inc manufactures use as fore grips on rail rods.

Any idea where to get cork tape and cold shrink at a decent price?

carnage007

May 9, 2004
Encino
Name
nick
Boat
to poor
@FishRock I get my stuff local at Island Tackle in Carson but if you are in alaska I would order from mudhole. Batson has some YouTube videos on how to install.

chamackO

Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
Took delivery of PCH 741XXH and 741XXXH. Strung them both up and pulled on a 25 lb. barbell off my rail. 741XXH seemed to totally bottom out so I would absolutely not be fishing any more than 25 lbs. of drag at full on that rod. The 741XXXH did not fair much better and I would not want to fish more than 30 lbs. of drag at full on that rod.

This is the right kind of testing

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
If purchasing now I would likely go with SCT versions of the rail rods as Steve recommends above.

Paul merwin

Jun 23, 2018
Monrovia
Name
Paul merwin
Boat
N/A
Just got the PCH C 741 XXH paired it with an Avet Pro X 30/2. Got 550 yds100# Spectra with 100 yds 130# mono top shot. Hoping to test it out on some 150+ BFT very soon. My first "heavy"setup. Should I still use a 5 foot or so 80-100#. fluro leader? I typically tie spectra to fluro, what are the preferred knots for mono to fluro?
Thanks

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Just got the PCH C 741 XXH paired it with an Avet Pro X 30/2. Got 550 yds100# Spectra with 100 yds 130# mono top shot. Hoping to test it out on some 150+ BFT very soon. My first "heavy"setup. Should I still use a 5 foot or so 80-100#. fluro leader? I typically tie spectra to fluro, what are the preferred knots for mono to fluro?
Thanks
Paul,

Not trying to be a tool about this but I think that setup is a bit out of balance. I have a 741 XXH and I think it is more of a 60 lb. rod than a 100 lb. With that reel and spooling profile I think you really want it on a XXXH or XXXXH. As for the mono top shot, it should be fine for straight tying jigs or dropping a sinker rigged bait. For fly lining a bait you would probably want to strip the mono and go with a short fluoro leader.

If you hang a nice one you will bottom that rod out but you can still land the fish by using the reel more and not relying on the rod to lift it.

Paul merwin

Jun 23, 2018
Monrovia
Name
Paul merwin
Boat
N/A
Yep the 100# spectra was a compromise... had a trip targeting the big ones and lined up in effort to boat one without the fear in the back of my mind of breaking off. I did strip the mono and ran 20' 80# fluoro to a glow flat fall. The setup worked but never got any over 25 and they were HOT when I smoked them to the boat in 1 minute on the rail just using the reel to burn them in. Hahhaaa. Deckhand had fun trying to gaff that hot tuna! Glad I took my 800MH Calstar deckhand with a Torium 20, killed 10 yellowfin with the Coltsniper!

Sacto John

Sep 6, 2013
United States
Name
John Humphreys
Boat
Duct Tape Queen
I agree that the XXH is more of a 60-80lb rod, the XXXH is a good 80-100 lb rod and the XXXXH is a good 100-130 rod.

I own all three, and have fought 200lb class BFT on the XXXH on 80lb. I did not have a problem with it bottoming out nor any problem crushing the foregrip while fighting the fish for over an hour on the rail.

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I agree that the XXH is more of a 60-80lb rod, the XXXH is a good 80-100 lb rod and the XXXXH is a good 100-130 rod.

I own all three, and have fought 200lb class BFT on the XXXH on 80lb. I did not have a problem with it bottoming out nor any problem crushing the foregrip while fighting the fish for over an hour on the rail.
EXACTLY CORRECT Real Life Description and Experience on the New PCH Rail Rod...BTW I just bought the Newly Release PCH Custom 70XXH just curious if anyone had already put it to test lately...

Paul merwin

Jun 23, 2018
Monrovia
Name
Paul merwin
Boat
N/A
Yep, after fishing the PCHXXH have switched it to a 60# setup and got a UC RCX70 Centaur for 80# matched with a MAK16. Still haven't truly tested the Centaur but pulling on it it feels more like an 80#!

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Yep, after fishing the PCHXXH have switched it to a 60# setup and got a UC RCX70 Centaur for 80# matched with a MAK16. Still haven't truly tested the Centaur but pulling on it it feels more like an 80#!

Bingo the Centaur is a 80# stick....

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Any updates on how you guys like the XXXH for 80#?
Sorry no real world experience. Though from the few live reports from anglers who have caught fish on these rods there don't seem to be any real complaints. I have continued bench testing my XXH and XXXH and they seem very capable at the bottom of their rating. So the XXXH should fish 80 just fine. The main thing with these rods is they have a very slow action with no progression. The entire rod bends in a continuous arch. Just look at the two examples in the OKUMA YouTube video for these rods. capable rods not refined like the UC rods which have progressive action with a flexible tip and real backbone when loaded.

32 Seconds in and 1 Minute in.

Sacto John

Sep 6, 2013
United States
Name
John Humphreys
Boat
Duct Tape Queen
Any updates on how you guys like the XXXH for 80#?
I think the XXXH is a perfect 80lb rod. I have fished 100lb on it but that is its absolute limit.

I fish with nothing but Okuma rods because of the price point and great customer service. I will say that all of the PCH rods are very capable, but fish them at the lower end of their line rating. I fought a 150lb class Bluefin for almost 2 hours on 50lb test with drag set at 17lbs on a 701XH (30-60# rated rod) and the rod was bottoming out. I Have the 701XXH (40-80# rating) that I am going to use for a 50lb rod from here on out, with the 701XH being relagated to a 40lb rod.

Last edited:

Pjstevko

Nov 12, 2015
Three Rivers California
Name
PJ Stevko
Boat
N/A
From all the replies here, reports from elsewhere and my personal experience with my other pch rods i think i'm going to save the $300 and buy the xxxh!