esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat Name
Feelfree Lure 11.5
Its amazing how unselfish we are to pollute our local water and air unnecessarily in order to spare deep water reefs. Every case of lung cancer is a sponge saved.I understand now and will bow out of this conversation. Thank you.
I read an article the other day that was about the ships now being forced to queue farther offshore for the exact reason you mention- their contribution to poor air quality in the LA basin. Makes sense to me that they should stay outside of the Channel Islands as much as possible, so that their exhaust primarily gets distributed by the longshore winds coming down from the NW, rather than be in the Bight where wind patterns are more likely to bring their exhaust onshore.

Reactions: Predatormonster
Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    260 Mackinaw
    It seems like a good idea to limit the number of ships at local anchorages for congestion and "emissions" of all sorts, but I can't help think that this is more of an optics solution rather than a practical one. The big ships don't run the mains at anchor, most are direct drive and control thrust with variable pitch props or reversing engine rotation of two stroke engines. While the ships are offshore the mains are in use to maintain position and obviously generate more emissions than at anchor.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Pumping the bilges in a container ship...or 100 container ships, could produce an oil slick or two.

Fun Fact:

I have a Chapman's Piloting & Seamanship from the mid 40s (1943 IIRC) and in the anchoring section they say if your anchored up and getting bumped around too much for comfort because of the sea state that you should dump a few gallons of oil into the water to calm things down a bit.

How times have changed!!

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    So no container ship anchoring in the MPA's?

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    I rather it 100 miles out then in our front yards. At least we are not breathing it 24/7 .
    Read and saw on TV Truck Drivers going in and out of LA/LB Harbor Container yards spending
    over 2/3rds of their days IDLING in lines. Lot
    more air pollution from the Harbor inland. LOL

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
  • Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat Name
    Yellow spot
    Read and saw on TV Truck Drivers going in and out of LA/LB Harbor Container yards spending

That has always been true. I'm not sure what the compliance rate actually is but for a long time in Ca there has been a 5 minute idling limit. From what I see compliance is pretty good. Be nice if they could get traffic on the 710 moving. The push to move port trucking to off peak hours 4-5 years ago is not getting it done.

Good thing California has been ahead of the rest of the country in pushing cleaner trucks/equipment and cleaner fuels for many decades. With the current population if they had not pushed mandates consider what the air quality would be like.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat Name
    YES
    LA harbor is the most inefficient harbor in the world as far as off loading is concerned. The Union won't allow and continue to fight 24/7 operations or upgrade to automated systems to speed up the off loading. The city has been fighting a rail spur line that would bring trains to be loaded within 5 miles instead of the 25 miles away now. That would speed up getting the containers out of the harbor with an 80 percent reduction of time and pollution. Get rid of the Union and modernize and that will be the solution to the ships stacking up on the anchor.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    LA harbor is the most inefficient harbor in the world as far as off loading is concerned. The Union won't allow and continue to fight 24/7 operations or upgrade to automated systems to speed up the off loading. The city has been fighting a rail spur line that would bring trains to be loaded within 5 miles instead of the 25 miles away now. That would speed up getting the containers out of the harbor with an 80 percent reduction of time and pollution. Get rid of the Union and modernize and that will be the solution to the ships stacking up on the anchor.
    WORD

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    That has always been true. I'm not sure what the compliance rate actually is but for a long time in Ca there has been a 5 minute idling limit. From what I see compliance is pretty good. Be nice if they could get traffic on the 710 moving. The push to move port trucking to off peak hours 4-5 years ago is not getting it done.

Good thing California has been ahead of the rest of the country in pushing cleaner trucks/equipment and cleaner fuels for many decades. With the current population if they had not pushed mandates consider what the air quality would be like.
    AMEN

Upvote 0