Advertiser
Feb 12, 2018
West Babylon NY
www.tunafishtackle.com
Name
TFT
Boat
Steel Ones
We just received our first order of Nomad DTX 220 LR swimming plug.

The DTX220 Long Range Special is Nomad Design Tackle’s new super strong, super deep trolling minnow with extra reinforcement to cater for the biggest, toughest saltwater predators.
Featuring Nomad Design Tackle’s Autotune system to troll faster, dive deeper and always run straight, Guaranteed.

> Dives to 50ft
> Trolls at up to 14kn
> Full Body Reinforced Stainless Steel Plate
> Reinforced Tail Plate
> New Autotune System - Always tracks straight
> Super Strong Reinforced Head Section
> Super Strong Diamond Armor Construction
>Welded Solid Ring Towpoint
> Super strong oversized inline single hookset

$49.99

Free Shipping Use Code DTX LR at the checkout.

https://www.tunafishtackle.com/product/dtx-220-lr-minnow/

DTX220-S-SAR.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ Scholl

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
John, have you had a chance to talk with Damon about the guarantee? Auto tune, I get. “Always Tracks Straight” is another deal all together. I’m sure you’ve heard plenty of comments/complaints about them jumping out of the water. I wonder how does he plan on honoring the guarantee?

We rerigged with some heavy single strand to get it to run.
My success, don’t know about others.

Last edited:
Reactions: raw66

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I haven’t heard any reports of trouble with the hooks. Are they not sticking fish? I saw one of these models, I think in August, a Fisherman’s Landing Tackle Shop. I was talking to Rock Cod Rick when the Nomad rep came in, and he went out to his vehicle to grab one to show it to us. Not much different on the outside, I get that improvements are internal.

Last edited:

jbarbosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
There have been reports, despite a constant-wind, of fish shaking-off... They’re practically barbless if you inspect those inlines they use....

Reactions: Warlord

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
Wahoo are hard to catch. :) I remember my first hookup on the troll. You would think at that speed, when a fish grabs a Marauder, it’s gonna get a face full of hooks. I slowed down winding and it spit the lure. Lesson learned...

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
We were advised by a respected skipper to replace the barbless hooks. Very little slack allows an escape.

Reactions: jbarbosa

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
I, too, rigged the DTX 200s with heavy (174) single strand wire and they run fine. You may have to tinker with the length of the leader. I finally settled on about 18". The only Hoo that I have had come off was my error. Looking forward to the DTX 220. May have to re-discover the proper leader setup. I would only change the hooks as a last resort. A change in weight or diameter might negatively impact the swimming. The instructions on the 220 box says they should be run 50 feet behind the boat. We'll have to see if a corner position works.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Great lures. No doubt

I think changing stock hooks does effect a jig that is high performance and has fast reaction speed.

That's why imo increasing the barb size using the same hook. Is worth thinking about

If a cowfish ate the jig. That barb size would be in the back of my head durring the fight. Or durring tough wahoo fishing and the boat gets stopped rarely.

Wahoo is the only fish that has slack lined me mid fight (it has happened) and I wind fast and tight and do catch back up. But went slack for a moment. They swim fast especially while charging the boat as the boat is sliding forward. Superman can't keep up

A scoped out cowfish on the surface that charges the boat. Still semi tight in high gear compared to a wahoo charging the boat .

Worth increasing the barb size just for those who would like it. Barb size is so mynute its worth increasing the size so the barb size is not a excuse for a lost fish. When nobody really knows for sure. Take the doubt away

While fish landed increases

Tymeflyme

Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
I learned how to rig the DTX 200 from my brother and it stops the boat first every time, even with other DTXs in the spread. I can’t wait to see these new DTX 220 LR in action.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I'm not a engineer. It's impossible to please everyone. Just going by fishing street smarts and hook barbs wearing down

Owner flyliner. Shorten the shank and increase the barb bite size. So its not similar to a largemouth bass hook.

My best booger 7x ever. Had 1.5 hooks remaining out of the treble. The 1 full hook was bent back. Zero barbs remaining. Including on the full hook. Fished that one 7x only. For years and finally lost it in a panga at Punta Banda. Mossback smoked me into dry rocks

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
There have been reports, despite a constant-wind, of fish shaking-off... They’re practically barbless if you inspect those inlines they use....
That's amazing, never heard of a wahoo coming off a marauder ,or intruder when there is constant pressure applied! Just kidding, they are freaking wahoo! They escape in every manner possible! There is no such thing as a trolling lure for wahoo, that they don't escape when hooked under certain conditions. Most times operator error! I play the numbers game, the more you hook, the more likely that you will land more. Casting jigs, bait fish, or trolling. Dtx minnows get bit great due to the virtue of them trolling deeper. My last 4 trips, I've seen nothing come close to them on trolling rotations. And I've tried everything. I believe the newest version has a slightly different hook, at least that's what there Icast 2019 video says.

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
Most of the fish have been coming off at boat-side....I have replaced the back hook only with Kudako 7/0’s... Have not tried it, but looks like it’ll work... also single strand seems to be the ticket as mentioned above.....

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Does the store take back or swap the lures that don’t track right? For $50 I would expect it to track right, I hope it’s not just me.

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 7, 2017
Venice, La
Name
Jimmy Russel
Boat
29' Seavee
One good thing that come on these new DTX 220's is that Nomad replaced the split ring for a welded solid ring where you attach the leader.

The barbs are still small on the hooks.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
One good thing that come on these new DTX 220's is that Nomad replaced the split ring for a welded solid ring where you attach the leader.

The barbs are still small on the hooks.
Just curious if you guys swap the lures that don’t track straight. I have several DTX 200 that I haven’t used yet and guys are saying some won’t track no matter what you do to them. How is the store tackling this issue. I have receipt of my purchase and could prove I bought them from you guys.

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 7, 2017
Venice, La
Name
Jimmy Russel
Boat
29' Seavee
Just curious if you guys swap the lures that don’t track straight. I have several DTX 200 that I haven’t used yet and guys are saying some won’t track no matter what you do to them. How is the store tackling this issue. I have receipt of my purchase and could prove I bought them from you guys.

PM Sent. Nomad has been handling warranty issues directly. If you bought them from us we will assist you in the process.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
We were advised by a respected skipper to replace the barbless hooks. Very little slack allows an escape.
I have searched numerous places and have yet to find the same size inline hook with the same curve and diameter but with a bigger barb. The don't exist.

Last edited:

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
PM Sent. Nomad has been handling warranty issues directly. If you bought them from us we will assist you in the process.
I really appreciate your fast response. I replied to your message. Thank you very much

Reactions: Striker Tackle

Mr. Sunshine

Jul 6, 2008
OC, CA
Name
Barry
Boat
none
Most of the fish have been coming off at boat-side....I have replaced the back hook only with Kudako 7/0’s... Have not tried it, but looks like it’ll work... also single strand seems to be the ticket as mentioned above.....
I posted before that the Kudako 8/0 on the rear worked good for me. Took some work to get the fish off on deck. Only problem was my brazed rings wearing thru very quickly. I need tougher rings. 10/0 7691s worked too. Only 1 of 6 I took didn't track. Nomad took care of me on that one.

These barbs look ok in the pic. I don't know if they are the stock hooks on the new nomad version.

Reactions: Cubeye