Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
By the end of next week our foundation will no longer be naked. Windows and trusses are enroute, and things are starting to get real. Sure gonna be nice when we're not living under a bridge anymore. This is the first time we've gone from dirt to house so it's exciting, but kind of scary as well. Interesting knowing you have "X" amount of money to play with and doing a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul maneuvers. But, by playing a very active roll in the project I have found some good cost cutting measures that have allowed us to make some things nicer than originally planned. Picking the exterior colors/layout was the worst. The wife and I had somewhat different ideas on that and it was kind of a mix between negotiating nuclear disarmament with North Korea and wrestling with a porcupine. In the end we both got s little of what we wanted with the scale weighted heavily on her side.
:l

We can not wait for the RV park to open up in April so we can get back up there and get busy. :cheers:

kbray001

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
By the end of next week our foundation will no longer be naked. Windows and trusses are enroute, and things are starting to get real. Sure gonna be nice when we're not living under a bridge anymore. This is the first time we've gone from dirt to house so it's exciting, but kind of scary as well. Interesting knowing you have "X" amount of money to play with and doing a lot of robbing Peter to pay Paul maneuvers. But, by playing a very active roll in the project I have found some good cost cutting measures that have allowed us to make some things nicer than originally planned. Picking the exterior colors/layout was the worst. The wife and I had somewhat different ideas on that and it was kind of a mix between negotiating nuclear disarmament with North Korea and wrestling with a porcupine. In the end we both got s little of what we wanted with the scale weighted heavily on her side.

We can not wait for the RV park to open up in April so we can get back up there and get busy. :cheers:
Congrats on the house! What part of the state?

my wife’s family lives in Hamilton. One of my goals is to eventually move up to that area and out of commifornia. Have a moose drool for me.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Congrats on the house! What part of the state?

my wife’s family lives in Hamilton. One of my goals is to eventually move up to that area and out of commifornia. Have a moose drool for me.

We're just outside if Ennis. We moved our fifth wheel into the RV park 3 1/2 years ago and it's never moved since. Now we'll have the house and we won't be going anywhere again.

Reactions: kbray001

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Dunno if youre a builder. A few tips:
Read the installation instructions on everything then make sure it gets done right. You paid for it to be done right!

Select tyvek or similar exterior wrap. Make the crew "Balloon Wrap" the house before windows go in. Make the crew use the right tape and pressure roller all seams (it's in the installation instructions). Make the crew use the right flashing tape on the windows/doors and pressure roller. Now you have an air barrier!

Watch the insulation installer like a hawk, you want 6 sides contact everywhere.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Dunno if youre a builder. A few tips:
Read the installation instructions on everything then make sure it gets done right. You paid for it to be done right!

Select tyvek or similar exterior wrap. Make the crew "Balloon Wrap" the house before windows go in. Make the crew use the right tape and pressure roller all seams (it's in the installation instructions). Make the crew use the right flashing tape on the windows/doors and pressure roller. Now you have an air barrier!

Watch the insulation installer like a hawk, you want 6 sides contact everywhere.

I'm not a "builder" but I do do finish work, and will be on this project. As for the construction aspect I'm not worried...this guy does quality work and doesn't cut corners. A side note the walls and crawl space will be spray foam insulation...conditioned crawl space. I don't pick on those type of things, I do wall coverings, trim, hang doors, lay floors, etc. I also build cabinets, but won't be doing that on this house. We're going through the lumber yard for that and my brother and I will install them. I'm doing my part to cut costs, but am not going to venture into uncharted waters.

Reactions: marlyn and wils

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
I love ennis. . My great great aunts dress is in the museum in Virginia city just down the road .my uncle owned the DQ in ennis . I know i have more family history there aswell

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
I love ennis. . My great great aunts dress is in the museum in Virginia city just down the road .my uncle owned the DQ in ennis . I know i have more family history there aswell
Way cool. We've been over and walked around Virginia City on more than one occasion. Love the living museum in Nevada City as well. We may get involved with them and play music there in the summer.

Reactions: madrugador

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
That’s how mine usually look once I crack them open.

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
Jul 6, 2004
el cajon
Name
chad
Boat
26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
Ill be back this summer at some point. Not sure ill make it to ennis .

Reactions: Mean Gene

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Slab work has started. Front porch, mud room and the shop/garage slabs will be formed by Tuesday and poured by the end of the week. After that it's full speed ahead on the rest of the framing. Trusses arrive in a week and a half so they should get rolled before long. Exciting times.
Slab Start 1.jpg
Slab Start 2.jpg

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Right now it's a race with time. I've been filling in a few days a week in the 911 dispatch center in Far northern California since October. We are scheduled to head for Ennis in April 4th and I'm just hoping we can make it out of here before governor Screwsome declares martial law and locks down the entire state, LOL

Heatmaster75

Jul 20, 2019
Montana
Name
Rather Be Fishing
Boat
Harbercraft
Bullock shut down MT schools until April 6th. Daughter's college is online only for the foreseeable future. Pike fishing this later this week if the weather warms up as predicted.
Get up here Bud! Bring TP....:oops:

Reactions: Mean Gene

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Trusses on the ground, and that pile of dirt right past those means the septic is going in.
2020 3-21.jpg

SSUfish

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
...A side note the walls and crawl space will be spray foam insulation...
A side note about spray foam insulation, do some research on the product and installer. This documentary is a bit sobering about it and how things can go very, very wrong.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Got word today the rest of the concrete work is done and they'll start doing the rest of the framing next week.

2020 3-27 001.jpg
2020 3-27 002.jpg

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
Right on! I thought you were coming up this week? Must be next week, if you can get out....
Good news here, our Idiot In Charge deemed it necessary to lock us down, but at the same time stated that fishing is "Essential".

https://covid19.mt.gov/Portals/223/Documents/Stay at Home Directive.pdf?ver=2020-03-26-173332-177
Read all through that directive and saw two things:

1) Fishing is essential
2) Construction is essential

I'm golden. LOL!!

We got in to Ennis this afternoon about 3:30. Settled in for the night and this next week we'll work on getting things unloaded from the truck and trailer and into storage. Definitely good to be back, especially knowing we won't be leaving next year when winter rolls around.

First day back 1.jpg
First day back 2.jpg

Reactions: Heatmaster75