Today - The Best Day Ever!
Mar 2, 2021
St Cloud, Florida
www.youtube.com
Name
John Goroff
Boat
None
New Member here and sorry for sticking this in the middle of your Forum but I didn't see any "New Members" section. Anyway, my wife and I just retired and sold off, gave away or threw out everything we own and are now traveling the world. We are avid fishermen and love bill fishing. That said, we have caught just about all game fish but have yet to catch and release a Marlin. I recently had one on a few months ago in Los Barriles but after 10 min it got away. Got skunked a month later in Zihuatanejo. After 4.5 months in Mexico we are currently in Panama and will be trying again out of the Panama Nautical Club on Cala Mia Island. I will be capturing footage of our 3 days of Marlin fishing during our 5 night stay and posting it to our YouTube Travel Channel. Meanwhile if I'm allowed in this Forum I will link you to the two recent Marlin trys from Mexico.

Marlin Fishing in Los Barilles on the Anzuelo II

Mexico - Zihuatanejo - "Dia Perfecto" - The Marlin Hunt

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If you're traveling and fishing, consider expanding your horizons. A few years ago after completing cancer treatment I went to Egypt to fish for Nile perch. It was a great, exotic trip and I caught my share of fish. Another trip I'd recommend is to Mongolia to fish for hucho taimen, the largest salmonid in the world. Both trips were amazing. These days I concentrate on my local fish in Alaska and take a trip or two to Sandy Eggo for tuna, wahoo and yellowtail. There are great fish in the Americas -- but great fish all over the world.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    If billfishing is your thing, Cabo for striped marlin or guatemala for sailfish and blues would be pretty safe bets.

Other known hotspots are Cairns, Australia for big blacks and Frazier Island Australia where you can catch juvenile black marlin in 5 feet of water on sand flats. Pretty insane.

If you're traveling and fishing, consider expanding your horizons. A few years ago after completing cancer treatment I went to Egypt to fish for Nile perch. It was a great, exotic trip and I caught my share of fish. Another trip I'd recommend is to Mongolia to fish for hucho taimen, the largest salmonid in the world. Both trips were amazing. These days I concentrate on my local fish in Alaska and take a trip or two to Sandy Eggo for tuna, wahoo and yellowtail. There are great fish in the Americas -- but great fish all over the world.
    Bill, right? I believe you were on the Intrepid about... geez almost 10 years ago?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    If billfishing is your thing, Cabo for striped marlin or guatemala for sailfish and blues would be pretty safe bets.

Other known hotspots are Cairns, Australia for big blacks and Frazier Island Australia where you can catch juvenile black marlin in 5 feet of water on sand flats. Pretty insane.

Bill, right? I believe you were on the Intrepid about... geez almost 10 years ago?
    Yes, I was on the Intrepid about a decade ago. It was a tough trip for me because I'd just gotten over pneumonia and had no strength at all. None. But I still had fun!

Reactions: Rabid Fish
    Upvote 0

archerfrog

Jul 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    26' Blackman Billfisher
    AKSalmon, would you mind passing a little more info on your Egypt trip? I spend lots of time in Egypt working, and I'll be there the month of June this year. I'm planning some Red Sea jigging and popping trips, but would really love to give Nasser Reservoir a try. Can you recommend a good charter? Is it easy to find a boat and Captain with decent equipment? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks,

Jerry

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    I went with African Angler; you can find them on the internet. I don't know if June would be a good time. I brought my own equipment, but know you can lease equipment from them.

Upvote 0