Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat Name
none
if you like fishing the East Cape area better do it soon. With the new marina coming on line it will ruin the fishing as we know it. Just take a hard look at what has happened to the fishing at the Gordo Banks since the Marina was built at San Jose Del Cabo. What once were proficient tuna and wahoo grounds is now only a shadow of its former self. The marina has made it to accessible to too many boats. The boat traffic and to much fishing pressure will ruin the East Cape Fishery.

Upvote 0

Rafttohunt

May 31, 2021
Eagle CO
Name
Tug Birk
Boat Name
Maravia Zephyr
if you like fishing the East Cape area better do it soon. With the new marina coming on line it will ruin the fishing as we know it. Just take a hard look at what has happened to the fishing at the Gordo Banks since the Marina was built at San Jose Del Cabo. What once were proficient tuna and wahoo grounds is now only a shadow of its former self. The marina has made it to accessible to too many boats. The boat traffic and to much fishing pressure will ruin the East Cape Fishery.
Where is the new marina going to be located?

Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat Name
    Ponga
    It's a desease, follows golf courses , lucky to be old, even the real places are getting to easy. List gets shorter every day

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat Name
    Cobia 261
    I think you are on to something. I used to take the Victor's panga fleet launched off the Palmilla beach and came back each time with tunas, wahoos, and dorados. After the marina at Playita opened, it has been hit or miss fishing trips. I figured the pangas that launched off Palmilla and Playita are now docked in the new marina but not necessarily an increase in the panga numbers. I thought it was mainly the commercial fishermen and the increased number of sportfishermen that was depleting the catch of sportfish in Gordo Banks area.

Just like anywhere else the volume of sportfish is just not like how it was decades ago.

Although I think the volume of marlin in and around Cabo continues to be abundant because of the catch and release that is practiced at least by the CSL charter fleets.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat Name
    none
    I think you are on to something. I used to take the Victor's panga fleet launched off the Palmilla beach and came back each time with tunas, wahoos, and dorados. After the marina at Playita opened, it has been hit or miss fishing trips. I figured the pangas that launched off Palmilla and Playita are now docked in the new marina but not necessarily an increase in the panga numbers. I thought it was mainly the commercial fishermen and the increased number of sportfishermen that was depleting the catch of sportfish in Gordo Banks area.

Just like anywhere else the volume of sportfish is just not like how it was decades ago.

Although I think the volume of marlin in and around Cabo continues to be abundant because of the catch and release that is practiced at least by the CSL charter fleets.
    You are so very correct

Upvote 0

Ducks4jimm11

Feb 6, 2013
    Graham/WA/USA
    Name
    Jim Mavity
    Boat Name
    Arima SR 19
    Anybody who knows the East Cape fishery knows it has been in decline for a long while. Take a look in the boatyard at Palmas and count the sitting cruisers. Boats have been fishing out of the La Ribiera marina for many years now and they do not make things better.

Seems to me the La Ribiera area will need to develop a bit more infrastructure to cater to the "big bucks" fishing crowd. That takes a lot of time.

Reactions: bob_marlin
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Ten years ago, this was posted from Eric @ Gordo Banks Pangas in June 2012.

Heavy commercial inshore gill net operations continue on both the Pacific side of CSL and north of SJDC. This is an incredibly destructive technique, though is very lucrative for the individuals involved, systematically and indiscriminately trapping any species that swims through this particular shallow zone, including pargo, snapper, roosterfish, cabrilla, parrot fish, pompano, amberjack, sierra and many others, often snagging turtles and even mammals. When this gear does breaks off, it is often encountered drifting with decomposing fish, while continuing to kill others. These fish camps do have legal permits, somewhere up higher in the political chain there has to be someone that realizes what damage this is doing to such a fragile ecosystem, which will not be able to sustain itself much longer at this rate of decimation. When reporting this situation to local officials, of course no one wants to get involved, this form of fishery needs to be abolished all together, there are alternative methods, this should not be political, we are talking about future resources for generations to come, it is discouraging to witness such negligence.

Upvote 0

wishforfish

• Jul 21, 2008
    San Marcos CA USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Wow! Yeah I have been going down there for years. Although I still have a good time every time I go it's not as good of fishing as it used to be and sounds to be like it's going to get worse. Friends who live down there say it's getting more and more crowded. Last I heard there are several large high rise hotels that are going to be beachfront properties and are already permitted by the government. They just have not been built yet. The source I heard from said things have slowed because of COVID. Things are going to be changing in the years to come that's for sure. Too bad it's a beautiful place the way it is.i had not heard of the marina being built. Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat Name
    cabo panga
    Not to mention all the spearos and dive boats anchoring up right on top of the high spots and wrecking the fishing for everyone else with the few fish that are left. Maybe time for Panama? or southern Louisiana..? Fishing outta San Jose del Cabo went off the cliff about 15 years ago and has only gotten worse every year.

Upvote 0

renegademike

Jul 4, 2007
    Cabo San Lucas
    Name
    Mike T
    Boat Name
    31 Bertram Renegademike
    A large reason for the decline in the fishing around that area in my opinion is the consistent 88 plus degree water temps that we have been having in those areas the last 4 to 5 years know. Fish to not like to hang out in that warm of water

Reactions: a7ewizard and hosmo
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    Eeyourif you like fishing the East Cape area better do it soon. With the new marina coming on line it will ruin the fishing as we know it. Just take a hard look at what has happened to the fishing at the Gordo Banks since the Marina was built at San Jose Del Cabo. What once were proficient tuna and wahoo grounds is now only a shadow of its former self. The marina has made it to accessible to too many boats. The boat traffic and to much fishing pressure will ruin the East Cape Fishery.
    Thanks for the heads up Eeyore.

Upvote 0

trof

Jul 13, 2012
    ft worth texas
    www.elregalosportfishing.com
    Name
    todd rodriguez
    Boat Name
    El Regalo
    A large reason for the decline in the fishing around that area in my opinion is the consistent 88 plus degree water temps that we have been having in those areas the last 4 to 5 years know. Fish to not like to hang out in that warm of water
    Yes i have been fishing in the east cape for over 30 years. I dont believe over fishing is the main reason the fishing has changed. It is the warmer water currents . The water has been reaching 90 degrees in August for the past 5 years. They are pelagic fish they simply follow the bait and water temperatures they perfer. Ironically Cabo experienced epic fishing from December 2021thru March 2022. The water was clean blue and 76 degrees. Full of bait and fish. Its all about conditions.

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Even up at Cerralvo and offshore, the fishing hasn't been the same in years. Not sure what the issues are, but it sucks.

Used to be able to find big yellowfin and dorado out on the shark floats - rarely now...

Used to find good volumes of wahoo at the south end of the island - you may get lucky now and get one or two...

Used to be there were sailfish and marlin everywhere you looked - same story...

Used to be massive amounts of sardines all along the beaches of Muertos Bay - now there are multi-millon dollar McMansions and the beaches are off-limits to you...

Oh, the good ol' days...

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats

Ducks4jimm11

Feb 6, 2013
    Graham/WA/USA
    Name
    Jim Mavity
    Boat Name
    Arima SR 19
    We can all agree it is changing, and not for the better. Combine changing water conditions with more folks fishing and what appears to be a serious lack of bait. Some of this is cyclical, but there have been plus moments. The Jurel and Bonito have been on fire since January - that is unusual. No, they are not big pelagics, but I will take them for eating any day.

Fishing is changing everywhere. Just need to relearn it and adapt to current conditions. Still better than sitting on the playa!

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats
    Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

• Aug 8, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    sammy
    Boat Name
    no
    CSL is the same ... been fishing it before there was even any pavement on the road from San Jose ... no marina .. launched right from the bay ... we could fill a 120 quart ice chest in one day and then just fish for fun the rest of the time all catch and release .. monster Dorado everywhere ... now you gotta work for anything you can get ... there are good days there and there are GREAT days there ... But mostly just OK days there anymore ...

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat Name
    none
    We can all agree it is changing, and not for the better. Combine changing water conditions with more folks fishing and what appears to be a serious lack of bait. Some of this is cyclical, but there have been plus moments. The Jurel and Bonito have been on fire since January - that is unusual. No, they are not big pelagics, but I will take them for eating any day.

Fishing is changing everywhere. Just need to relearn it and adapt to current conditions. Still better than sitting on the playa!
    Nothing to adapt to if there are no fish

Upvote 0

wishforfish

• Jul 21, 2008
    San Marcos CA USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    n/a
    Just another note, I recently saw in article that reports that there is a wave pool being built down near Vinorama.. it is all part of a big beach club that is going to be developed. Things are definitely going to change .

Upvote 0

1morefishwy

Dec 20, 2011
    Casper, WY USA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    Ranger
    Where is the new marina going to be located?
    I was just there at Los Barilles, and told by a local that there are rumors of building another marina in LB, just below the Pemex. Approximately where the new boat ramp is by the RV park. This is just south of Palmas de Cortez. Maybe just a rumors? Don't know.
    Also, the La Ribera marina ( by the Four Seasons) appears to be closed for now, they are doing some more serious earth moving there, I was told they are drastically changing the marina basin. Also, it looks like major progress is being made on the golf course.

Upvote 0