new mak 30 and 20

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by spinner, Mar 15, 2015.

1. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    am going to pv next week for 6 days fishing on the maximus. just got my new maks back from cal sheets with the upgrades and blue print from the show. should i take my 20 to pv or leave it home?
    also ,just to share,i invested in the new maks at the urging of fishy when he told me i was old school,in combination of how well the average angler was doing with the new maks. they really turned them into better anglers. but i did notice on that trip,that anglers were having trouble with their top shots breaking and pulling apart. it was a really high seas trip. even the top shots that the crew were making were failing and this had everyone pulling their hair. i talked to the skipper about it when he asked what i thought,since i had no failures. well after talking to cal, the drag curve on the maks is not consistent out of the box and can suddenly just load up on you disproportionately to how much you move the drag lever. so heads up on this,in retrospect, i think this is why we had so many failures on that trip in the heavy weather.
    on another not, oh my god,i cannot believe the free spool on these reels. these are going to take my game to a whole another level.

2. Shooter

Shooter Member

Take the 20. Have a good trip

3. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Absolutely bring the MAK 20, never hurts to have another back up reel. Interesting read about the MAK drags...I've never had any drag issues with any of my MAK 20's or 30's they're all silky smooth and have been very consistent. In regards to the top shots breaking, there can be so many factors: weather, rod, line, drag, boat, fish, angler etc. I wonder if the boat had a faulty batch of line. You might want to look at the UC CX76 Viper blank for heavy weather. Good luck!

4. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Spinner I think you will love your Maks ….you have to increase drag a click at a time as they have a fairly steep drag curve…..

I had zero topshot failures on that trip and zero pulled hooks……and as I recall i had my share of hook ups….. in rough seas you need to adapt to the conditions…….longer topshots..mono topshots…..longer softer tip rod…backing off on the drag a little at the end game…..etc etc…..

5. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    I took a Mak 20 with me on my last Maximus trip, fished it for about a hour the first day. Keith came up behind me and asked me not to fish it, said he prefers us to fish 50 size reels. The fish down there are not line shy and you stand a better chance of landing a super with a 50. Since I was there to fish for giant YFT, I decided he was right.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Keith likes meat on the deck so he likes 50's….also the bait used there is either cabbies which are 10 times stronger than a sardine or squid on plunker rigs so a 50 will fish ok using those baits, also a lot of the fishing down there is not on the anchor so getting a bait out is easier.

I fished both a Mak 30 and 20 down there and caught plenty of fish….. he didn't say anything.

7. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    my 2 cents-absolutly bring the 20.Just fished the Apollo and their reels were all Mak 20 s,fish were to 300 lbs and 12 cows total,something like 35 fish over 100.All were on the 20 with no problems.

8. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    Don't let fishy give you a bullsh*t story..... LOL... he caught a Super Cow on a Mak 16..... that was crazy..... but he brought that 317lb in about 3 hours while we all relaxed in the galley with air..... LOL ... the outside temp was 90+ that day with ZERO wind...... We poured water on him then went back to the AC...... I would fish a 20 or a 30 Mak.

Anglewood and norcaltunaclub like this.
  9. cudun

cudun Member

Name:
    LUAN
    Boat:
    26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
    When was your trip Ken? I'd like to know so I can time my trips better. So far it seems later is better than earlier but I am not sure.

10. pele

pele Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    boats are designed to drive men insane
    last week...but you never know-the week before was really slow.

11. reelconcerned

reelconcerned Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    n/a
    I agree take the 20's, I have numerous tuna up to 200lbs with no issues...Paul

12. bsanford

bsanford Newbie

Name:
    brian
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack
    I'm confused Mike, why send brand new Mak's to Cal? They have open bearings, are buttery smooth and make a ton of drag right out of the box. They are not like the old penn's you fish. What does cal do for them?

13. spinner

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    he put in the new push button upgrade and reworked the drag curve for me so that it would meet my needs and be consistent and not jump up suddenly

kenfishken likes this.
  14. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    I dont think a fishing reel or any gear choice make you a better angler. If you look at past trips we have all been on, how many times has a first timer gone cow crazy on boat gear? Or the largest Yellowfin ever caught on a stock Tiagara and a stock old school E glass Seeker rod.

As far as topshots failing - they were made incorrectly regardless of who built them. On a recent trip I fished in 10-12' with the occasional 15' thrown in for a good measure. I landed 3 cows and two more in the 190 class. I reused every BHP topshot as i always do. As Fishy said back off on the drag and fish a softer rod.

Putting your time in on the rail. Picking and treating your bait with care. Adjusting your style of fishing to prevailing conditions are far more important than any gear choice.

I totally agree with letting Cal look at any reel you purchase. They are just better when he does.

kenfishken, cap_lr and Steve K like this.
  15. spinner

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    my first big trip on the rp, i saw bob of bobs jigs,fishing a sardine with 100, 1993. i was flabergasted. how could he free spool a sardine with the big ear and land a 200 on a sardine to boot. then i realized all the regulars could do it. as rollo taught me that trip,the wiseeeee angler watches listens and asks question and for advice and shares with other anglers. that was how i discovered cal sheets. he made their gear better ,so they could fish better than i could with the ear i had. now i make sure that cal makes my gear work the way i want it to work or i get the gear that the best guys like fishy are using and make sure call makes it work for me. the tools of the trade. better tools enhance your skills

kenfishken likes this.