hobie20

Learner's Permit
Jun 18, 2012
SANTEE/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Kelly - 23' CC Boston Whaler, Green T-top, 225 SWSII
Our goal was to land a Wahoo. We bought new Yosuri Marader style lures, we rigged them with 1/16" sailboat halyard wire with thimbles and nico press sleeves. We has new stainless "rod holder/outriggers. We were ready.

Due to family obligations, we had a late start of it. 11:00 AM we are on the water and start to troll towards La Jolla as soon as the water was clear of lobster buoys. About 6 miles off of north Pacific Beach the center rod goes off. The water was 71.9, we were in 300 feet of water, and trolling three lures at 11 knots at the time we are hit. The Pink fade to red Yosuri "marauder" was hit. The Orange/black and the Dorado color were not hit.

As soon as we are bit I keep the boat moving and set the lever drag to full. I have never seen line burn off a reel so fast. We stop the boat but keep it ready to move. I shift to low gear and gain some line. The the fish swims at us. We move to keep the line taught. The the fish runs again. I thumb the spool to slow it down. It does not slow the fish and burns my thumb. The fight goes on another few minutes, the the line goes limp.

My new lure is gone, the line is broken, but not at the knot. I retie and try again, but as I tie a double San Diego, the line feels shredded. I pull off ten yard of clean line, tie again and the line is rough again. Old line, not over a year old, but the only reel on the boat with line over 2 months old.

Lesson learned. One big fish gone, one pink to red lure and rigging gone. Change line more frequently.

PS- if you catch this fish and find my new lure, let me know if it works for you.

:-)

Upvote 0

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
What pound test? And who made that line? How much fishing you did this year? All that has an effect, but seems to me that less than a year old should not be "shredded". Unless you are fishing twice a week or more. I could be wrong. Don't kill me y'all.

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
Lure worked great, thanks. Just kidding. This is the second post I've read where the line was bad, (hmm). Better luck next time.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Check your rod tip, if the insert is cracked it shreds the line. Had this happen 3 times to me, mostly on cheaper rods.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Our goal was to land a Wahoo. We bought new Yosuri Marader style lures, we rigged them with 1/16" sailboat halyard wire with thimbles and nico press sleeves. We has new stainless "rod holder/outriggers. We were ready.

Due to family obligations, we had a late start of it. 11:00 AM we are on the water and start to troll towards La Jolla as soon as the water was clear of lobster buoys. About 6 miles off of north Pacific Beach the center rod goes off. The water was 71.9, we were in 300 feet of water, and trolling three lures at 11 knots at the time we are hit. The Pink fade to red Yosuri "marauder" was hit. The Orange/black and the Dorado color were not hit.

As soon as we are bit I keep the boat moving and set the lever drag to full. I have never seen line burn off a reel so fast. We stop the boat but keep it ready to move. I shift to low gear and gain some line. The the fish swims at us. We move to keep the line taught. The the fish runs again. I thumb the spool to slow it down. It does not slow the fish and burns my thumb. The fight goes on another few minutes, the the line goes limp.

My new lure is gone, the line is broken, but not at the knot. I retie and try again, but as I tie a double San Diego, the line feels shredded. I pull off ten yard of clean line, tie again and the line is rough again. Old line, not over a year old, but the only reel on the boat with line over 2 months old.

Lesson learned. One big fish gone, one pink to red lure and rigging gone. Change line more frequently.

PS- if you catch this fish and find my new lure, let me know if it works for you.

:-)
I hear you on that, I would only add "inspect and change line if signs of wear are present". That line was not that old--but must have been drawn across some rocks or some such. It does prove the point though: you may/may not get a second chance---it also shows you DID have a great, be it short, fight on your hands.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
Check your guides...
That's a great tip, especially today with braid--guides get damaged all the time. And another place of damage I just got schooled about and started checking--the line roller on my salt water spinning reels--braid slices them up.

Upvote 0

hobie20

Learner's Permit
Jun 18, 2012
SANTEE/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Kelly - 23' CC Boston Whaler, Green T-top, 225 SWSII
Not a guide problem, The line was fraying up as I tied a double San Diego and pulled the know down to the swivel.

Also, yes this was a duplicated post, long version that black holed as I posted it. Maybe it was the new OS X El Capitan. It's the glitchiest update ever.

Upvote 0