tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Thanks for all the input. Thinking about getting one of these for throwing wahoo bombs! I bought a Tourque 40 N for this a few years ago, and a guy told me the reel wasn't retrieving fast enough for bombs !!! Just a few opinions please.

Torque 40N is more than fast enough for bombs; it is 42 IPT.
By comparison, the classic 4/0 YTS has probably caught more wahoo than any other single reel, and is 34 IPT.
The classic Jigmaster 500, which we "used to" think was a fast reel back in the day, is only 25 IPT.
In the PENN Low-Profile lineup, the 400 standard speed is 34 IPT, and the 400 High-speed is 42 IPT.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I believe the 300 is available in a 9/1 configuration.

The 300 High-speed does give you 43 IPT, but the capacity of around 210/30 pound braid won't give sufficient capacity for wahoo, especially after a long cast.

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

mrbrklyn

http://www.brooklyn-fishing.com/
Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2008
Oregon
Name
Ron
Boat
16 " Duckworth
Thanks for all the input. Thinking about getting one of these for throwing wahoo bombs! I bought a Tourque 40 N for this a few years ago, and a guy told me the reel wasn't retrieving fast enough for bombs !!! Just a few opinions please.
Do you believe everyone? The TRQ40NLD2 is 42 inches per turn. What other reels with this drag and capacity does 42 IPT?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Avet Raptors JX and Lx @ 46 ipt and HX series @ 47 ipt.

Likely that part of that difference is due to differing IPT calculation methods between manufacturers.
The LX and FTH30SD series are both the same gear ratio and spool diameter, but the former shows 46 IPT and the latter 42 IPT [catalogue specs].
Some manufacturers measure their IPT with the reel absolutely max full. Others [including PENN] calculate theirs with the spool down around the distance of a moderate cast, about 3/16" down.

Upvote 0

Jgonzalez7

Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Name
Jaime H Gonzalez
Boat
None
Just tested mine at the texas jetties... good reel, but not great. Great ergonomics. Good feeling, but not great. I will definitely use it, but not on top of my list. Tranx is a "little" better.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Just tested mine at the texas jetties... good reel, but not great. Great ergonomics. Good feeling, but not great. I will definitely use it, but not on top of my list. Tranx is a "little" better.
How is the TranX better. Smoothness aside, as it’s ultimately irrelevant in terms of performance and ultimately the reel has bigger gearing in it to deliver more power, what didn’t you like.

Upvote 0

Jgonzalez7

Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Name
Jaime H Gonzalez
Boat
None
Dont get me wrong, I think is a good reel, but compared to competition (approximately the same capacity and price) is behind. In my opinion for the following reasons:

The tension knob is useless. I could not adjust it to cast a 2.5 oz spoon. Then tried a halco 110 and still could not adjust it properly. And by adjusting i mean that you free spool with your lure at the rod tip and it will fall to the ground and the spool will not keep turning aggressively (just enough but without causing birds nest).

Cast control is not very precise. Same lure in 5 different casts got very different results (taking into consideration variables such as wind and me). I know what some of you are going to say: go MAX distance moron!!!! And use your thumb!!! But we are paying for these features, they should work.

I hooked several good sized (approx 24 in) Spanish macs and the 25 lbs drag penn somehow had less cranking power and felt 'whimper' than my 18 lbs drag tranx. Tranx has more cranking power. Macs ran way more on the penn.

Casting the penn against 12 mph wind was almost impossible because of birds nest on every cast with limited thumb interaction, on the tranx the casting distance was limited by the wind and the lure shape, but no birds nest with limited thumb interaction.

I will definitely buy again because it's a fun reel and I am a reel addict that has no intentions to rehabilitate, but there are some shortcomings and they hinder its performance.

A tranx 400 is $299, a penn 400 is $299. The tranx feels more refined and robust. Unfortunately, the penn does not feel true to its numbers (drag, adjustments).

AGAIN, THIS IS MY OPINION.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Dont get me wrong, I think is a good reel, but compared to competition (approximately the same capacity and price) is behind. In my opinion for the following reasons:

The tension knob is useless. I could not adjust it to cast a 2.5 oz spoon. Then tried a halco 110 and still could not adjust it properly. And by adjusting i mean that you free spool with your lure at the rod tip and it will fall to the ground and the spool will not keep turning aggressively (just enough but without causing birds nest).

Cast control is not very precise. Same lure in 5 different casts got very different results (taking into consideration variables such as wind and me). I know what some of you are going to say: go MAX distance moron!!!! And use your thumb!!! But we are paying for these features, they should work.

I hooked several good sized (approx 24 in) Spanish macs and the 25 lbs drag penn somehow had less cranking power and felt 'whimper' than my 18 lbs drag tranx. Tranx has more cranking power. Macs ran way more on the penn.

Casting the penn against 12 mph wind was almost impossible because of birds nest on every cast with limited thumb interaction, on the tranx the casting distance was limited by the wind and the lure shape, but no birds nest with limited thumb interaction.

I will definitely buy again because it's a fun reel and I am a reel addict that has no intentions to rehabilitate, but there are some shortcomings and they hinder its performance.

A tranx 400 is $299, a penn 400 is $299. The tranx feels more refined and robust. Unfortunately, the penn does not feel true to its numbers (drag, adjustments).

Well this is actually what I was hunting for. I found that people always find the cast control finicky when casting into the wind on the Pure Fishing Mag cast controls. Also I understand how it feels not being able to adjust the reel, on my Revo Inshore which has the same mag control as the fathom 200, I just thought it was pain to get it all dialed in.

I’m assuming it’s the 400 model, did you by any chance have a different gear ratio? Both the HS version of the TranX and Fathom are a 7:6:1 and it seems like the Fathom actually has a bigger gear based on the higher IPT. Also I’m curious about the drags, my 300HS has some beef too it and can put out 20lbs of drag and more (it actually pulls to hard imho). I find it weird the 400 can’t.

Sorry if I came off as aggressive, I’m just not into the whole “well” it’s not smooth deal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

45user

Sep 20, 2009
Norwalk, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
'15 Hobie Outback
Just received my fathom 400 from pelagic outfitters. No fishing time yet and no line is spooled. Just by playing around I really like the size of it. I’ve had tranx 400, Komodo 463 and still have Lexa 400. The size seems to be right in the middle of Lexa 400 and tranx 400. I will put it to use in a few weeks and will see how it works. I liked how smooth tranx 400 casted but I hated how it’s drag curve was steep. So far I sold Komodo and tranx and holding onto Lexa 400 for now.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat

You sure you are fishing the same fathom I am? I was BOMBING tady A1's on the jettys the other day. Took it to magellan on the yak and hooked a huge king. Drag was super smooth and put the brakes on the big mackerel. The internals of the fathom are decent metal instead of that scrap shit shimano gets from the junkyard. I can tell this fathom is gonna last a hell of a lot longer than a shitmano and stay strong.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
You sure you are fishing the same fathom I am? I was BOMBING tady A1's on the jettys the other day. Took it to magellan on the yak and hooked a huge king. Drag was super smooth and put the brakes on the big mackerel. The internals of the fathom are decent metal instead of that scrap shit shimano gets from the junkyard. I can tell this fathom is gonna last a hell of a lot longer than a shitmano and stay strong.
You know the way you talk about gear I feel like we know each other irl but I can’t pin it on where.

Upvote 0

Jvo101

Tuna lover 😍😍
Aug 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
Name
John
Boat
Yamato
The color of the Fathom is so much nicer than the Squall. So tempted to buy it but the line capicity is much less than the comparable Lexa and Tranx. Why Penn?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
The color of the Fathom is so much nicer than the Squall. So tempted to buy it but the line capicity is much less than the comparable Lexa and Tranx. Why Penn?

There has never really been a true standardization of reel sizes between the manufacturers; there is an even greater disparity with spinning reel sizes.
I don't have a PENN 200, and the 300 seems to hold what the catalogue spec states, but the 400 has a good bit more line capacity than the catalogue shows.
Catalogue spec for the 400 is 200/50 braid, but using Berkley Pro-Spec solid braid, I easily get 280/50, which is about 40 percent more line than I expected.
Most likely, using any of the "thin" braid brands would yield similar results.

Reactions: Noms and Texas Tuna
Upvote 0

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2012
Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Eddy
Boat
Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
So after starting this thread, and saying I wouldn’t get one... I ended up buying the fathom 400LPLH and laced it up with 290 yards of ProSpec 50, per Mr. Carson’s advice. Vs 375 yard max cuatro 50 on the Tranx 400. Lined with 7 lbs of drag on a triangle sports line winder. I love the new low profile movement and wanted to try something different.

This is my second Penn purchase, evidenced by my currently line up below. So take whatever my impressions are with a grain of salt.

5313C8BF-94B9-426E-AEED-9813DD6A48B9.jpeg

12987ADB-05ED-4C2D-99EC-A8A9725ABEC1.jpeg

Ergonomics: Comparing it to the Tranx 400, it is slightly larger, slightly heavier with a narrower spool. The spool height is approximately the same.
54C11DA8-19C8-4029-9D95-B320A0C41C3D.jpeg

11C6CF83-8469-4883-BAF6-4B19ED414BD4.jpeg

the power handle of the Tranx measures 3 inches vs the the double handle of the Fathom of 2.5 inches:

3C5B7C31-AB5A-4620-9863-B9E043B46BAD.jpeg

07BACB98-90D2-4D7B-9365-2E6BBD72F2B4.jpeg

the star is much larger on the fathom, it feels nice and clicky with good positive feedback for each click.
ED114DE5-4B9F-4B78-84A0-76CCF50546CD.jpeg

the level wind is confirmed to be disengaging while in free spool. Similar to the Tranx and Lexa. The Komodo is non-disengaging. Noticed that it does cast better, than my Tranx. It would make sense as it has a narrower spool with a disengaging level wind. (People don’t seem to have a problem casting a Komodo so whatever, maybe just in my head)

oddly, it is non disengaging while drag is peeling. I can’t think of any real negative for this it’s just different.

the cast control is nice compared to the centrifugal system on the Tranx. I can defiantly cast further on the Fathom. Don’t really know what’s going on with people saying it doesn’t cast as well or better than the Tranx 400. I was tossing bombs, but maybe I’m just not good at casting. Cast control worked fine, but had to tune it to where it suited me.

I Don’t think you need more than 200 yards of line on a reel this size so line cap shouldn’t be a factor.

My first impressions is that I will love this reel and perhaps it will be my favorite islands and paddy reel. Will put it through it’s paces and report back one I’ve thrown some fish over the rail on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jvo101

Tuna lover 😍😍
Aug 8, 2020
Huntington Beach
Name
John
Boat
Yamato
I see that you are a Shimano guy. I have many Tranx and Lexa reels and was debating whether to buy my first baitcaster from Penn. Don’t need another baitcaster but wanted to check out the new Penn LP. Anybody with on the water experience with the FTH400LP, please let me know before Christmas. Was thinking of asking my wife as my Christmas present. Thanks.

Reactions: NoFeelings
Upvote 0

mrbrklyn

http://www.brooklyn-fishing.com/
Sep 25, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Name
Ruben
Boat
70 foot
I see that you are a Shimano guy. I have many Tranx and Lexa reels and was debating whether to buy my first baitcaster from Penn. Don’t need another baitcaster but wanted to check out the new Penn LP. Anybody with on the water experience with the FTH400LP, please let me know before Christmas. Was thinking of asking my wife as my Christmas present. Thanks.

Yeah - I've been using it for striped bass fishing and it has put out the longest casts I'd ever made and the return on the diamond jiggs gave great movement and LOTS of hits. The drag is awesome and I'd hit 40+ inch bass on the run and pulled them in beautifully. I REALLY like this real and it has a place on my top tier shelf for usage. I don't own any compatible low profile bait-casters though. Only the ultralight and small abugarcias that I use for porgy fishing and inshore black sea bass.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Beautiful little reels, I’m currently selling my daiwas so I can put that money towards the 3 and 400 sized fathoms. I first hand watch Steve himself hook and fight a bluefin I think it was with the 400 size if I remember correctly. I also got to compare this reel to my lexa and this surpassed it in every way. Th e drag was much smoother, the feel was better, the casting was better, the handle although smaller, was actually more comfortable than the lexa..

Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Curious what rods you guys have them paired with?

In my current "saltwater" low profile quiver I have the following combos:
    Tranx 400 (7.6:1) w/ phenix m1 inshore 82h (20-45# 3-8oz)

Komodo 463p (6.3:1) w/ guide select 711xh (15-40# 2-10oz)

Lexa wn400hs-p (7.1:1) w/ daiwa dxsb 8h (12-40# 2-8oz lure)

Lexa 300 wn300hs-p (7.4:1) w/ daiwa proteus inshore 76MHFB (15-30# 2-6oz killer rod fwiw)

I can move these around and put the penn on one of the above or here are 2 other possible rod pairings:
    Abyss 809 (jig stick) w/ seat this might work as well but it's got an mxj mc on it right now.

Dobyns 795SB (5 power is like MH, 1-5oz lure rating) that I was planning on putting the penn on and using it for calicos and small yt, but wondering if I should out the tranx on this rod and putting the fathom on that m1 inshore. The M1 is a legit 30-40# stick and I feel comfortable that the tranx can handle that work if needed but given the size of the tranx and the weight it pairs REALLY nicely on a lighter rod and I can fish it all day, unlike the lexa or komodo which are bricks. Now sure about the penn yet. I also like my combos to balance i.e. a light reel (weight wise) on a light rod. I have a couple spools (300yd) of 40 and 50# spiderwire that I was planning to fill the penn with (one or the other, per this thread sounds like it'll take the 50), but will I actually need the 50# on this thing? Can it actually fish 30# comfortable or would it be more at home in a 20-25# role? I wish Penn made a legit west coast style Inshore rod to pair this with, maybe rewrap the veritas TORO in black and gold and give it some shrink wrapped grips or something. That is a bad ass rod but it's white and glittery no thanks.

Thanks BD.

Last edited:

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Curious what rods you guys have them paired with?

Lexa 300 wn300hs-p (7.4:1) w/ daiwa proteus inshore 76MHFB (15-30# 2-6oz killer rod fwiw)

I can move these around and put the penn on one of the above or here are 2 other possible rod pairings:
    Abyss 809 (jig stick) w/ seat this might work as well but it's got an mxj mc on it right now.

Dobyns 795SB (5 power is like MH, 1-5oz lure rating) that I was planning on putting the penn on and using it for calicos and small yt, but wondering if I should out the tranx on this rod and putting the fathom on that m1 inshore. The M1 is a legit 30-40# stick and I feel comfortable that the tranx can handle that work if needed but given the size of the tranx and the weight it pairs REALLY nicely on a lighter rod and I can fish it all day, unlike the lexa or komodo which are bricks. Now sure about the penn yet. I also like my combos to balance i.e. a light reel (weight wise) on a light rod. I Curious what rods you guys have them paired with?

Dobyns 795SB (5 power is like MH, 1-5oz lure rating) that I was planning on putting the penn on and using it for calicos and small yt, but wondering if I should out the tranx on this rod and putting the fathom on that m1 inshore. The M1 is a legit 30-40# stick and I feel comfortable that the tranx can handle that work if needed but given the size of the tranx and the weight it pairs REALLY nicely on a lighter rod and I can fish it all day, unlike the lexa or komodo which are bricks. Now sure about the penn yet. I also like my combos to balance i.e. a light reel (weight wise) on a light rod. I have a couple spools (300yd) of 40 and 50# spiderwire that I was planning to fill the penn with (one or the other, per this thread sounds like it'll take the 50), but will I actually need the 50# on this thing? Can it actually fish 30# comfortable or would it be more at home in a 20-25# role? I wish Penn made a legit west coast style Inshore rod to pair this with, maybe rewrap the veritas TORO in black and gold and give it some shrink wrapped grips or something. That is a bad ass rod but it's white and glittery no thanks.

Thanks BD.
    check out the UC Swimbait Finatic series...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Noms and SoCalEDC
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Thanks for the reply, I'll have to go tug on one. I'll note the recommendation for future reference, but hoping I can pair it with something I already have for now.
    Well personally if you’re planning on using the reel for actual 30# fishing where you’re going to be using real drag numbers; I should say that I would not use the M1. No no no. Maybe 15-20lb but not 30-40lb.

I saw the other “thread”. Hello. The dude meant fishing those line numbers in the kelp for bass. He is addicted to bass fishing like it’s crack. I asked him about his opinions on the Fathom 400 and he doubts it’s use as anything 30lb or over. He’s a cool kid, super enthusiastic fisherman. He likes king sticks for the kelp too. In fact I’m pretty sure he fishes the back of sporties with like a 9ft or 10ft rain shadow with giant baits. He actually caught and weighed a number of double digits.

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Have it mounted on a jigstick.
    BTW I love my daiwa proteus inshore 76MHFB too. Have a lexa 300 hd on it too. Use it for everything local inshore.

Reactions: SoCalEDC