New Loan 1.5 day 12/2-4 left sunday, coming home now.

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by spongehead, Dec 4, 2018.

1. spongehead

spongehead "ONE FISH AT A TIME"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    Report: 20 anglers, skippie and small bft tunas 12lb ave one 25lber, cortez bank no 40-60lb yft no bigguns seen nor heard. Bitt little at dawn, mainly at dusk. One FF (160g) rest were bait. Bait: chovie sized deans (meh quality) or very few large deans. Tuna bit smalls more anywayz. 15-20lb fluoro #4/6 hooks worked well. Weather was awesome, worst was 10knots. Lotsa area covered and Cold! Worked with Pac Queen & Chief.

I think the fat lady sung guyz for bigguns, unless theyre at the 60 or butterfly, they maybe already running for warmer waters.

Please take Note below is my thoughts and long [email protected]$$ story. So unless you're bored and absolutely have nothing else to do, dont continue on...

Its 1:24am woke up early cause didnt get a single bite yesterday. Fishing was 2nd anywayz to sharing the rail with Moon, Mr. Lee, Bruce and new friends. Of course Capt Adam, Lorn, Matt, Markus(young) and mr. Step up his game(he did) Chef Kyrie!

Finally got a chance to jump on the new loan this year (they're alwayz booked) light load post storm. Explatory trip really. Moon's freeday was monday and Lee gets call from Adam with the promises of 40-80lb tuna and possible cows lured us on (damn u adam!). Lol i really didnt care, i had different goals. #1 friends over fishing, #2 see Adam and crew, #3 hook cow and handoff to Moon or Bruce and take video of them suffering & crying (like i was 2 wks ago), #4 field test (again) the rainshadows rctb 70xxx and 70xxxx.

Oliver Solis kindly and generously lent me his 2 saltydawg wrapped rail rods (beautiful and strong) then says oh ur seeing Adam? here hand him this rcjb106h 8'10" bad [email protected]$$ jig stick and a long sleve tshirt. What??? am i uber/ups? Nah im Santa's helper and yeah Oliver u'd make a damn good jolly one too! Lol. So i fb live a little of saftey/fishing meeting (crappy metropcs connection) gave adam his early Xmas gifts and he was appreciative.

Side note: I love how Mr. Lee is very well known on the New Loan (buncha cows already, one in 15min!) and was trying to introduce me to my good old friends i knew before they were crew on this boat. Hugz and handshakes to the good ol boyz so many good memories, few bad ones over the many years, we'll leave it at that.

Fishing?

Woke up early had 3 cups of coffee and Kyrie's stepped up monster delicious bkfst burrito. Caught up on our missing 4 years of life since we saw each other on the eclipse.(what fishing)

Another side note:

Me and the boat dont like each other, Alwayz love the crew over the years but only caught 1 small bft out of a handful of trips and somehow that 1 bft dissapeared during fileting. Lmao! Didnt care but capt Markus gave me a free tshirt and $50 off years ago.

Back to fishing:

My buddies yelling at me to fish. Well after i order their burritos of course. Soaked small baby deans for nada bite died and moved on. Bruce was shortbit 4x on bigger deans we think small tuna were swipping at them or just nom nom his bait to piss him off. Went back to shooting the shit with friends and crew. We drove for hours upon hourd couple of stops on sonar marks or kelps for nada. Moon slept like a baby for a 4 straight hour nap! He almost missed his 2nd favorite thing to do, eat! Lol. So finally 4pm rolls around and adam circling the bandwagon around the pac queen (hes been stopped on a school for awhile) so another salve of small tunas then bite died and we ran about for another hour in the dark for nada. Time to puttputt home.

Me? Had an absolutely awesome time got skunked... Again on this boat! But just seeing Adam was kool, but seeing Kyrie was a great blessing. Besides fishin and sharing stories with the buds, since my mom passed away a month & half ago. For some reason ive really connected with her more as i pray on God's peaceful ocean, especially on sporties. Had a great dream about her Sunday night. Thank you Lord and momma love yas!

New Lo-An? Moon mentioned how Matt was constantly wipping and scrubbing deck galley bathrooms. Guyz sometimes we take it for granted but man these guys know how treat their customers. Every tuna even the lone skippie got immediatly spiked left to rest and bleed then gut/gilled before rsw. Besides long range boats i believe new loan was the first to implement that technique on shorter trips esp for bigger bft. Bathrooms are exceptionally clean and smells fresh at all times(matt/markus constantly washes them down). A very pleasant difference to other sporties ive been on. Theres alwayz soap & paper towels in their despensers and the ever inportant tp of course. Coffee ready at all times! Oh and Kyrie's seared and baked tri-tip was the BOMB! Especially after capt markus gave him free reign at sysco to buy whatever he wanted. Meat is grade A over there. Kyrie showed me a recent receipt for an earlier trip that showed $785 bucks worth of baby racks of lamb! Im for sure coming back for the food if chef kyrie is in da house. Bunks are average blankets were warm. Point Loma landing are great people to work with and theres plenty of parking now.

All in all an epic trip for me and 2 friends, Bruce equates fishing with catching, he got one baby bft and had a horrible time lol! For whats it worth fishing was just that.. Fishing. I found something else better on this trip.

Peace!

IMG_20181203_170439.jpg IMG_20181203_170416.jpg IMG_20181203_170149.jpg IMG_20181203_073337.jpg IMG_20181203_081457.jpg IMG_20181203_165841.jpg IMG_20181203_192721.jpg IMG_20181203_170301.jpg IMG_20181203_170200.jpg

2. Maing

Maing Maing

Name:
    Maing
    Boat:
    Me yak fer now
    You ain’t kidding about Kairi!!! His cooking was something special!! He did an outstanding job in that closet of a kitchen for 30 guys awhile back. Props infinity and beyond for that guy!!!

spongehead likes this.
  3. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Cool report, thanks.

spongehead likes this.
  4. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    I've been sitting here waiting for the report because I should have been on that trip. My gear just wasn't where I wanted it to be and I didn't want to have to rush to get it right because I had worked the night before.

Glad to hear of the good times even though it was not the best of catching. Thanks for the report.

What was the final count?

spongehead likes this.
  5. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    If you didn't go you wouldn't know.
    Thanks for the report.
    Robert

spongehead likes this.
  6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    After that storm and wind it’s good to see life still out there. I’m sure the bigs will pop back up.

sickcat and spongehead like this.
  7. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a

27 Blues

spongehead likes this.
  8. giggs huang

giggs huang Newbie

Name:
    giggs huang
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for the awesome report.

spongehead likes this.
  9. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    They will, they will! We had Tunagiving and there's no way we're not having Tunamas!

red_eyez, spongehead and dunfishin like this.
  10. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    Tuna in december hell yea!

spongehead likes this.
  11. dunfishin

dunfishin Member

Name:
    dennis fishman
    Boat:
    12 valco aluminum
    Great report ! Hopefully they get really hungry this week

spongehead likes this.
  12. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  13. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    oh no.....hopefully there is still some hope left for 32 Anglers on this weekend’s New Lo-An’s trip....staying positive..:-) thanks for the report...

spongehead likes this.
  14. negitoro

negitoro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    bruce
    Boat:
    ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
    Hey David,
    I didn't realize you were on the NLA a year ago when Markus went over board to save my fish. It was great to fish with you again. I had a great time talking with you and your buddies. Thanks so much for all the info and Intel. I always want to learn more about fishing. Sharing the stories and laughs were the best way to top off the trip. Moon has my number. I would love to get out and do some catchin with you and your friends. It's a great group.

No joke about Kylie's dinner. That was 5 ⭐️ dining! My friend, Rick, wasn't going to eat. But, when the plate was put in front of him, he pounded it down in nothing flat! I'm diabetic but even I ate the red velvet cake. I agree, dinner was the BOMB!

I hope to fish with you and your friends next season.

The other Bruce!

spongehead likes this.
  15. Toro-X

Toro-X Independence 100 lb club

Name:
    Bobby
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for the report.
    Curious how much the temp dropped after the last storm. Did Adam mention what the water temp was on the Cortes?

spongehead likes this.
  16. spongehead

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    He said he saw lots on meter just skittish. Stayed 120ft down a lot. Shame he didnt see big sonarnmarks :( nor big boils all day did some troll for nada no kite/balloon attempts. We had some pretty good small fish boils on chum dawn dusk. One belly flush showed a buncha small and large deans in diff digestive phases. No squid.

Wow i shouldve caught 1 at least (Moon gave me a small one.) Absolutely delicious pan fried with hot peanut oil(leftover turkey fry) cook to desired, fish out and under heat source. Fresh garlic butter white wine salt pepper soy sauce sugar toasted sesame seeds. Reduce pour over fish the bomb. Moon says use good chardonnay and capers butter garlic salt pepper is good too. These smaller bft had more fat than my 225! Small belly was so fat and tender.

IMG_20181204_184750.jpg IMG_20181204_184746.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  17. spongehead

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    Most definitely i totaly forgot about mr bleached white farmer tan boy jumpin overboard like a 5y/o in his kiddy pool hahahaha maybe it was a good thing to forget. Yes ur the only one who pretty much fought his own fish! Nice one Bruce will definitely fish with ya again. I was skunked that trip too! I suk...

18. spongehead

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    66 degrees. Dont remember c. Mike tribute mentioning temp when big boyz around but someone mentioned there was a warm spot at cortez.

19. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Last we were out on Veterans day we found fish around 69.5F. 66 is still pretty darn good though.

spongehead likes this.
  20. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good effort!

Tunahead likes this.