Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2021
Orange County
Name
John Blum
Boat
Pacific Offshore
Anyone read the article today in the San Diego Tribune?

Captain Markus Medak, on the New Lo Ann, was out near tanner banks on Friday when he spotted the small vessel crammed with people in the pitch black darkness of night.

23 people (mexican citizens) on a very small boat over 100 miles offshore.
No food or water for 3 days after they got lost.

Thanks to an alert and experienced captain - Markus was able to locate the boat and call the coast guard, potentially saving the lives of a lot of people.

Way to Go Markus !!

I was fortunate enough to fish with Markus on an overnight trip this summer. The largest setup i brought that day was a 40 pound setup but the fish we were targeting were 80-150.
I told him my concerns and he handed me his personal fishing rod. I was fortunate enough to Land a 100 lb bluefin on it that trip. Still my biggest to date.
Just goes to show what kind of captain this guy is !

Last edited:

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
I think he is being polite. LOL

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Anyone read the article today in the San Diego Tribune?

Captain Markus Medak, on the New Lo Ann, was out near tanner banks on Friday when he spotted the small vessel crammed with people in the pitch black darkness of night.

23 people (mexican citizens) on a very small boat over 100 miles offshore.
    No food or water for 3 days after they got lost.

Thanks to an alert and experienced captain - Markus was able to locate the boat and call the coast guard, potentially saving the lives of a lot of people.

Way to Go Markus !!

I was fortunate enough to fish with Markus on an overnight trip this summer. The largest setup i brought that day was a 40 pound setup but the fish we were targeting were 80-150.
    I told him my concerns and he handed me his personal fishing rod. I was fortunate enough to Land a 100 lb bluefin on it that trip. Still my biggest to date.
    Just goes to show what kind of captain this guy is !
    The LAW of the SEA is help any vessel in distress. Glad they did. Class act Markus.

Upvote 0

br0ckmahoney

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2007
    Chula Vista, California
    Name
    Fran Dela Cruz
    Boat
    NONE
    I was on that trip. That was a crazy night as the following morning, the winds were blowing 25 knots with big swells. Markus and crew did a very noble thing and it's no wonder why the NLA is a top notch organization. Will never forget this trip, very humbling...

PXL_20211022_080751269.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20211022_080348116.jpg

PXL_20211022_080419049.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

br0ckmahoney

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2007
    Chula Vista, California
    Name
    Fran Dela Cruz
    Boat
    NONE
    I wanted to add, Markus put us on fish with the time we had left to fish. Was scheduled for a 3 day but due to panga rescue effort and snotty conditions this past Saturday, we ended up with 22 BFT despite the shortened trip. Most BFT were over 100lbs and 3 were cows and they were caught in various methods (knife and SK jigs, sinker rig, and one on the kite). I managed to land a 140lb and a 70lb BFT. I also hook and handed a BFT to my buddy who had yet to catch a fish. Fish was a cow and weighed in about 230lbs, what a beast!

Props to Markus and crew as they always fish hard and provide excellent service. Raul in the galley totally kills it with his gourmet style food! There are valid reasons why the NLA continues to be a top notch operation. Here's a pic of my buddy (blue jacket) and the cow. Attached are other pics I took of the trip. This trip was one for the books!

PXL_20211023_121125839.jpg

PXL_20211023_125610094.jpg

PXL_20211022_191713422.jpg

PXL_20211023_113355938.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Whole different type of night bite all together, lucky humans for sure . Reminder you can walk right in at Texas no need to charter a 3 day trip The pictures show joy and relief with captain Squid game at the helm. What are the Vegas odds on this stuff 😂😂

Upvote 0

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
    Apr 18, 2014
    Open Ocean
    Name
    BajaLifeStyle
    Boat
    Parker 21
    This happens more often than you guys think. I encountered the same thing few years ago about 40 miles offshore. Called it in and Coast guard was there promptly

I've mentioned here a couple times that pangas importing drugs are regularly seen around Cortez/tanner in the off season. Making their way up all the way to Santa Barbara

1B167D04-6C29-493D-8EE5-95786CCCF25B.jpeg

titos334
    titos334
    For sure happens all the time, ive been stopped by Feds on the water asking if I've seen pangas. Also the same panga I was on at Cedros ended up beached in Laguna lol
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I wanted to add, Markus put us on fish with the time we had left to fish. Was scheduled for a 3 day but due to panga rescue effort and snotty conditions this past Saturday, we ended up with 22 BFT despite the shortened trip. Most BFT were over 100lbs and 3 were cows and they were caught in various methods (knife and SK jigs, sinker rig, and one on the kite). I managed to land a 140lb and a 70lb BFT. I also hook and handed a BFT to my buddy who had yet to catch a fish. Fish was a cow and weighed in about 230lbs, what a beast!

Props to Markus and crew as they always fish hard and provide excellent service. Raul in the galley totally kills it with his gourmet style food! There are valid reasons why the NLA continues to be a top notch operation. Here's a pic of my buddy (blue jacket) and the cow. Attached are other pics I took of the trip. This trip was one for the books!

View attachment 1329578

View attachment 1329581

View attachment 1329584

View attachment 1329585
    NICE FISH EVERYONE! SOLID WORK! LOL

coastalwerks

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA USA
    Name
    Lance De Guzman
    Boat
    Local Kine!
    I was on that trip. That was a crazy night as the following morning, the winds were blowing 25 knots with big swells. Markus and crew did a very noble thing and it's no wonder why the NLA is a top notch organization. Will never forget this trip, very humbling...

View attachment 1329528

View attachment 1329531

View attachment 1329552
    I remember going to banos and waving to them and saying these folks are blessed we ran into them. Only two boats in the fleet out there at the time.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Marcus.... BROTHER you never cease to amaze me. At the end of your long life....When St. Peter calls you..... You'll have 23 witnesses for sure.

ANY Life is precious my BD Brothers.... when you have a chance to unselfishly save others from certain death. No judgements. He did that....times 23. My Hats off to Him and the crew of the NLA ...for sure 👍.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    PXL_20211022_080419049 (1).jpg

Looks like a family portrait with the Grim Reaper.

I see a few masks so they are concerned with safety.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.