New Lo Ann 2day charter Aug 14-16th, report

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Slater, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Few days before the yearly charter as usual the phone is blowing-up by the usual
    suspects with wanted an updated game plan. Knowing Markus is busy really didn't
    want to bother him but by Tuesday I make the phone call & he said he was hoping
    to find us some good numbers of Bluefin the first day with high hopes of wanting
    to go trophy hunting on Sunday. He mentioned the larger model bite has been
    inconsistent but encouraged us to check it out & if we couldn't find them we
    would continue on in our local waters...
    Well Friday the 14th arrived & as Markus & I took care of business he explained
    that the Bluefin tuna just vanished & the bite fell apart. He knew of many boats
    covering a vast area trying to locate them again & have came-up empty..
    Markus had plan-B but was not very excited about it being Saturday & dealing the crowds of boats..
    As Markus boarded he saw a pile of pink rods & said, "this must be Shannon's
    section"
    Well actually Markus she cant come on this run as she just had surgery but I
    stole all her gear...
    We were blessed with some flat seas, minimal wind, & lots of sunshine on the
    entire trip!
    On deck we had chef Steve, Matt #1, Matt #2, & Dominick, all had a great attitude & they were always there to help.
    Saturday morning at grey light we start dropping jigs & fishing some bait trying
    to get something on the boat but unsuccessful.
    Markus makes a move & locates some scattered fish on the sonar & we repeat,
    first fish hooked was by me on an SX & 30lb 5/0 circle.
    Shortly after putting the reel & gear & winding tight we realize I have a marlin
    as she jumps multiple times....
    Knowing I wasn't going to kill her & not wanting to waste an hour of our time
    trying to get her boat side & start thumbing the spool & bust her off.
    Through the first day we managed to scratch out about 40 yellowfin tuna. Having
    overshot fish & making a few moves Markus found some productive water. Through
    the trip was encountered about 20 dry kelps besides 2 5lb rat yellows which were
    released.
    We only managed one troll fish on the entire trip which put a huge bend in Zanes
    troll stick but few minutes into the fight the fish came unbuttoned.
    It was tough to find a true pattern that worked consistently as there was none.
    Some guys getting bit on 40lb mono without flouro, while at times I couldn't get
    bit on 30lb spectra with 15lb flouro with a small hook, but that rig was deadly
    at times, we managed a few on the flat falls, colt snipers, a handful on the
    popper.. by the way there's a very large hammerhead out there with a $40 popper
    piercing..
    We had a few new guys to our group & it was important to me they caught
    fish & had a great time along with the usual group of guys.
    After day one came to an end Markus ran back in to re-load the bait tanks.
    Day 2 Sunday morning fishing was a bit better & we had 2 great stops & managed
    about 140 yft. 180 yft for the trip.
    As the bite died most of us worked together & tried to switch things up &
    managed to scratch out a few more fish, Markus would always suggest dropping to
    the light line & trying smaller baits, or a smaller mega bait / jig. Ken "Jig
    Stick" found he was more successful fishing the biggest bait he can find. I gave
    it a try & it also seamed to work for me also as the bigger baits are more
    lively / better swimmers.
    Steve is Markus's / The New Lo Ann's new cook & the food was on-point, The usual
    breakfast burritos, burgers, chicken bacon sandwiches, pork loin & prime rib
    dinner was also excellent!
    Well another successful charter!
    A couple of the guys managed to take some pics & ill post them as they come in.
    Thanks to Penske Ford & Bill Drew for the continuation of such a great event.
    Thanks to Ali & Zane for the swag, along with a great group of guys to fish
    with!!
    Ofcoarse thanks Markus for another stellar trip!
    Also thanks to Sean at Fishermans Processing for meeting as the boat Sunday evening on our return. Made arrangements as years past & this year roughly 14 out of the 22 passenger used FP to have their fish processed. Deckies still had enough fish to fillet & kept busy & were actually encouraging having fish processed!
    001.jpg 004.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 010.jpg 011.jpg 013.jpg 015.jpg 021.jpg 023.jpg 029.jpg 031.jpg 032.jpg 034.jpg 036.jpg 038.jpg 047.jpg 049.jpg 047.jpg 051.jpg 055.jpg nla 2015 2 123.JPG nla 2015 2 128.JPG 058.jpg 059.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Tunahead, surfgoose, BangHUss and 6 others like this.
  2. tuna sniffer

tuna sniffer SD '63

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    1 tin 1 glass
    Looks like fun was had by all. Gotta love that weather and fish so close you can come back in to re bait. Like that shot of the 4 guys bent in the corner. Good job putting it together.

3. The Piper Lee

The Piper Lee Skipper In Training

Name:
    Duplex Dave
    Boat:
    21' Wahoo
    Better than a sharp stick in the eye, eh?
    Nice report and pics, some good and bloody decks. Nice fish, not monsters but not peanuts either (great fun size for the newbs). I take it you are the one in the red Booyaa shirt?
    Question, this is the second post I've read about a multi day coming back in for bait at night. Is the bait situation running that low with the combination of the fish being close enough to allow this? I'm sure the captains would prefer to save the fuel if they did not have to come back in to rebait?

4. Slater

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    That would be me, that is my camo outfit to blend in with my surroundings...
    We were also content with the grade as you stated nice average grade fish. Some of them had heart & fought harder & thinking ough this is a bigger model, get them boat side & that wasn't the case. All the fish were about the same size, zero big models. For the first time ever I made a last minute decision to not bother with a jackpot & that workout for the best...
    The bait is not cured what so ever right now for the short trips & private boaters, caught the same day we are loading them into the bait tanks. If it was cured bait especially for the shorter trips they may have the option to pack more in the tanks & they would be fine but thats not the case so they has to reload.
    That being said there's a lot of die-off. They get bloody red & sluggish in a short time also when you cast them & they hit the water scales go flying everywhere!

Main key to getting bit was your bait selection & getting them to swim. So some boats forget the for-go the saving fuel equation & run back in to get more bait so they don't have to ration bait on the second day. Cant get #'s without bait...
    Markus has done that for us 3 years in a row now but obviously only cuz we are fishing close to home...

5. Deep_blue

Deep_blue Cristy J

Name:
    Robert Jones
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    Nice fish, Rob. Glad you guys had fun and slayed some! Wtg.

6. obtunaman

obtunaman Member

Name:
    Lonie
    Boat:
    17' Invader open bow
    Glad to see another great charter for the Drew/Penske team! You guys always make a great showing here.

7. BowBoy

BowBoy "SSSSHHHH its a secret"

Name:
    Laslo
    Boat:
    Tin can
    Do u guys ever have a bad trip with Markus??? Nice work dude. Put me on the waiting list.

8. clintonstick

clintonstick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    g3
    In my opinion this year markus medak has proven without a doubt that he is the best captain in san diego short fleet,he hammered the big bf,then limits of a very nice grade,now he has transitioned straight to yf.Hail to the man.Really impressive man!!!!I wish i could get on that boat again.I wish he did more 2.5 day trips.He will be lobster fishing soon.

9. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    saving fuel? multi-day trip used to normally run 120-150 miles each way plus trolling. This season and much of last, these boats are travelling... well?.... not quite so far and pocketing HUGE AMOUNTS of fuel money PLUS fuel surcharges that were built into the pricing per the demands of the SBs of SD. Being so close to the bait docks eliminates having to load two days worth of weak bait that is just going to die within a half day anyway. Doesnt it make sense for a boat to come in at night when the anglers are sleeping and not fishing anyway???????????????.

Paul Ward likes this.
  10. The Piper Lee

The Piper Lee Skipper In Training

Name:
    Duplex Dave
    Boat:
    21' Wahoo
    Slater answered the question. If the bait was cured and could last the entire trip do you think they would be coming in at night?

wils likes this.
  11. I'M OFF

I'M OFF Really off

Name:
    Tommy
    Boat:
    NICE Rob!!!!

12. zanegler

zanegler Bomboy Lures Are Money!

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    Another great charter from Rob. Great group, great crew, great boat, and a rock-star in captain Markus.

In addition, Big E does a perfect Chris Farley. Had me laughing hysterically.

I Neglected to take many pictures. Same advice as to what worked as years past. Do what Markus suggests. If he says fish are with us but deep, drop a flat-fall or megabait. If he says fish are getting shy and suggests lighter line and smaller hook, do that.

I truly enjoyed sharing the rail with this group as always.

Markus took A picture with me. I told him to pretend he likes me. Note the blood on his legs. Classic.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

13. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Nice. Great trip!!

14. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I want to know more about the hammerhead that made off with the popper! He actually struck it? Or did he eat a tuna that had taken it?

15. Jig Stick

Jig Stick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Cabo 216...Sold
    I lost the popper to the hammerhead.

I had just caught a yellowfin on a Strike Pro popper (8" black diamond) and went back for another. After launching the popper off the bow, I noticed a loop buried in my spool so I took a second to peel some line off and get the loop out. The popper was just sitting in the water, straight off the bow, when the hammerhead turned on the popper, went straight for it and took it under. It was actually petty cool to see its head come out of the water to grab the surface lure. Anyway, I lightly pulled the line tight in order to not set any hooks (so I might be able to get my popper back) but it was too late. The minute any tension was applied, the line unbuttoned and that was...almost it.

When I was tying on another lure, another guy on the boat yells out to me that my popper had surfaced on the starboard side of the boat, about 30' out. I run to the first rod I could grab and start casting at my popper to try to bring it back. Like a scene out of "Castaway" I'm yelling in my head "WILSON...WILSOOOOON!" After a few minutes, a few guys joined in at casting on the popper. However the thing continually drifts off and drops out of sight.

I had changed the hooks on that lure to a couple of Owner Stinger ST-76 trebles with welded rings instead of split rings and loved that popper. DAMN!

Overall, another great trip put on by Slater and special thanks to Pensky Ford and the Drew family.

Olddog8 and surfgoose like this.
  16. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great report and nice fish everyone! LOL

17. IPayBar

IPayBar The Hornimal

Name:
    Augie
    Boat:
    NoCan DUI
    Looks like a great time...Good boat and crew.

18. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    Usual suspects huh? So somewhere in those pics is the previously never photographed OG Keyser Sose!

19. Jay1

Jay1 Member

Name:
    Julian
    Boat:
    Team Salty Dream
    Markus is on fire this yr he always finds fish even on the worst days. You can't go wrong with him as capt.:worship:

20. Slater

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Also wanted to thank Sean at Fishermans Processing for once again agreeing to meet us at the docks on our Sunday night return with his crew..
    This is the third year now that Sean has done this for us & well worth the money to get a great product.
    Made arrangements as years past & this year roughly 14 out of the 22 fishermen used FP to have their fish processed. Deckies still had enough fish to fillet as they were still cutting as we approached the point & were actually encouraging having fish processed!
    Markus called-in & gave Sean an accurate fish count for processing & Sean came equipped with more than enough help so everyone was able to check-in their fish quickly!