New Lo An

Jvc126

Jul 7, 2016
NH
Name
Hell bent
Boat
Down east
Hello BD folks. I posted awhile back about going Tuna fishing. Well I am finally getting my chance.
Going out this Saturday for a 1.5 day trip. If anyone is going out on the New Lo An hit me up. I could use some pointers and general guidance on this type of fishing.
Thanks JVC
Ok guys just got off the NLA. No fish for me. But the boat did land 6 BF up to 65lbs I believe. 4 YT and 1 Bonito. Capt Adam and crew were great and he really tried to put us on fish. Which he did. Just couldn’t always get them to bite.
The rental gear I had was good but the 30lb setup would not free spool very easily. I didn’t Use the 80 all that much.
All in all a very good trip. And I hope I learned something’s for my next trip.
JVC

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The poster already went on his trip.

Drink heavy up to departure time, be loud and stay up late, sleep till noon and order a big breakfast at lunch time and get ready for the late afternoon bite
But I gotta say :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
** Most Important ** Get there early to get a parking spot.
Adam is a great captain, fished with him for years and is a great friend. The landing will hook you up with the rental gear.
If you can upgrade to a 2 speed, spend the extra $$. Fishermans landing has Talica II on Calstar setups for rent. The Tuna have been 50-90lbs+ and they are mean. #40 Florocarbon minimum, and assortment of hooks #1 thru 3/0. Bring a couple of 6 or 8oz sinkers and a couple of rubberbands. Have at least one flat fall. Adam will give the fishing seminar to everyone on the bow while bait is being loaded. Unfortunately at that point it is too late to head back to the landing for the one "must have" piece of tackle that you just learned about. I'll be on the Independence out of Point Loma this weekend. Good luck and tight lines...
Getting there early for parking is a MUST !!!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Ok guys just got off the NLA. No fish for me. But...I hope I learned something’s for my next trip.
one thing i've learned is you've got to pay dues - your odds of a good bite have significantly gone up for your next trip...

just be sure to try a longer fluorocarbon leader and as small hook as they're biting - of course putting in extra quality rail time never hurts your odds in fishy situations

Last edited:

fujirose

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Ok guys just got off the NLA. No fish for me. But the boat did land 6 BF up to 65lbs I believe. 4 YT and 1 Bonito. Capt Adam and crew were great and he really tried to put us on fish. Which he did. Just couldn’t always get them to bite.
The rental gear I had was good but the 30lb setup would not free spool very easily. I didn’t Use the 80 all that much.
All in all a very good trip. And I hope I learned something’s for my next trip.
JVC
Who did you rent your gear from? I always recommend renting from the boat, if the boat has rental equipment. If something goes wrong with the boat equipment, the crew will try to do everything to take care of you. If you have equipment rented from the landing or anywhere else, the crew isn't obligated to spend time on the issues for you.

Its too bad the schools are still sketchy. The crowded trips on weekends and numbers of boats on weekends will make the BFT real wary.

Jvc126

Jul 7, 2016
NH
Name
Hell bent
Boat
Down east
Fujirose I rented right from Point Loma.
I was also on the rail nonstop. Didn’t even have one beer. Fished non stop at every kelp paddy and every mark on the screen. At home I have small game reel made by Release reels with a akuma rod. I will be bringing my gear next time.

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
From a hard fished skunk, to a wide open, drive away from them biting anything and everything, heavy line no floro needed. Keep going and in time you will check all boxes in between