rustman

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I just got off the Grande at 7:30 PM today, Tuesday the 3rd. This was only a full day trip that departed at 5:30 AM the same morning.

Here is the short version of a long trip. The boat only had 2 stops the entire day. Once was at the bait barge for the most excellent bait I have seen. The second stop came when we got back to the landing. That’s right, no opportunities presented themselves to us. We went directly to the area most have been targeting the 100 lb Bluefin and we worked that area hard. We had a couple of private boaters and one sporty out there all pretty spread out, but it did not appear anyone was stopped.

The weather was a little chilly, but very calm. You could see forever and it was the perfect day to spot breaking fish and the crew was glassing all day. At about 5 PM the weather switched gears and by 6 PM it was probably blowing 15 to 20.

I was hoping to get another shot at a BFT before years end, but that’s just Bluefin being Bluefin. I’m sure they are there, just didn’t want to play. Good luck out there.

Billy L

USCG licensed Captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’, 15’ Whalers
The boat only had 2 stops the entire day. Once was at the bait barge for the most excellent bait I have seen. The second stop came when we got back to the landing.
This comment was:. :rofl:
But sorry, it’s not funny. Sorry to hear that you went on a boat ride.
With the bad weather we’ve had, I don’t think there’s much happening since the guy posted about the W/O YT but no Tuna trip from a few days ago

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Laughing.....The "fair weather" fisherman has already stowed his gear for the year. His wife told him...."your done....put your toys away". "It's chilly and wet out there...and your not gonna catch anything but a COLD".

Some of the most incredible tuna fishing I've ever witnessed....came in the most "SHIT HOUSE" weather.

Just saying.....at this late date....."DO or DIE". Just don't whine about it. You knew....and you took a shot. "Victory at Sea"....or the seasons done (for now).

Just don't go meekly!
Be safe out there brothers!

Reactions: larry dickson

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
Grande’s got trips planned for tomorrow through Sunday.

$165 is a small price to pay for the incredible fish that are around right now.

Bring a book or two with you.

Just remember that they found those giant Bluefin for two consecutive days after our last storm passed.

Reactions: FishAcquisition

vipertom1970

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2015
corona
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
just got back from 1.5 days on this boat and think the fat lady sang but good luck if you do go.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Good luck to those who go. Decades ago there were seasons with long periods of only kelp paddy yellows.

Wish there was just one SD sportfishing style boat near me here. Probably be on it right now

So shit house this day with big swell. That's the back of a wave. Not the horizon. There was another boat and it would disappear in the trough. When the boat would roll you would be looking straight down at the ocean. It calmed down as evening came in this pic. Was super gnarly in the morning and afternoon.

1200632_75f22b4729f798fdd4147b95b627fd41~2.jpg

Those are unicorns. WFO unicorn
1200633_c3e0d5bd7a13ad09fd0c5da5284cd466.jpg

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
GOOD LUCK Andrew......we'll be waiting for your update! Stories of Cow BFT must be accompanied with pictures.....lol. Skipper on The LoAnn....has excellent "tuna" sense. They continue to push the fleet....With great service and crew. If someone can "smell" tuna....it's Marcus. Go get um brother......my wife's calling...lol.

rustman

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Laughing.....The "fair weather" fisherman has already stowed his gear for the year. His wife told him...."your done....put your toys away". "It's chilly and wet out there...and your not gonna catch anything but a COLD".

Some of the most incredible tuna fishing I've ever witnessed....came in the most "SHIT HOUSE" weather.

Just saying.....at this late date....."DO or DIE". Just don't whine about it. You knew....and you took a shot. "Victory at Sea"....or the seasons done (for now).

Just don't go meekly!
Be safe out there brothers!
I generally don’t book a trip in the “Late Season” when it’s blowing over 15 knots and showers expected for 2 days. I looked at the weather and saw a perfect opportunity to fish a day before the storms hit and that’s exactly how it worked out.

I am the furthest thing from what you refer to as a fair weather fisherman and most of my friends know I have balls as big as the jolly green giant, but you seem to be a rare breed. Shit is blowing 20+, it’s raining like a crazy and the bite is less that stellar according to my code group. Seems like it’s a perfect opportunity for you to get out and the most incredible day. Oh, make sure you post a report.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
Two pages about a trip that might not even leave the dock ?