2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I chartered the entire boat for the second year in a row, fished with 18 Oregon buddies plus one buddy who drove over from Wyoming. Last year's trip we nailed the conditions, boated about 150 Tuna over 5,000 pounds total including big fish of 328# on the kite. This year I was a bit nervous about the heavy winds in the weeks leading up to our trip. I watched temps at the Tanner Banks drop from 68 degrees down to 63.4. When the New Lo-An docked the morning of our Noon departure with only 4 BFT for a 2.75 day trip my concerns were realized. Plus the ocean forecast for our first day was pretty snotty; 2 big charters got part way out then turned around and refunded passengers their money. When I spoke with Captain Adam it was clear that a Plan "B" was called for.

So we headed south... Way south... Caught a couple rat yellows and a small Dodo the first night. Sunday morning we found a school of football-sized YFT that stuck with us most of the morning. By the time we washed up the decks and headed north towards the BFT grounds we had boat limits of YFT, 20 Skippies, and 13 small YT on board. Fun action but largest fish was just 12#.

We arrived at Tanner Banks around 2:30 a.m. and started dropping flat falls. Captain Adam was realistic, said top boat at Tanner the previous day had just 4 BFT. Sure enough it was a slow pick bite. Not even enough wind to fly the kite. Adam recommended we use our heavy outfits, minimum of 60#. Unfortunately the first bite hit on a sinker rig, my friend was using 50# leader and a 7' Shimano Terez rod with no backbone. Never saw color, fight lasted an hour when the leader snapped at the hook. Second hook-up was on a 40# rig on a fly-lined sardine. Same story, 1 hour fight, never got to color, eventually the hook pulled. Fortunately the third bite came on another sinker rig, Rick was using heavy leader with an XXH rod and a 30-size reel. It was a great fight, lots of effort, 3 gaffs later a 160# BFT hits the deck Hooray! Last bite of our trip was a 30# BFT. We fished late but had no more action into the night.

Captain Adam did his usual amazing job, made the absolute most out of a tough draw. New cook Raul was Awesome! We Ate Great! Deck hands were super friendly and helpful. New Lo-An is a great gig!

Personal lessons learned from this trip:
It never occurred to me that we might fish for small fish. My lightest rig was a UC Tilefish Jr. with a Torque 25nld2, way too much rig for 8 - 12# YFT. I caught enough fish the first day, so the rig performed fine, it just would be more fun to fight little fish with a lighter rig.

Watching the first 2 big fish end badly just confirmed my long-standing commitment to doing what the captain says. On our big fish day I alternated between my UC Predator with a Fathom 40 and my UC Centaur with a Mak 16. Although I did not get bit, the anticipation from seeing the occasional big blow-up nearby was enough to keep me focused at the rail all day. It was fun!

Captain Adam said there are still plenty of fish at the Tanner Banks, they just didn't want to play. We had 2 balloons up all day with frozen flyers, they never had a sniff. Adam said several times we were the spoon in a soup bowl full of Big Fish, they just would not bite. I have friends heading out today for another 2.75 day, I hope they Kill'Em!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Why? Why throw a pee shooter at those bluefin. Those lost fish helped lessen everyone else’s chances, imho.

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

TUNATICO

Almost A Member
Aug 4, 2007
San Diego
Name
Tunatico
Boat
none
Nice report! Thank you. I'm heading out tomorrow on a 3-Dayer. Will take a something heavy for something big.

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Kevin was using heavy leader with an XXH rod and a 30-size reel. It was a great fight, lots of effort, 3 gaffs later a 160# BFT hits the deck Hooray!
Nice report Rod! Was it Rick or Kevin, I know all you guys from Oregon look alike :p

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Also don't post the number of fish caught that exceeds the daily limit, And of coarse listen to what the Captain says about Minimum lb test line to use, As some stated earlier. Losing fish lessens everyone chances. Their is a reason for the heavier line.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    Kevin was using heavy leader with an XXH rod and a 30-size reel. It was a great fight, lots of effort, 3 gaffs later a 160# BFT hits the deck Hooray!
    Nice report Rod! Was it Rick or Kevin, I know all you guys from Oregon look alike :p
    I should never post when I am tired! Yes, it was Rick Hale who caught the large BFT.

Upvote 0

Green Ogre

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2009
    Orygun
    Name
    Shrek
    Boat
    Willie Predator, Learned Dory
    Our Oregon group got off our 9 day on the Shogun the same morning. We were waiting behind you at Fishermens Processing. Now I think I remember seeing Lee from a distance but was parked in the shade napping.

We pulled out on Sunday the 8th into nasty conditions and surfed down swell to Alijos to get way from the weather.

Thats why you gotta go on multiple trips a year, so you can hit the good ones.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and read. Way to make the most of tough conditions. LOL Knarly seas and wind at the Tanner or Cortez is never a day at the beach, and tough fishing.

Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Thanks for the report. It does not always go your way but that’s fishing. You have to take the bad trips like the good trips. Its not always about catching that makes fir a great trip. New lo-an is a above average BFT boat. They work there ass off to get you on the fish

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: litzsout619
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    It does not always go your way but that’s fishing. You have to take the bad trips like the good trips.

Yep. Been fishing for 55 years, and I run dozens of trips each year on my own boat in Oregon. I love them all, even when the results come tough. There is a little disappointment when it happens on the "Once a year" type of trips, but like always, I love being out there on the chase.

Reactions: muletrain
    Upvote 0