Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
As we boarded Markus & all of us discussed our options & game plan.
We boarded the New Lo An & are welcomed by all new crew members that have a
great friendly attitude & want to work, Justin, Matt, Jordan, & Mike in the
galley.
Mike had big shoes to fill now that Christophe was gone but came through & did
a great job keeping us fed along with some great snacks between meals.
Was surprised to see Matt on deck during his summer vacation from his senior
year as he & his dad was actually a guest on last years charter.
Justin gave us an extensive & very detailed seminar on the bow as the rest of the crew loaded the bait tanks with very large healthy sardines compared to last years bait.
Markus explained as its been hard to locate these large bluefin & if they are
located sometimes they are not eager to feed.
He explained weeks prior the ideal water conditions was a small area & the Bluefin
were trapped in this pocket of good water. Now the good water is much larger &
the fish schools have scattered & very difficult to locate.
We opted to head south about 130 miles down the beach & we were able to limit
out on yellowtail & a hand full of dorado.
Shannon was able to scratch-out a lonesome 65 lb bluefin & backed by a 30lb
yellow before day one came to a close.
During dinner Markus came down & said fishing for the Bluefin has been tough
for most of the fleet but theres a promising area north west from our 130ml mark
& we may be able to scratch-out some trophy's at greylight..
Markus travels north during the night & wakes-us early & we start soaking
baits.
Markus deploys the kite & first-up is me, not 2 minutes into soaking my
kite-rig I get bit & short while later 70lb bluefin hits the deck, using 7/0 j
hook on my 80lb rig, afterwards I managed to get another one on my 50lb bait rig shoulder hooking a dine with a 5/0 nautilus circle hook.
Next up on the kite was Shannon & then Steve Finley, she wanted to skip her turn as she
had her chance, I changed her mind for her & she soaked a bait on the kite
turned out not to be productive as after greylight the fish were no longer
feeding on the surface & were deep meter marks at this point..
Day 2 we were only able to scratch-out 14 of these trophy local bluefin & cant
say we had a set pattern that worked.
Some were caught on the long soak fly lining, others were caught on the slow
retrieve after the fly line long soak, a few were successful using 4oz topedo
sinkers going deep along with a few jig fish deep also.
Most of the rigs we used for the bluefin were 40 or 50lb floro with a 3/0 - 6/0
circle hooks. They still bit the heavy line & larger hook if you have the right
bait at the right place, at the right time...
Everyone worked together & great attitudes, not many tangles but we did have
some casualties as on any boat, probably lost a hand full of trophy's to
sawoffs, propped, pulled hooks, etc, just part of the game.
Always a pleasure fishing with my co-workers & guests who join us every year
along with meeting a great new group of guys, big thank you to all involved in
making this a great trip.
Markus & crew have gone above & as always & were always there to take care of
a situation & coach during the battle to those who needed it to insure we don’t
lose one of these beasts!
Another big thank you to Sean at Fishermans Processing keeping his promise &
having Melanie meet us at the landing the late night of our Sunday return as I
had 12 folks in our group wanting fished processed to ensure best quality
product & have fish last...
Most importantly a huge thank you to the Drew Family for making this trip possible & keeping a tradition going, learned from Mr. Drew while he joined us this year that the yearly charters have been taken place since the 60's!
As always, looking forward to next year..
Want to thank Whiteyfish, Jig Stick, Yft1979, Surfaceslinger, Zanegler, brando157 along with the other guests for joining in on the fun!
Still bummed that you had to miss this one Steve sinsontekid, congrats grandpa!

P1000961.jpgP1000946.jpgP1000949.jpgP1000954.jpgP1000987.jpgP1000947.jpgP1000948.jpgP1000966.jpgP1000969.jpgP1000970.jpgP1000972.jpgP1000976.jpgP1000977.jpgP1000980.jpgP1000981.jpgP1000982.jpgP1000986.jpgP1000964.jpgP1000955.jpgP1000968.jpgP1000967.jpgP1000956.jpgP1000959.jpgP1000945.jpg

Attachments

• P1000975.jpg
    P1000975.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

Deep_blue

Cristy J
Sep 5, 2004
Poway/CA/USA
Name
Robert Jones
Boat
Grady White 282 Sailfish
Rob, wtg on a nice bluefin. That was a great report and glad you and Shannon had some quality fish to enjoy. Seems like you always have a good time on your annual trip. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

BKII kicks ass! :D

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
    Apr 5, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Very nice! Congrats

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
    May 21, 2006
    Frazier Park
    Name
    Mikee
    Boat
    12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
    Xlint, great quality, pics and report!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    great report Rob........long range BFT close to home.......nice work!

Upvote 0

BASSMITH

Almost A Member
    Nov 23, 2010
    U-KI-PA
    Name
    james
    Boat
    18ft basstracker "the other woman"
    Thanks for the detailed report....Thats some quality BFT....The picture of that big BF with a megabait still in its jaw is Awesome....Good times

Upvote 0

Slater

Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    Thanks for the detailed report....Thats some quality BFT....The picture of that big BF with a megabait still in its jaw is Awesome....Good times

Two out of the three hooks were straightened as he didnt know any better to swap his hooks out...
    All that counts is we got her in the boat!

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
    Jun 24, 2008
    placerville/ca/usa
    Name
    zane
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    I was fortunate enough to hook-up with Rob three years ago and join his Drew Ford charter. The last three years have all been great trips. Different, but great. It is a little hard to get on an open-party trip after you have had the pleasure of fishing with Rob's (Slater) group.

Rob pretty much covered all the bases. Day 1 we had travelled down past a band of poor water and found paddy's with some ravenous hordes of yellows. Yes, they were small, but infinitely better than nothing. Since we all know that an initial rush of yellows can be followed by the bigger tuna I fished 50# most of the time. A few yellows I hooked were in the water no more that 3 seconds before they were bounced into the boat. All but three yellows on this trip were bounced!

As the day wore on things got pretty sporty with lumpy seas and wind. Markus explained to the group that there was a spot back above the poor water that a few boats had fished the day before with limited success on a grey-light bite on the bigger grade tuna. Of the 5 boats out there the previous day, 3 had 5 to 15 bft in the 50 to 70lb class. We were going trophy hunting. But first, we had to endure a nasty ride out and up to the area. We arrived at 3:30am and Markus shut the engines down on top of the bank, hoping that some fish would gather under the boat.

Once it got light enough to fish, about half the group was at the rail soaking baits. At no time did the fish come any where near the boat. This was a long-soak, scratch bite on scattered big fish. Condition were still quite sporty, and with the fast drift it didn't take long for your horse sardine to be well away from the boat. I was fishing a Phenix Black Diamond PSW 809H with an Avet LX 6/3 two-speed. I had it half-filled with 70 braid, 50# Ande, and 50# Blackwater flouro, with a 5/0 Owner circle-hook. just about the perfect outfit for this type of fishing. It only took about 15 minutes to get our first two bites. Then, I had the distinct pleasure of getting picked up. I reeled down and felt the thrill of the Phenix loading up on of these big fish. A few seconds later I experienced the agony of an inexplicable line break. The good-natured stink-eye look I got from Markus was the final salt-in-the-wound. As I reeled in my line it was obvious it parted well above the hook or flouro to mono knot.

With the limited number of bites we were getting, and likely to get, I was somewhat devastated. I calmy retied my flouro leader, tied on another hook and went back at it to see if lightining would strike twice at the end of my line.

About 30 minutes later was first call for breakfast and some of the group actually left the rail! There was only four of us at the upwind rail when we all got picked up. Two of the four found a weakness in the system and busted off. I was gun-shy from the first break-off and never did push the lever quite all the way to strike, which was set at 16lbs. I did however drop into low gear and slowly made ground on my fish. I am pretty sure i would have thown myself on the deck and thrown a tantrum if I lost this fish. Matt, my buddy from the year before as an angler, and now a deckhand was by my side the entire time making sure nobody tried to set the hook on my fish, and avoid any other mayhem. Then, right at the boat, per 'captains perogative' just as Matt was waiting for the fish to make one more circle, Markus appears with the long gaff and reaches out and sticks my fish! Awesome!

I also witnessed Markus do the single most amazing long reach, around the stern corner gaff of Robs fish just as it looked like something very bad was about to happen.

My last few points are that it is my observation that Markus still has an incredible passion for fishing. His eyes lit up as each trophy bft came over the rail.

My second point is that the crew was incredible. I was thinking about how the entire sportfishing industry is supported on the back of these young (mostly) crew members who work long hours, under difficult conditions to make our trips a success. I get off a single trip and it takes me days to recover. They turn the boat around in an hour and head out to do it all over again, sometimes for 30 to 40 days without a break. NOBODY, NOT NOBODY, deserves your generous tip more than these guys (and gals). Not the waitress with the pretty smile, not the valet, not the stripper that tells you how special and different you are, not NOBODY! Shame on you if you find some lame excuse to not dig deep into your pocket when paying your galley tab and you see that tip jar in front of you. OK, stepping off my soap-box.

I have been fishing out of San Diego since the 70's. The chance of catching a local trophy tuna right now is unprecedented. For many years, the big fish was maybe a 30 - 35 lb albacore. Rarely, someone might hook a Bigeye. Get out there and take a your best shot. You very well could catch the fish-of-a-lifetime. My 58# BFT on this trip was my personal best local tuna in over 40 years of fishing. Get er done!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      255.3 KB · Views: 35
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      176.3 KB · Views: 37
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      206.9 KB · Views: 45
    • 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      201.1 KB · Views: 45
    Upvote 0

bigwill857

Sep 1, 2009
    Redding, CA
    Name
    William Hartsell
    Boat
    none
    I have been fortunate enough to hook-up with rob three years ago and join his Drew Ford charter. The last three years have all been gret trips. Different, but great. It is a little hard to get on an open-party trip after you have had the pleasure of fishing with Rob's (Slater) group.

Rob pretty much covered all the bases. Day 1 we had travelled down past a band of poor water and found paddy's with some ravenous hordes of yellows. Yes, they were small, but infinitely better that nothing. Since we all know that an initial rush of yellows can be followed by the bigger tuna I fished 50# most of the time. A few yellows I hooked were in the water no more that 5 seconds before they were bounced into the boat. All but three yellows on this trip were bounced!

As the day wore on things got pretty sporty with lumpy seas and wind. Markus explained to the group that there was a spot back above the poor water that a few boats had fished the day before with limited success on a grey-light bite on the bigger grade tuna. Of the 5 boats out there the previous day, 3 had 5 to 15 bft in the 50 to 70lb class. We were going trophy hunting. But first, we had to endure a nasty ride out and up to the area. We arrived at 3:30am and Markus shut the engines down on top of the bank, hoping that some fish would gather under the boat.

Once it got light enough to fish, about half the group was at the rail soaking baits. At no time did the fish come any where near the boat. This was a long-soak, scratch bite on scattered big fish. Condition were still quite sporty, and with the fast drift it didn't take long for your horse sardine to be well away from the boat. I was fishing a Phenix Black Diamond PSW 809H with an Avet LX 6/3 two-speed. I had it half-filled with 70 braid, 50# Ande, and 50# Blackwater flouro, with a 5/0 Ownere circle-hook. just about the perfect outfit for this type of fishing. It only took about 15 minutes to get our first two bites. Then, I had the distinct pleasure of getting picked up. I reeled down and felt the thrill of the Phenix loading up on of these big fish. A few seconds later I experienced the agony of an inexplicable line break. The good-natured stink-eye look I got from Markus was the final salt-in-the-wound. As I reeled in my line it was obvious it parted well above the hook or flouro to mono knot.

With the limited number of bites we were getting, and likely to get, I was somewhat devastated. I calmy retied my flouro leader, tied on another hook and went back at it to see if lightining would strike twice at the end of my line.

About 30 minutes later was first call for breakfast and some of the group actually left the rail! There was only four of us at the upwind rail when we all got picked up. Two of the four found a weakness in the system and busted off. I was gun-shy from the first break-off and never did puch the lever quite all the way to strike which was set at 16lbs. I did however drop into low gear and slowly made ground on my fish. I am pretty sure i would have thown myself on the deck and thrown a tantrum if I lost this fish. Matt, my buddy from the year before as an angler, and now a deckhand was by my side the entire time making sure nobody tried to set the hook on my fish, and avoid any othe mayhem. Then, right at the boat, per 'Captains perogative' just as Matt was waiting for the fish to make one more circle, Markus appears with the long gaff and reaches out and sticks my fish! Awesome!

I also witnessed Markus do the single most amazing long reach, around the stern corner gaff of Robs fish just as it looked like something very bad was about the happen.

My last couple points are that it is my observation that Markus still has an incredible passion for fishing. His eyes light up as each trophy bft came over the rail.

My second point is that the crew was incredible. I was thinking about how the entire sportfishing industry is supported on the back of these young (mostly) crew members who work long hours, under difficult conditions to make our trips a success. I get of a single trip and it takes me days to recover. They turn the boat around in an hour and head out to do it all over again. NOBODY, NOT NOBODY, deserves your generous tip more than these guys (and gals). Not the waitress with the pretty smile, not the valet, not the stripper that tells you how special and different you are, not NOBODY! Shame on you if you find some lame excuse to not dig deep into your pocket when paying your galley tab and you see that tip jar in front of you. OK, stepping off my soap-box.

I have been fishing out of San Diego since the 70's. The chance of catching a local trophy tuna right now is unprecedented. For many years, the big fish was maybe a 30 - 35 lb albacore. Rarely, someone might hook a Bigeye. Get out there and take a your best shot. You very well could catch the fish-of-a-lifetime. My 58# BFT on this trip was my personal best local tuna in over 40 years of fishing. Get er done!
    Congrats. Biggest in 40 years? What boats have you fished? I have caught a couple albacore over 40 and bluefin to about 65. And I rarely get to go out of San Diego, or fishing for that matter. Nothing beats fresh bruefin.

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
    Jun 24, 2008
    placerville/ca/usa
    Name
    zane
    Boat
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    Congrats. Biggest in 40 years? What boats have you fished? I have caught a couple albacore over 40 and bluefin to about 65. And I rarely get to go out of San Diego, or fishing for that matter. Nothing beats fresh bruefin.

Some years there were no fish...at all. Nothing. 58 is > 40. Just making a point that this is some dang good fishing. Who can predict the future? I also went 20 years without seeing a sardine.

Upvote 0

Slater

Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    I heart Zane, well said & thanks again for joining us, always a pleasure having you & Adolf on board!

Upvote 0