New Lo-An 2 day TRIP REPORT WFO (SeE piCs)

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
</STRONG>
NEW LO-AN 2 DAY TRIP REPORT WFO w/PHOTOS
Let&#8217;s get straight to the trip. 2 day on New Lo-An departed Sunday evening at roughly 2030. Ran to the bait receiver and loaded up on sardines with a few small macs mixed in. The crew for the trip was as follows, Captain Markus Medak, Travis, Bill, Tommy, and Tony in the Galley. Blake had the trip off. We left the dock on this open party trip with a light load of only 15 anglers. People immediately started talking to one another and you could tell it was a good group of guys looking to have fun. After clearing the Point, Markus gave a quick seminar regarding fishing techniques and what to expect. He indicated that we were hoping for some better grade yellows under paddies that were being caught. Of course he would be looking for albacore and mixed tuna as well, but they had been eluding the fleet for days prior.

At grey light, the jigs went in the water and it was game on! During the AM, we found several kelps holding good quality yellowtail, average 18-25lbs, with bigger fish mixed in. YT fishing was WFO and I got many fish on 40# on the JX6/3. Also dropped down to 30# on the Torium 20 and managed several on that rig too. Everybody was getting bit, and managed to land fish. For the more experience guys, it was full speed. Biggest yellowtail on the trip was caught by Steve Branker and weighed in at 34#.

Steve with his 34# yellow. Nice fish Steve!!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
<font face=" /><o:p>[IMG]http://www.bdoutdoors.com/gallery1/files/7/3/5/6/NewLo-An070906006.jpg</o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Me with an average sized YT. They don&#8217;t bite any better than they did on Monday!!
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>As the morning continued on, Markus started seeing the Tuna on the meter and they wanted to play. We had few stops for a few handfuls of Albacore, all nice fish. I believe the bigger Albacore on the trip were caught on the first few stops, which were pick bites. Biggest Albacore of the trip weighed in at 42lbs, caught by fellow loan officer Chris Comer, and was good enough for jackpot.
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3><o:p>
</o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Chris Comer MIDDLE with his jackpot albacore, flanked on the left by Sarah, a marine biologist doing studies on albacore stomachs, and on the right by Andy Leach. Andy's Albacore went 41#, NICE!!
<FONT size=3>After alternating between and albacore and Yellowtail, we ran into some willing Bluefin Tuna. It was WFO for quite a while. I was fishing 40# on the JX6/3 and my new custom Seeker, I got all my Bluefin on that rig. The fish stayed with us for quite a while, and those willing to get back in the water would hook up immediately. During the bite, Bob Ryan SEE PIC was on fire. Bob fishes very hard and knows all the tricks.
<FONT size=3>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Bob Ryan with one of his many Tuna caught. Only photo I got of Bob. Everytime I grabbed the camera to get a photo, he was hooked back up again.
<FONT size=3>As the Bluefin bite turned into a pick, Captain Markus decided to break out the kite. Although we didn&#8217;t land any fish on the kite, there were couple boils on baits. Most passengers had no idea what was up with the kites, but I was totally impressed that Markus would give the technique a go on a 2day. We started from 1 and I was 16, so I never got up on kite, but I was ready, willing and wanting!!
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>Day two added plenty of ripper bites on Albacore. I got all my albacore on 40# on the JX and 50# on the TLD 20 II. It was really nice having the nuts to take care of the tuna without getting worked. I never broke out anything lighter than 30# on the trip and that was only on YT.
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>The group of guys on the trip was amongst the best I&#8217;ve ever fished with. Not necessarily in terms of their fishing knowledge, as many were novices. But everybody did a good job following their fish and were willing to relinquish their rigs to the crew for help with tangles when necessary. All the guys on the trip were very cool. There was no attitude and everyone worked together. I think a few people had a trip of a lifetime on their first trip and hopefully they won&#8217;t expect it to be this way every time. I had a great time talking with all the guys and made some new friends. Although I cant remember every name, I do remember a few, including Andy and Rob, Jim Mosier, Anthony, Bryan Richardson, Derek, Bob Ryan and Ron, Steve Branker, Chris Comer and his Dad from Abilene, Big Irv, &#8230; it was just a great group especially considering it was open party.
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>As always the crew worked extremely hard to find kelps, put us on fish, and help us knuckleheads get out of tangles, etc. The food was very good and the weather was just fine. Everybody got plenty of fish and nobody got hurt. Thanks Captain Markus and Crew&#8230;.
<FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3>Here are some more photos. I will put up a few more once I get them emailed to me. Enjoy!!
<FONT size=3>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Jim Mosier RIGHT, and the football guy
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3><o:p>
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Tommy washing down the evidence while Sarah measures albacore for fork length. She number tagged every ALB, took scale samples, took lat/long coord&#8217;s and seatemps, measured each fish for length, and finally collected each stomach in a separate bag and straight into the dry ice.
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>very bloody deck
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Yours truly with a bloody Alb, Andy Leach in the background hooked up. Andy and Rob were pros by the time the trips was over.
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Even a blind squirrel finds the occaisional nut. I&#8217;m just blasting Ron cuz he has no internet so I know he can&#8217;t respond!!! Cool Guy.
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3>Bryan Richardson with a nice Dorado.
<FONT color=black><FONT size=3><FONT color=black><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place><FONT color=#0b00da New Roman? Times><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black>Derek with a pair</st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place><FONT color=#0b00da New Roman? Times><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black></st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place><FONT color=#0b00da New Roman? Times><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT face=Verdana><FONT size=3><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana size=3>
</st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place><FONT color=#0b00da New Roman? Times><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT face=Verdana><FONT size=3><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana size=3>Bryan with a nice pair of shortfins.</st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place></st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place>Coutesy of Bryan Richardson</st1:place>
<FONT size=3><FONT face="]<st1:City"><st1:place><FONT color=#0b00da New Roman? Times><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT face=Verdana><FONT size=3><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana size=3>
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>

<FONT size=3>Jim Mosier with one of many longfins.
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3>

<FONT size=3>Chris with an Albie
<FONT size=3>
<FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3><FONT size=3>Final Count
<FONT size=3>71 Albacore (up to 42#)
<FONT size=3>43 BFT (20-35)
<FONT size=3>68 YT (up to 34#)
<FONT size=3>2 YFT
<FONT size=3>2 Dorado
<FONT size=3>GREAT TRIP!
<FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"></st1:place><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT color=black><FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana><FONT face=Verdana>

chriscoobs

Nov 22, 2004
So Cal
Name
Chris
Boat
Sportys
NICE JOB ON THE ALBIES, good to see them showing a little more.

Feb 17, 2005
laguna
Name
jorge
Boat
none
I have very fond memories of sharing the rail with Bob, he's funny as hell.

fishin4fun

Im sofa king we taught it
Jul 22, 2005
Webster, Tx
www.myspace.com
Name
Chance
Boat
I could be your ho
Nice fishing, looks like ya'll really slayed them. Are the Marine biologists out every year like this? I've been on 2 boats that had them this year so far, a 1/2 day and an overnight. Guy on the overnight was real nice despite the blackbeard the pirate jokes. Threadjack over......Congrats on a very successful 2 day JW.

Stanley

Pro Boat Scrubber
Nov 28, 2003
Agua Hedionda
Visit site
Name
Spooker
Boat
24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
Dang, do all Marine Biologist look like that? I got newborn respect.

eightmd

May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Doal
Boat
17' Nitro
Nice trip, and nice pics. I was just out on a 5 day and we didn't find the fish as willing. Great going. Thanks for the report.

Az.monkey

Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
Great report and pics bro, things are starting to look up and Marcus knows his shit ! Glad you had a great time :)

drseiler

Super-Model
Mar 19, 2006
Camp North-Star
Name
Hal Danish or Harry Tators
Boat
19' Mako
Great pics great report and great boat. congrats brass!

JTAP

Feb 17, 2004
Bonita
Visit site
Name
Guapo Sancho
Boat
Sportboats
fishin4fun said:
Nice fishing, looks like ya'll really slayed them. Are the Marine biologists out every year like this? I've been on 2 boats that had them this year so far, a 1/2 day and an overnight. Guy on the overnight was real nice despite the blackbeard the pirate jokes. Threadjack over......Congrats on a very successful 2 day JW.
Just our luck, bad fishing for us and our guy looked like black beard. They had great fishing and they had a hottie.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
It was nice to know that as soon as you threw your bait, you'd be hanging another fish. It was WFO 5 times I can remember. 3 Kelps stops WFO on yellows the first morning, 1 WFO Bluefin stop day one, I WFO Alb stop the 2nd morning. I was fishing 40# and 50# , two speed, it was great.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Lend-a-Fish said:
It was nice to know that as soon as you threw your bait, you's be hanging another fish. It was WFO 5 times I can remember. 3 Kelps stops WFO on yellows the first morning, 1 WFO Bluefin stop day one, I WFO Alb stop the 2nd morning. I was fishing 40# and 50# , two speed, it was great.
Man, that's my kinda tuna fishing. No fuckin' around with small, light wire, ringed hooks and fluorocarbon leaders. No needing to fish light string. I hate light line tuna fishing. Gimme a double shot of that 40-50 lb two speed fishin' every time. Great trip, thanks for posting all the photos.

Pancheke

CHILANGO HATER
Apr 28, 2004
ENSENADA
Name
PANCHEKE
Boat
QUE ?????
note to self , get back on water soon !!!!

great pics, glad you guys killed some fish, way to go !!!

elteee69

Team Drunk
May 16, 2006
So Cal
Name
el Tee
Boat
yup
Looks like you got every gamefish out there... where's the marlin? Sick report

Stringer

Idiot Savant
Jul 7, 2005
Bakersfield
Name
Stringer
Boat
25 Skipjack FB
Great report, excellent pic's. Nice mixed bag.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
wils said:
awesome fucking report, dude. we may not agree anywhere else, but I gotta admit: you rock on the tuna! :notworthy
We probably agree on more than we know... Its funny but have you ever noticed that people you dont like usually grow on you and then you like them.... Also, the people you love right from the get go usually turn out to be the biggest shitheads.

Its all good. More fishing, less fighting!! Thanks WILS. Wish you could have been there. There was plenty of open rail space.

T-Lines.
Jason

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Steve K said:
Man, that's my kinda tuna fishing. No fuckin' around with small, light wire, ringed hooks and fluorocarbon leaders. No needing to fish light string. I hate light line tuna fishing. Gimme a double shot of that 40-50 lb two speed fishin' every time. Great trip, thanks for posting all the photos.
Yep, I couldnt agree more. The last thing I wanted to do was hang any tuna or Alb in that grade on 20# and my Trini 14. F&*$ that. Give me the two speed. Im just about ready to shed the Trini and Tori from my arsenal and add another JX 6/3 and that little 30# two speed (dont know the number).

Also, I couldnt agree more with your modo "Shorter Rods, Longer Trips" I fished 6' rods on the trip and it was so cozy. No pain anywhere. I can cast plenty far with 6-0. Anyways most of the time on butt-hooked dines, i underhand flip cast and can still get out just as far as anyone else. Once you hook the fish, the short rod is soooo nice. Im not going to complain at all about this short trip, but man Im ready for a longer trip. Would love to take a 10day on the Star maybe in Nov or Dec. Im way overdue for a cow!

nato428

Jun 22, 2006
San Diego
Name
nato
Boat
21, Seasquirt, Bilbot
Great report. Its always good to find good company and catching some fish always helps. Congrats and thanks for the report....

Blender02

Jun 5, 2004
San Marcos, Ca
Name
Paul
Boat
N/A
"We probably agree on more than we know... Its funny but have you ever noticed that people you dont like usually grow on you and then you like them.... Also, the people you love right from the get go usually turn out to be the biggest shitheads."

I agree. You drove me crazy the 1st time I met your little bitch ass at turners and now I talk to your every day. Thanks for the bluefin and yellowtail. It went to good use. Hopefully my fat ass can get out with you soon and catch some fish. As for shit canning your trinis and toriums: give them to me. I'll upgrade the drags and fish them forever. Besides Cade will need some gear in the next couple of years.

You need to go fishing with John and I and kill some mudbass in the next couple of week.
Paul

TROB

Oct 31, 2005
Idaho
Name
Tommy
Boat
Duck Schmuck - yak
jason it was a nice fuckin change to slay some tuna. the next trip only yielded 27 alb, and have not shown up since. The fish are moving south fast but we have a 1.5 day leaving tomorrow night. Guys had several stops of 70 fish today. you guys really got lucky with the timing. had fun fishing with everyone and i got lucky enough to get a day off tonight so when markus gets a day off i'll ask him to send pictures. email me

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Lend-a-Fish said:
Also, I couldnt agree more with your modo "Shorter Rods, Longer Trips" I fished 6' rods on the trip and it was so cozy. No pain anywhere. I can cast plenty far with 6-0. Anyways most of the time on butt-hooked dines, i underhand flip cast and can still get out just as far as anyone else. Once you hook the fish, the short rod is soooo nice.
I'm with you on the short rods. First thing I learned a long time ago was an underhanded bait is a happy bait. And the short rod makes it so much easier to cast and then follow your bait through the inevitable "bait tangle" at the stern. Since I switched to 6-6 1/2' bait rods, I haven't been in nearly as many of those "bait tangles" as we shuffle around the corner of the stern.
Besides, I never could "overhead cast" a sardine anyway. :rofl:

My back also loves the shorter rod. :Rambo_Thr