Offshore New Lo-An 1.5 Day Trip Offshore 7/3

PENN

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
Pulled the trigger, went on the New Lo-An on 7/3 @ 8:00PM...

WONDERFUL TRIP!!!! 32 Anglers.... 7 Bluefin, 100+ Yellowfin, 100+ Yellowtail for a 1.5 day trip... thats insane.

Only downside was the number of anglers, 32 was just too many. Only like half the people followed their lines causing me not being able to follow mine. Weather was great and the overall attitude was just great. I have to say one thing, Captain Markus and crew were amazing. Full of energy all day long and they really wanted people to get fish. Even the captain came down and helped people hook bait and get out there.

The only thing I am bummed about is that I was able to get 4 Yellowtail and 4 Yellowfin but when I got to the dock one of my Yellowtails disappeared.... and it was a big one that I hooked too. But the Yellowfins were what I really came after. Well... I could have really enjoyed that Yellowtail lol.

Most of the yellowtail was caught in the morning with anchovies as bait... the rest were caught on a mixture of bait and lures. The Bonine made me really sleepy throughout the day so I missed out on the fish display at the end of the day but I was able to get some guys to send me photos so I will post them later!

Edit:

I wanted to add that I used a #2 hook on the chovies and was able to get two YFT on that. The rest of mine were caught on the troll and the Yellowtails were caught using a Salas 6x JR Mint Green/White

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jig Stick

GO AZTECS!
Apr 21, 2008
La Costa
Name
Ken
Boat
Grady 28 Sailfish
Congrats on a successful trip. With that many fish being brought in to tag and bag, I can see an honest mistake or two taking place.

Upvote 0

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
glad to hear you a good trip, the boys on the LO AN are honest hard working the missing yellow tail was just a accident.

Upvote 0

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
Yeah. I'm not angry just bummed. And in no way putting the blame on the crew. I just grilled up some yellowtail and made some fish tacos! Gah so good.

The fish gods were good to me today. I have to go again this season for sure.

I wanted to buy a New Lo-An t shirt. But when I went back to the dock the boat was gone. Probably went to refuel... How many gallons does that boat hold?

Upvote 0

OutKasting

Jan 27, 2010
LA/CA
Name
Michael
Boat
none
Good job! How big are the chovies being used? I plan to go out and want to make sure i have the right weight, hooks, line... thanks

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Yeah. I'm not angry just bummed. And in no way putting the blame on the crew. I just grilled up some yellowtail and made some fish tacos! Gah so good.

The fish gods were good to me today. I have to go again this season for sure.

I wanted to buy a New Lo-An t shirt. But when I went back to the dock the boat was gone. Probably went to refuel... How many gallons does that boat hold?
a paycheck or two clad you were on them

Upvote 0

T-Tang

Far from newbie, but lifetime learner
Jul 27, 2006
Dana Point
Name
Tyson
Boat
21' Bayliner Trophy
I'd say you pretty much triumphed in the face of the adversity of dealing with 31 other anglers. I don't like having that many people on a boat with me either. There will be plenty of opportunities this season to catch many more yellowtail.

Upvote 0

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
Thanks for the report, what did you catch the yellowfin on? I'll be on the 1.5 day leaving Friday the 11th.

I personally caught 2 with Chovies and 2 on the Troll. The yellowtails I caught on a Salas 6x JR MintGreen/White

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Welcome to the season! Nice to see you had a good time catchin!
Good fishing, combat fishin, cattle boat!
Ah, not only the chovies are back but the googin, weekend warriors come outta the wood work!

Upvote 0