zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
Jun 24, 2008
placerville/ca/usa
Name
zane
Boat
Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
This trip is Markus' dad's Ron's charter and is limited to 20 anglers that are something of an all-star cast. Big fish is the target every year, no kelp paddy fishing for numbers with this group.

kitegary.jpg

The bigger Bluefin had just started to reappear at the Tanner after a few days of being missing in action on their little swim around the Socal offshore waters. Ron had everyone show up early as the previous 1.5 day gave us the option of leaving earlier than normal for the long run out to the Tanner. The crew had already filled the tanks and the awesome new slammers that were added in the off-season so we headed straight out to our destination.

We just happened to serendipitously park next to a kelp holding yellowfin and as soon as we started fishing, we started hanging a few 15 - 25 lb YFT. I was picked up on a flylined sardine on 60 and had the 20-lb class YFT in the boat in a couple of minutes.

Some of us were fishing sinker rigs and one angler got bit on a bigger BFT but on a smaller Talica. From my vantage point the angler was about to get spooled when he tightened the drag and busted it off. Markus had already advised the use of 80 to 100 lb class on the sinker or deep jig (flatfall/knife) and was not to pleased to have the first one hooked on the smaller gear.

After getting several YFT we started the search and the crew deployed the kite and balloon rigs. I pretty much knew we would have to work for a fish here and there on both the kites/balloon and a few sonar stops until the evening shot on bigger bluefin on the jigs.

Gary who is both a good fisherman and a lucky fisherman was on the kite when it got exploded on by a 200+ lb Bluefin. I think we got one other kite fish as we worked through the rotation and stopped on sonar marks throughout the day.

At 6;00 pm while still light, we stopped on a sonar spot and I butt-hooked a lively sardine and sent it out like all the other excellent baits. Shortly after sending it out and it swimming down into the abyss, I got bit like I have never been bit on a flylined sardine. You could feel the mass of the fish as it hit. I wound down and came tight to a nice fish but at first it just swam to the boat like it didn't know it was hooked. I was using 50 (or possibly 60) on a Ken's Custom Reels wind-on on an Accurate Dauntless 600 narrow and a Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid PHD 869XH.

Epic is over used, but I really did have the epic battle of my fishing life on this fish for the next two hours. Markus and Matt were by my side the entire battle with this bigger model bluefin. I circumnavigated the boat twice as well as multiple trips up and down the port and starboard rails. The gear was pushed to its absolute limit and I finally had the fish at deep color near the bow in what Matt had designated as the kill-zone. To see this 200+ lb fish make wide circles in the glow of the lights was a sight. I had complete tunnel vision and was oblivious to anything or anyone other than Markus, Matt, and the fish.

At this point many had stopped fishing but Markus inspired everyone to get back the rail as we were covered up with big fish down deep. I did see that Ron got bite on a jig and Markus left me in Matt's capable hands. Then, others got bit also based on the yelling from the stern.

I wish the story ended differently, but the way it actually ended was with a sickening crack of the braid as it finally failed. It was just above the wind-on were it failed, so props to Ken and Jamie for the performance of the wind-on. Did i mention they were both on the trip and we all felt confident we had the fish.

Matt gave me a hug and I was done and headed for the galley to eat my dinner even though we still had fish hanging on mostly flatfalls. As I was eating, there was a flurry of hook-ups and I couldn't stand it anymore so I grabbed my flatfall rig. Winners never quit, and quitters never win. On the third retrieve I got a consolation bluefin of about 80lbs that took less than 10 minutes on the more appropriate Accurate Valiant 800 narrow and Phenix Axis HAX 780 X2H railrod.

In the end we had 20 bigger bluefin with 4 over 200 lbs.

This was a great trip and I got to experience the pure fight of a big bluefin on a flylined sardine.

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic2.jpg

IMG_9941 (1).jpg

IMG_9945.jpg

IMG_9936.jpg

Last edited:

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Nice write-up Zane…
Cool that Matt was on this trip…

Upvote 0

jimm

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 31, 2003
North San Diego County
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
Great fishing with you Zane and what a great trip. We were all bummed when you lost that big fish and so stoked you got some redemption. Just a wonderful long standing charter group made up of good people. Anytime you have Ken and Jamie on the boat, it is special!

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Nice write up and you have a great attitude. Losing a huge fish like that at color then shaking it off and getting another nice one is all drive. It is really is amazing to me seeing all the great fish being caught this year by both the private boaters and by the Sportfishing fleet. What a season.

John

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
Jun 24, 2008
placerville/ca/usa
Name
zane
Boat
Ron Medak sent me this after reading the post. Thought I would share it with everyone.

Plus Adam and Raul with a dandy!

Everyone I asked got their flatfall fish on the retrieve.
Your description of the dramatic hookup on your flylined sardine reminded me immediately of the hookup I had on my jig retrieve with the reel in gear. I immediately knew it was a very big fish and when it came aboard Ben pointed out to me that the fish had swallowed that large flatfall all the way to the stomach. There were about 8 inches of 130# leader protruding from its mouth. Those fish were hungry! Definitely the most dramatic big fish bite I have ever experienced!

IMG_4711.jpeg

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
Jun 24, 2008
placerville/ca/usa
Name
zane
Boat
Nice write up and you have a great attitude. Losing a huge fish like that at color then shaking it off and getting another nice one is all drive. It is really is amazing to me seeing all the great fish being caught this year by both the private boaters and by the Sportfishing fleet. What a season.

John
Thanks John. That night in my bunk, every time I gained consciousness, the first thought was that fish.

Ken pointed out that I got all the fun of fighting the fish with none of the fish processing bill! lol I would have loved to pay that bill from 5-star.

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
Thanks John. That night in my bunk, every time I gained consciousness, the first thought was that fish.

Ken pointed out that I got all the fun of fighting the fish with none of the fish processing bill! lol I would have loved to pay that bill from 5-star.
My buddy lost a huge one on my boat after 4 hours. No help from me. Just him. Clean snap. I think his back was jacked up for several days. It was remarkable to watch. All within eyesight of the coast.

John

Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo

All of that effort and so close to gaff. I lost one early in the season last year that has haunted me in similar fashion. I'm almost over it, lol.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hi Zane, it certainly was a fun trip! Thanks for writing-up the report. The New Lo-An is a great boat and crew. The charter master and cast of characters on board are very entertaining. It is my favorite 1.5 day trip of all! It was awesome to see some friends catch their personal best fish too.

Until next time...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat

You had your share of big fish & mercury......
Now go fix that major typo as my ocd is on overdrive, the braid failed ABOVE your Kens wind-on, not below!!! 😬
BTW great shot of Markus & Ron...

Upvote 0

tunapat

Apr 25, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Patrick McDonough
Boat
Minnow
Im the guy that got nearly spooled and broke off the fish, early on. It was a Talica 16 filled to the brim with 80 lb spectra (about 300 yrds) with a short 80 lb florocarbon leader. So it was a big fish. Too big for the gear, obviously. but usually big enough. There were very big fish taken on the trip!

Reactions: Slater

wifeatuna

Aug 17, 2012
santee
Name
gary
Boat
unknown
Zane thanks for the Write up... "Sorry Bro" you did not get the Big one in. you gave a great try. hope to see you next year. Gary

Reactions: zanegler
zanegler
zanegler
Our 'Sorry Bro' laugh is one of the funniest things from our two trips for sure. Hey, I cut your fish off....sorry bro. hey, I failed to follow my bait and tangled your line again.....sorry bro. hey, I slept with your wife last night....sorry bro, Hey, you lost that huge fish....sorry bro.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

SeaShed

Jun 13, 2005
SoCal
Name
Ken
Boat
29' Scarab Sport
Wow great read. Heartbreaker for sure. Amazing how an 80lb bluefin is a "consolation"... 😆
Sounds like you did everything right just not your turn... yet!!!
Hang in there

Upvote 0

I'm Hooked

Apr 22, 2012
San Diego
Name
Lisa
Boat
Robalo 305 - "Hooked"
Hi Zane, it certainly was a fun trip! Thanks for writing-up the report. The New Lo-An is a great boat and crew. The charter master and cast of characters on board are very entertaining. It is my favorite 1.5 day trip of all! It was awesome to see some friends catch their personal best fish too.

Until next time...

- Jeff Burroughs
I will bet you missed this character on your trip! ;-) Hopefully, I will see you on the NLA in October. I am on Mickelson's trip.