New Lo-An 1.5 day 7-9-18

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by bdubs73, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Jiggermeister

Jiggermeister Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    None
    Thanks for the details in the write up!

2. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Like stairman and Dr. Brody said, using a hose to sprinkle the surface of the water is a trick that was used all of the time back twenty years ago on albacore and yellowfin tuna. I haven't seen it done on a sportfishing boat in at least a decade. It has to be a raindrop-type spray, not a firehose. Maybe that is why it is not used much any more, the washdown hoses throw large volumes of water.

Tunahead and bdubs73 like this.
  3. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Great Trip and Write Up! Those fish are monsters!

I don't want to thread jack, so if you can help out, please PM me! I have a trip set up with the NLA in mid/late Sept! I have never been on a Giant Bluefin trip before, and have never fished this style (party boat/own gear/rental gear) for large fish. Can you or any other guys send me a PM with suggestions/tips on what to expect. Is the rental equipment ok to work with? Do I need to know when to switch from heavier line to lighter line. Circle hook sizes. bait hooking... etc etc. I have a lot of fishing experience, but I definitely don't want to be on deck and just looking around drawing a blank on what to throw out and get smashed by veterans of the boat and being in the way. Thanks! Congrats on your great trip!

bdubs73 likes this.
  4. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great report and NICE FISH Brian. LOL

bdubs73 likes this.
  5. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    keep reading here every time you can....there is a wealth of knowledge being handed out...go 1/2...3/4...or any other trip you can that uses live bait and ask and watch the handling hooking casting and flatlining the baits...
    pay particular attention to choosing a good hard to catch bait...corral it calmly in the hand well...be ready with the other hand to hook the bait before you catch it...know where you are going to cast before you hook the bait...practice hooking dead baits and ask and listen to the deckhands captains and if you can identify them the veteran anglers.

damn there is a book worth a of info in the question you ask...but asking and actually listening is the first step...there are good questions...unanswerable questions and questions goes anglers with years of exp will argue about...but there are no dumb questions asked and anyone that thinks there are probably is afraid to try to answer

bdubs73 likes this.
  6. Smiler1958

Smiler1958 Newbie

Name:
    Marshall Bubel
    Boat:
    Westerly
    Good trip and even better report!

bdubs73 likes this.
  7. REELCLOSE

REELCLOSE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    25' Reinell
    Love it!

bdubs73 likes this.
  8. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Markus will tell you everything you need to know as he is aware of it, you just need to listen and adapt accordingly. When the time comes before you leave the docks he will make you aware if it's going to be a trophy trip or not & you can rent gear once youre aware of that...
    The landing has quality 2 speeds rod / reel combos that can handle the big-ones... $35 a day

bdubs73 likes this.
  9. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Interesting. If it is an effective method out really could help with those BFT when they are being so finicky.

10. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Matt,
    No problem at all. As it has already been stated, reading the posts on here in the Southern Ca. offshore report section will give you a wealth of intel, as well as asking questions. My experience on here has always been positive in that regard.
    Since you are coming down for a short trip I think renting a heavy set up is the wisest choice. They can also tell you what size hooks and leader line to use. Message me anytime you have questions.

PNWMatt2016 likes this.
  11. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    HEY Goose, saw a special on Discovery on the Japanese pole jig boats. Guys
    on racks on both sides, holds and throwers up top, and 2-3 hose men shooting
    spray off the sides and stern. Still used to this day some places like Japan.

bdubs73 and surfgoose like this.
  12. mkfriedrich

mkfriedrich Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    michael friedrich
    Boat:
    Liberty
    Yeah Brian!

bdubs73 likes this.
  13. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback both in PM and on here. I love reading reports and talking to you CALI guys! I have fished for Albacore and big eye/yellowfin on the east coast and in HI, but it was a private charter with just me or a couple guys. But I just want to make sure I rent the right equipment, and if there are some things that I cannot rent, I want to be sure I purchase the right sizes/weights/hooks/ etc etc. I will keep reading and waiting ever so (scratching arm) patiently. Appreciate it! I will probably be messaging some of you come end of August in preparations of my trip!

Best Matt

bdubs73 likes this.