New Knot

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips' started by Normslanding, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    I am posting this knot for your consideration. The goal was to make a knot that would cinch up in big string, be quick to tie, and be strong. I would like to give credit to my old friend and mentor Joe Miller. His knot and his other techniques have been an inspiration to me for almost 50 years.
    Also the knot can be tied with 3 loops through the eye of the hook. This is stronger but the loops tend to cross.
    If you look at Long Range, and Royal Star 12 day post by whoosyourtady some mention of the knot is made.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg inspiration to me for almost 50 years.

2. kallitype

kallitype big liar

Name:
    TER ROTH
    Boat:
    LIvingston 14, Hobie Adventure kayak
    Neat-lookin knot! Tie 20 of them with 10 or 15# mono and pull against good scale until the line breaks, record weight at breaking and whether the line breaks at the knot or the running part of the line. Be sure to spit lube the knot, as it will be tough to tighten smoothly with the doubling thru the eye.

for some knot tests on low-test mono (10#), see here:

Knot Strength, part 2

3. kokanee

kokanee Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Thanks for the tutorial pictures Dave. I'm going to learn it now.
    Joe Tyler

4. BigfishGreg

BigfishGreg Newbie

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    none
    A modified bowline?

5. etwizard

etwizard Member

Name:
    solomon
    Boat:
    Free 4 All
    Pretty good looking and fast. Thanks for the pics. Any tests?

6. Normslanding

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    I have done extensive testing. The "Spangler" knot tests up there with the DBL SD Jamb, and Miller knots. The advantage is it is very easy to tie in any size line, it is fast, and small. Ties great in large Fluro. I am hoping to be at the Fred Hall show. I hope to pull it against whatever.
    This is not a Bowline. A Bowline by nature is a loop.
    That statement will probablly cloud the picture. Try you favorite knot on one end of a piece of line with this knot on the other, see if it holds up. Then see if whatever you tie ties as well in big string, or little.

HAVE FUN.

7. Toro-X

Toro-X Independence 100 lb club

Name:
    Bobby
    Boat:
    none
    Dave,

Thanks for sharing. How doe this knot compare to the Miller knot. Is it stronger or about the same. I tried tying it and it has a very small profile like the Miller knot.

What is the highest # test line that you were able to tie with this knot? Thanks again.

8. OFN

OFN COB

Name:
    Nat
    Boat:
    Striper 2150, Indie
    Interesting knot. Have you tested for breaking strength percentage? I would be interested in hearing any results. Looks really quick and easy to tie.

9. Normslanding

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    My test results show 2% increase over the Miller, and an additional 2% if you have three turns through the eye. Strength is only one factor, simplicity, stelf, speed in tying, ability to be tied in any line, as well as real world application are all important.
    I talked to Joe Miller, sent him samples, he likes it.
    On our recent 12 day trip around 100 tuna were landed on the knot, with no failures. The largest was 180lbs.
    The top 3 or 4 knots are all strong. They approach the actual line breaking strength. For mono that is all you need. When you have all of your connections 100% of the actual strength, and are using Spectra is not the same. The Spectra is the weak link. Would you rather loose $50 of Spectra or a hook?
    Again test it against what you use, including crimping. then consider all the above factors.
    I will continue additional testing when I get near more sophistcated equipment.

10. OFN

OFN COB

Name:
    Nat
    Boat:
    Striper 2150, Indie
    Very nice. I will have to practice this knot till I get it down pat and try it on my next trip :). Strong and easy to tie whats not to like. Thanks for sharing this, and looking forward to any updates in the future.

11. Normslanding

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    Oh, forgot to reply to how big of line. How about 400 lb. The knot will cinch up in heavy mono, or floro. It will not kink or burn line.

12. spdjunke

spdjunke Newbie

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    N/A
    This knot works well, I have been using it for around 8 years or so. I started messing with it one day when trout fishing ( worked well on 2 lb test and I could tie it when hands were cold and it was dark) and my hands and eyes were just too cold and tired to tie something more traditional so I tied what I called the "ghetto knot".

13. whosyourtaddy

whosyourtaddy Newbie

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    24 Skipjack MarbarIII
    Thanks for the input SPDJunkie, however the knot was first introduced to the Long Ranger Fishing Industry on the Royal Star 12 with the "Dogs" it should be known from this date foward as "THE SPANGLER KNOT". Thanks for the input.

14. IRONoMAN

IRONoMAN IRONoMAN

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Rigger Check
    Is there anyway we can get video instuction, like on youtube?

15. Normslanding

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    I am working on it. Also Jeff Burroughs is in the process of illustrating it for his new book.

16. spdjunke

spdjunke Newbie

Name:
    Me
    Boat:
    N/A
    No problem Whosyourtaddy, I just wanted to say that I had used the knot for awhile and that I liked it. It was actually just something I tied up one day and lo and behold it actually worked.

Its a great knot which is easy to tie even under not so great conditions, pretty compact and strong. It would be nice to see it catch on thats for sure. I will be looking at the rail next time to see someone tying the Spangler knot

17. Premier Fire

Premier Fire Newbie

Name:
    Greg Cox
    Boat:
    None
    I have fished with Dave Spangler for a number of years now, and this guy KNOWS his knots. I was with him on the Royal Star for the 12 day trip and I used this know for the entire trip with no failures. I even tied this knot on 135# fluorocarbon with no problem. This knot is very simple to tie and incredible strong. Great Job Dave on this knot.

18. bigreddog

bigreddog Just The Facts

Name:
    Cliff J
    Boat:
    Long Range
    Thanks for a great post. I could care less what it is called as long as it works.
    Your statement concerning having a weaker link than the spectra is right on. The knot only needs to be strong enough, and be a little weaker than the parts of your rigging that you don't want to lose in case you hook a shark, your tuna dies and gets hung up on the bottom, etc.
    Now I am off to the garage to test this knot.

19. bigreddog

bigreddog Just The Facts

Name:
    Cliff J
    Boat:
    Long Range
    How did the RS crew like this knot?

20. Normslanding

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    The only crew that saw the knot were the galley crew, they liked it. I did not show it to Randy, or Brett. They crimp for passengers. I do not think they would like to explain to someone they were experimenting with a knot on their fish of a lifetime. Some of the regulars will probably show them on their next trip.