New Kayak Hooper

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by learning2fish, Oct 15, 2008.

1. learning2fish

learning2fish Newbie

Name:
    Aaron Sutherland
    Boat:
    Aaron Sutherland
    Hey guys,

I got sick of hooping off of OB pier, so I bought a kayak and need some pointers. Is there a decent spot in mission bay for me to get my "feet wet" that wont have a ton of traffic? I went out for an hour or so off of el carmel point (I can walk my kayak there) just to try it out and got some sort of ray and that was it. I had a headlamp on the whole time... do I need any other lighting for safety? Also I put glow sticks onto my floats, but it didn't really do much good. Is there a technique to make those more visible? The other question I came across was what to do with the excess line? I let down the nets until they hit bottom and tried to tie the excess coil to the float, but it seems like there is probably a better way to deal with it.

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. Yacker Andrew

Yacker Andrew Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, Malibu Extreme,
    Go to OEX and purchase a book written by a local - Jimmie Salazar. He hoops off both Kayak and boat. This book is very good, and will basically cover it all. Jimmie also holds seminars of which I attended which is very informative. don't know if he is doing any more, you can probably find out through OEX. Go to WWW.Sabaslayer.com for more info on him as well. He also does guides.

3. Wally40Hands

Wally40Hands So Cal Drinkers N Sinkers

Name:
    Walter
    Boat:
    Sold
    i think 9/25 baja fish gear in lomita was his last one but like andrew said jimmie is the man! check out (Kayak Sportfishing Kayak Fishing Resource) lots of good info on that site. i have been hooping off of san clemente pier for a few years now. boat and/ or kayak is where its at man. pier is a hit or miss but its always fun to get out and try our luck!

4. pokerface12

pokerface12 Newbie

Name:
    Johnny
    Boat:
    n/a
    The more lighting the better, since you're so low in the water it makes it really difficult for boaters to see you from a distance. Make sure you get a stern light that is visible from all angles, similar to what is required for a boat to run at night. They have small battery operated ones which you can mount to a small pvc pipe and place in your rod holder, making it more visible at a higher level.

5. masta

masta MR. MAST DONT F*CK AROUND

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Malibu Pro Explorer
    Lights are a must. I use a lantern on a broom stick,LOL. No joke its plenty bright. For the glow stick zip tie a clear plastic soda or water bottle to the top float and of course take the label off. Go to home depot and get one of those extension courd hand winders. Its a handy tool to have, you set your hoops to the exact depth. Also when you drop them and they hit bottom make sure to give some scope or slack, if theres stronge wind or current, or if you drop deep (20 + FT) give a couple feet slack or so. You will figure it out bro, have fun.

6. umoa

umoa silent

Name:
    jimmy
    Boat:
    18' starcraft "big knockers"
    How do you use the winders? I use them for my 200' anchor, but i keep the winders in the boat. Do you drop the winders over?

7. masta

masta MR. MAST DONT F*CK AROUND

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Malibu Pro Explorer
    For hoopin I use the plastic winders that are about "1 1/2 long and slender and both ends have "H" shapes on them with one little cleat on each side aswell, thats it. I hope I descibed them accordingly. So I tie off my top float to the winder and wind on the line, drop hoop down to bottom, give scope, tie off on cleat and throw it over. The winder is actually attached to the line on the hoops top float along with plastic bottle containing glow stick. I dont know about anchors?

8. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Invest in a FF so you can find bottom structure. Try to drop just off of the structure (1 to 3 feet) where you have a flat bottom. If you bring up eels up, your too close to the structure. Also don't be fooled by the depth of the water. They can be shallow just as easy as deeper. Get to a point were you have at least 4 nets. This will ensure that you get a good soak before pulling (20 to 30 minutes). Be directly above the net. Be fast & smooth on your upward pull. Make sure you refresh (very packed) your bait when needed. If you begin catching in a basic area move other nets to that basic area.

What was said earlier about Jim Salazar is absolutely correct. If you can take a hooping class with him on the water you will eliminate a huge learning curve and be 10 times more successful faster.

Have fun and realize the crawl could vary just like the tide. Patients young man, patients.