Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
Hello everyone

I will be moving to Oahu in April and need some advice. I am thinking about shipping a boat there. I currently own a 19’ dual console but I am going to sell it an upgrade to something a little bigger. I am looking at 21’ Center Consoles and walk arounds. Most of the time I will be fishing with my 5 year old son but every once in a while my wife and daughter will join us. We are looking to catch Tuna and Mahi-mahi

My questions are:

Will the boat be big enough for the waters of Hawaii?

What would be a better choice a Center Console or Walk around with a small inside?

Would it be better to ship a boat there or buy one there? I searched the internet and there didn’t seem to be a lot of small boats for sale there. The boats that I have found are very expensive.

Thanks in advance for your

Reactions: Caseymcv

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I would go for something w/ a cabin / enclosure - open boats get really wet here especially in that size range

size is not as big a deal as design - I fished on a 16' arima w/ twin 30s and it was fine

good luck w/ your search and tight lines,

Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
Thanks for the advice!
Is it always windy there?
I was looking at Center Consoles but now I am looking at something with a small enclosure.

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Here's a link to a website showing used boat listings here in Hawaii:

Here's a link to a website showing winds around the islands:

Typically trade winds are from the northeast and the seas are calmer on the leeward side of the island. Even slight variations in speed and direction can change the seas offshore.

I also recommend a boat with a small cab or enclosure.

Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Big sarge

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I was considering making a move to the islands not to long ago, and started poking around for info similar to you.

What I come to find is that the wind can pick up pretty good out there, even on the leeward sides of the islands. A boat with a cabin (especially for the family) would be ideal.
Also, I would look at buying a boat here on the mainland and shipping it over. There’s a lot of guys from the islands looking here for boats because there just isn’t much. People there don’t part with their boats often, and usually when they do they are in need of a serious restoration. Those that don’t need any or much work go for a very high price, and evens out the cost of shipping. The nice part is if you decide to sell it, it probably won’t stay on the market long.

Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
Thanks for the information. The wind app is pretty cool. The boat magazine has a few boats that look reasonable but I am thinking about bringing a boat with me.

Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
I was considering making a move to the islands not to long ago, and started poking around for info similar to you.

What I come to find is that the wind can pick up pretty good out there, even on the leeward sides of the islands. A boat with a cabin (especially for the family) would be ideal.
Also, I would look at buying a boat here on the mainland and shipping it over. There’s a lot of guys from the islands looking here for boats because there just isn’t much. People there don’t part with their boats often, and usually when they do they are in need of a serious restoration. Those that don’t need any or much work go for a very high price, and evens out the cost of shipping. The nice part is if you decide to sell it, it probably won’t stay on the market long.
Thanks for the advise. After doing some research I have come to the same conclusion. I have seen decent boats for sale but they are expensive. The boats that are reasonably need a lot of work. I think I will pay for a boat to be shipped. I know shipping will be expensive but in the long run it is probably the best option. Thanks again!

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Shipping will depend on the size of the boat, but I found most cost between 5-8k. Shop around as well, not all prices are set in stone.

Holoholo808

Feed fish/burn gas and occasionally catch dinner
Apr 26, 2016
Honolulu
Name
Jason
Boat
Shipping will depend on total footprint of the boat on the trailer. For a 20 foot boat with the motor(s) tilted up you're looking at around 26-28 feet total length. Shipping from Long Beach will run between $6-7k. Pretty much the same from anywhere else on the West Coast.

If the trailer is in medicore shape get a new one on the mainland. They're a bit cheaper up there as well due to economies of scale/shipping. Go with aluminum. A lot of boats here have strataglass/isinglass enclosures to block the spray. If the boat doesn't have them yet you can get them done on island ($1-3k+) as the local guys here build them differently to block the spray and still allow for venting. Also take into consideration the brand of engine the boat will have as different islands have more support for certain brands; there are a lot of guys on this forum that can direct you to mechanics.

Konamike

Aug 23, 2019
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
29 Blackman
For shipping I’d recommend using PASHA. Your boat travels inside their vessel and is not subject to the elements during the crossing. Better pricing than Matson imo. I shipped my boat from San Diego to Kona a few years back with PASHA and everything went very smoothly. Takes about a week from the West Coast to Hawaii. Don’t wait till the last minute to arrange your transport though as they usually book out two-three months in advance. Good luck with everything!

triton91

Jul 11, 2006
Kaaawa
Name
John
Boat
23' Outrage
I relocated to the Islands a few years ago and I should of shipped my 26 Cabo out here. Approximate cost on the trailer was 8k, about 29 feet tip of trailer to out drive in down position. Shipping out of Long Beach thru PASHA they have the best set up. Drive rig onto the ship they move it from there with a forklift, or if shipping the tow vehicle too they said they could go as a unit, but of course more costs. I did find a 23 Whaler here, got lucky not in too bad of shape but took a lot of work to get her in Canoe chase shape and off shore fishing shape. The inventory here is not like the mainland so if you are looking for a boat, I would buy one there and ship it. yes, your resale will be better here. Also, keep in mind good certified mechanics are hard to find here. I have restored many boats and do all the work myself so keep that in mind.

Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
Thanks for all the advise. I have a quote for shipping my Truck with the boat for $8,000 from Long Beach to Honolulu with Trans Global. I will get a quote from PASHA. I am currently living in Virginia. I will have to drive the Truck towing the boat from Virginia to California. I can not afford to have them ship from Virginia to Hawaii. I putting all the planning together now.

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
to put the Island prices in perspective I am looking at shipping a 25' boat from the Big Island to Oahu and on the trailer it is $3,500 (Young Bros)! It does not have a tower but it does have a hard top

too bad the local businesses stick it to the locals in so many ways re shipping - that trip is literally less than 200 miles

tight lines,

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
to give another indication of certain local businesses pricing way above reason, 91 octane gas at Costco on Oahu is regularly $0.75/gallon cheaper than at any gas station

only state where gas is more expensive is Taxifornia

Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
to give another indication of certain local businesses pricing way above reason, 91 octane gas at Costco on Oahu is regularly $0.75/gallon cheaper than at any gas station

only state where gas is more expensive is Taxifornia
I see. I have been checking gas and Diesel prices. Looks like a gallon of gas is around $4 and Diesel is $5. Right now in Virginia gas is under $2 a gallon and Diesel is $2.60.. it’s going to be a shock for me when I gotta fill up there.

triton91

Jul 11, 2006
Kaaawa
Name
John
Boat
23' Outrage
If you run a gas boat here, ethanol free only, I get it for 3.85 a gal right now. truck is diesel and it is 3.80 where I fill up. You can find ethanol free here at some stations.

Big sarge

Dec 12, 2019
United States
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sea nymph fish&Ski
If you run a gas boat here, ethanol free only, I get it for 3.85 a gal right now. truck is diesel and it is 3.80 where I fill up. You can find ethanol free here at some stations.
Thanks for the information. Not too bad. I was expecting worse I guess. I can’t wait to get there.

untensan

Jan 30, 2010
Kealakekua
Name
Terry
Boat
21' Seacat CC
to put the Island prices in perspective I am looking at shipping a 25' boat from the Big Island to Oahu and on the trailer it is $3,500 (Young Bros)! It does not have a tower but it does have a hard top

too bad the local businesses stick it to the locals in so many ways re shipping - that trip is literally less than 200 miles

tight lines,
A few years ago I was considering relocating my boat to Oahu. I thought about ordering a new trailer in Oahu and junking the one in Kona. The key is to get a good day in the Alenuihaha Channel between Hawaii Island and Maui. We used to fish the old OTEC buoy, about half way to Maui, back in the day with a 25' Radon. If you're thinking about replacing your trailer in the near future...

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
thanks for the info - I have driven 2 32' boats from Kona to Oahu over the years due to friends' purchases both with good condition twin inboard diesels - I would consider it on this 25' however, it has 20+ year old outboard engines and would want to get to know it better before attempting a crossing

tight lines,