G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Well as some of you may remember Myself and a partner purchased a large boat last year.... 53’ Hatteras. It was in TX when we purchased it and last summer.

I took several weeks off and we moved the boat around the Gulf, down through the Caribbean to Panama and loaded it on a cargo ship to Ensenada. Since last August we spent some time dealing with a few needed repairs, and ended up rebuilding the starboard engine....

We finally felt things were in order to move it to PV, so we can fish great waters nearly year around. June 4th I flew to San Diego and we hopped a shuttle into Ensenada, gathered a few provisions, made a few last repairs and away we went with one deckhand.

The trip started June 8th and went mostly smooth, we blew a steering hose at 2:30 am second day, so I had to limp into Turtle Bay, spend the night and get a repaired hose the next day and back on our way.... stopped in Cabo for fuel and back on our way...

We arrived In PV June 13th and settled in... Ladies arrived the next day.... We are now settled and have everything dialed in pretty well and should be able to fish our asses off!!

I am not going to charter the boat, but I will be looking to take a few “friends” who wish to spend a bit of bank for some epic trips.... I will do a very few limited multi day trips. Probably 4-5 guys max. We will fish where the fish are and target what we want... I have an established relationship with one of the premier fishing captains in PV area. Our plan is to provide a captain, 2 deckhands, and lots of local experience. He will be bringing food for nice meals. You can bring your favorite gear, bring some hooks, buy your own beer or cocktails.....

The best trips if you want large tuna will be three or four days to Tres Maria’s. Some of you have fished this on the charter offered by Mikey Da Guy....

I have been fishing with Manny (El Matador) for many years, he has made his way as one of the premier boats in PV, his main boat is a 35’ Cabo, he is also private Captain on a 55’ Viking, and is willing to do a few trips with me.

Great opportunity to fish epic grounds... I will be looking to offset some of my upkeep costs on my boat.

If you’re interested Figure out how many guys you have, what time period and hit me up we can talk...

3F761DD1-4C41-4EEB-BA22-D7D8FBCA5E84.jpeg
    F94B6508-4A2D-4141-85E9-007F17A9F448.jpeg
    A73DAD53-BEE4-4071-B4A6-1805305AC435.jpeg
    C68DB944-55A7-4106-84C0-D7494AF9B171.jpeg
    9D9321AA-A039-4E26-B59A-C35236878A24.jpeg
    37C6B765-E327-4C55-8076-E8526FE966F1.jpeg
    26F72C50-AAD2-4A39-8641-2DF392717475.jpeg
    171E4813-2F40-48E0-8762-86D94D0EDD41.jpeg
    6F7F2019-E5D0-41E3-BD0B-86AACAFAB33C.jpeg
    279621FD-978F-48F8-82B0-69A7694502F9.jpeg
    3F761DD1-4C41-4EEB-BA22-D7D8FBCA5E84.jpeg
    F94B6508-4A2D-4141-85E9-007F17A9F448.jpeg
    A73DAD53-BEE4-4071-B4A6-1805305AC435.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
    Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Very Nice!

I am curious, how much fish can be shipped home, is there a limit like some places have?

WD

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Very Nice!

I am curious, how much fish can be shipped home, is there a limit like some places have?

WD

no limit.... just how much you want to pay.... We actually have a vac packer on the boat although you may need to bring some bags if you’re optimistic..... I arrived home last night with a cooler bag full of Ahi.... We vac pack, freeze it solid and the pack it in a cooler bag and check as luggage..... $40 per bag on Alaska, can’t be over 50 lbs or overweight charge....

We flew a bag home last year, and one yesterday... a cheap cooler bag from Costco works nice.... Fresh Ahi is $25-$30 per pound, so definitely a value if you ship home 50 or 100 lbs....

Reactions: WaveDancer
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    This type of fishing can be long boring days.... Then all of the sudden epic.... Not near the excitement and action as albacore, but if you want to catch a Giant yellowfin, this is the way.... the less anglers the better your odds.... a boat with 4-5 guys fishing bait and a kit rig and maybe a balloon is a much better chance than a boat with 10-12 guys.... competing for the same opportunity..... Those of you who have done these trips understand not everybody will get the big one..... but a small group of friends is pretty great....

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Give us more. 👍👍👍👍

What more can I give you... 🤔

Boat has two heads, two state rooms, forward stateroom has bunk above double bed, two sofas, and the dinette could be a bed.... plus a couple mattresses can throw on the Salon floor..... no water maker, so we use sparingly, but a quick shower is an option.....

Mid state room is large bed, so you can cuddle with Pat or Marlin Mike... 😀

The boat handles like a dream weighing in around 70k lbs..... current bait tank holds about 80 baits, but a lot of times they make bait at the island... squid, trumpet fish, flyers, whatever......

If your goal is. It long boating days at the islands, el Banco, Corbentainia, for large yellowfin, then we target a time period when there are better odds for good Bill fish....

Oct, Nov, Dec pretty good..... Jan, Feb, March seem to be good at the islands....

We will likely remove the fighting chair and add a 100 gallon bait tank.... another adventure driving it down! 😀

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    John -- very exciting. Your boat looks great. I am impressed that you managed to arrange insurance (I suppose you could be self insured) during hurricane season. How tough was it to get your hurricane plan approved? I just gave up until after hurricane season.
    Good luck, Rick

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    John -- very exciting. Your boat looks great. I am impressed that you managed to arrange insurance (I suppose you could be self insured) during hurricane season. How tough was it to get your hurricane plan approved? I just gave up until after hurricane season.
    Good luck, Rick

well.... technically we are not covered below the hurricane line during hurricane season.... we are indeed rolling the dice like many guys do.... we are insured with Novamar, so I assume we are covered for other issues like any policy, but if we get stuck in a hurricane and sustain major damage we’re screwed.....

Hurricane plan is cumbersome and not likely to ever get approved affordable, so we run the risk.... The plan is to watch the weather and haul ass down and move the boat as needed... We are paying Manny and his guys to care for the boat regularly, they will wash couple times a week, start engine every two weeks, etc.... He’s a solid dude, so good peace of mind! During heavy rains they check it a couple times a day... he has his boat, the Viking and ours to look after, so they are down there regularly...

His Brother Charlie was our deckhand last week and he was great! Another added bonus is his ability to communicate very well. Both Charlie and Manny speak good English which helps us gringos...

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    What type of doe ray me are we talking

Well..... number of days and target species and number of guys will determine that....

It won’t be for the faint of heart and guys looking for a cheap trip.. 😀. 4-5 guys, 3-4 nights 5 -6 days.... depends on flights and all that....

If you are seriously interested hit me on PM.... it will cost as much or more as a cattle boat......

A 2-3 day trip on the larger boats cost $2500.00 per person roughly...... if that gives you an idea of what that costs.... and doesn’t scare you away... then let’s talk....

A premium day boat is $1,200-$1500 a day, a long range super panga is $1,100 per day.....Last year on the Marla II a 36 (overnight) hour trip on a 36’ boat cost us $4,000.00........

Quality fishing will not be for fuel cost and a high five...😀. I will pay Manny and crew well, and I will offset some of my upkeep...

Last edited:
    Reactions: dragonballs
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    It won’t be for the faint of heart and guys looking for a cheap trip.. 😀.

If you are seriously interested hit me on PM.... it will cost as much or more as a cattle boat......

A 2-3 day trip on the larger boats cost $2500.00 per person roughly...... if that gives you an idea of what that costs.... and doesn’t scare you away... then let’s talk....

Quality fishing will not be for fuel cost and a high five...😀. I will pay Manny and crew well, and I will offset some of my upkeep...

From my first hand experience, running a big boat and keeping all the amenities and fishing stuff working is tremendously expensive. I do believe that, especially before a boat and its crew become well established, at best the operation will defray some of the fixed costs of ownership. If you are running the boat yourself, you have purchased a low paying job. If you have good hired crew, there is no way to actually turn a profit. So, if you can afford to pay the price, go and enjoy the fact that you are saving a ton of money as compared to ownership, and don't worry that someone is getting rich off the deal. Won't happen, IMO.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    From my first hand experience, running a big boat and keeping all the amenities and fishing stuff working is tremendously expensive. I do believe that, especially before a boat and its crew become well established, at best the operation will defray some of the fixed costs of ownership. If you are running the boat yourself, you have purchased a low paying job. If you have good hired crew, there is no way to actually turn a profit. So, if you can afford to pay the price, go and enjoy the fact that you are saving a ton of money as compared to ownership, and don't worry that someone is getting rich off the deal. Won't happen, IMO.

Thanks! Very true! We will not be running the boat ourselves as Manny and his guys have the local knowledge.... he is also not inexpensive... his rates are close to US rates, but he is good and I don’t want someone to come down for a shit crew.....

We will definitely not turn a profit or even close.... without investment, we are hoping to just pay a little moorage..... we will not be doing very many trips.... we want to preserve the boat for ourselves....

Reactions: FishPimpII
    Upvote 0

t_dub

I remember when I used to fish.............
    Jan 3, 2010
    Kenmore
    Name
    Ty
    Boat
    20' Hewescraft Searunner
    That boat is beautiful. Love the hull color and that tuna tower is more of a skyscraper. Must be a fun ride up there in some chop.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 conquest... needs a name
    Thanks! Very true! We will not be running the boat ourselves as Manny and his guys have the local knowledge.... he is also not inexpensive... his rates are close to US rates, but he is good and I don’t want someone to come down for a shit crew.....

We will definitely not turn a profit or even close.... without investment, we are hoping to just pay a little moorage..... we will not be doing very many trips.... we want to preserve the boat for ourselves....

Sounds pretty awesome. My family comes down every year and I do the premium “day panga” thing with Danny Gomez...
    Doing a multi day big yellowfin trip with a couple buddies @Team Sency
    @Cwillis is on the list for the near future.
    With a boat this size/comfort we might even convince the wives to join the trip!

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Sounds pretty awesome. My family comes down every year and I do the premium “day panga” thing with Danny Gomez...
    Doing a multi day big yellowfin trip with a couple buddies @Team Sency
    @Cwillis is on the list for the near future.
    With a boat this size/comfort we might even convince the wives to join the trip!

The AC units cranking and Salon is comfortable, ladies will likely approve.... Our wives dig it!

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Very cool. I totally get what you’re looking to do. Might be good for all involved.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Very cool. I totally get what you’re looking to do. Might be good for all involved.

At this point just planning to have some fun!!

I am even considering taking my Rampage down there and having Manny add it to his fleet... Make some money off of it to help offset the big boat cost.... I would need to add a small tower and move the controls up, but it’s a consideration....

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    That boat looks incredibly badass Gspot

Thanks! We were pretty stoked with it too! .... it was an old Marlin tournament boat in Florida originally..... They took the 12V71’s and pumped them up twin turbos and giant 92 series injectors to create 950 HP per...... we will not being running it like that and burning copious fuel! Not to mention they don’t hold up long when pushed that hard.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sgwill122
    Upvote 0

LeeMajors

May 20, 2014
    Washington
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    40' Tiara 35 Open
    For anyone curious, bringing fish home is super easy.
    Bring coolers with you and have them stored in your hotel freezer with the lids open.
    We brought home a wheeled yeti cooler as checked baggage and each carried a soft yeti cooler as our carry on (highly recommend backpack style, over the shoulder is painful with 30+ pounds of fish in it!). Fish was still frozen when I unloaded it to the freezer when we got home.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    For anyone curious, bringing fish home is super easy.
    Bring coolers with you and have them stored in your hotel freezer with the lids open.
    We brought home a wheeled yeti cooler as checked baggage and each carried a soft yeti cooler as our carry on (highly recommend backpack style, over the shoulder is painful with 30+ pounds of fish in it!). Fish was still frozen when I unloaded it to the freezer when we got home.

It may depend on the airlines or how picky they are being.... Our last trip (last April) we had a carry soft cooler and when we got to the X-ray, they kicked us back and wouldn’t let us carry on.... we didn’t want to check the smaller bag, so we ran over and gave it to a couple of workers at the airport.... they were pretty happy!

Upvote 0

LeeMajors

May 20, 2014
    Washington
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    40' Tiara 35 Open
    It may depend on the airlines or how picky they are being.... Our last trip (last April) we had a carry soft cooler and when we got to the X-ray, they kicked us back and wouldn’t let us carry on.... we didn’t want to check the smaller bag, so we ran over and gave it to a couple of workers at the airport.... they were pretty happy!

Was it frozen? Has to be frozen and cannot have liquid or ice. You can have a small amount of dry ice in checked bag if I remember correctly.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Was it frozen? Has to be frozen and cannot have liquid or ice. You can have a small amount of dry ice in checked bag if I remember correctly.

frozen hard as a rock, nothing else in the bag... they said no... that was from PV on Alaska...

Upvote 0