New fathom 400 lphs Synchronized Drag and Level Wind system

Macky

Sep 14, 2009
Brea
Name
Macky
Boat
N/A
Can someone define what " Synchronized Drag and Level Wind system means on this new low profile reel?

Is it similar to the Non disengaged levelwinds on komodo reels?

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Can someone define what " Synchronized Drag and Level Wind system means on this new low profile reel?

Is it similar to the Non disengaged levelwinds on komodo reels?

This applies to the 400 size only.
When a fish is taking drag, the levelwind moves, so that you do not end up with a situation where the line is making a sharp angle trying to go out with the levelwind way over on the other side of the spool under heavy drag.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Macky

Sep 14, 2009
Brea
Name
Macky
Boat
N/A
Thought that all levelwinds were like that. The level wind moves after put in gear?

Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
Thought that all levelwinds were like that. The level wind moves after put in gear?
Yes. But not out of gear. Out of gear the reel’s level wind remains in the same spot. If the reel is in gear and a fish is taking drag the levelwind will move as line is peeling out.
I apologize if it sounds belittling, just trying to simply the process.

Upvote 0

PENN

Service Team
Advertiser
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia, PA, USA
www.pennfishing.com
Name
PENN
Boat
PENN
Macky - most levelwinds are driven off of the gears/handle turning only, which then does not move when casting or when drag is being pulled. The 400 levelwind will move in either direction any time the spool is rotating except when disengaged to cast. The purpose is exactly what Steve posted earlier.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Ok, I think I got it, but let me put it in more detail:
1. When you go to cast your lure, the spool is disengaged (free spool), but the level wind remains in the same position. This means that the line coming off the spool will not come straight out, but have to make a, sometimes, steep angle. Especially when the line is close to, or at the sides of the spool.

2. At the end of the case, you engage the reel and start to crank. At this point, the line on the spool does not necessarily line up with the level wind, but eventually will as you start to crank the lure in, because the spool and level wind are now in motion.

3. When a fish is caught, the level wind in still engaged as the line is coming off the spool, which means the level wind and line on the spool are in sync, until you reach the point on the spool where your last cast ended. At that point on the spool, the line and level wind are not in sync.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

Latest posts