New Calcutta Conquest 400 - What can they do?

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I posted this on the Shimano board as well. Hoping to get some feedback.

The new calcutta conquests have got to be one of the smoothest and best looking reels ever made.
That being said, I want to know if I would have any use for this reel. I don't fish bass very often, so for it to be worth the money, I would need to be able to use the 400 for light offshore applications such as kelp paddy dorado, yellows and schoolie size yellowfintuna. (If it only had a clicker like the previous models, I would love to use it for seabass as well.)
Unfortunately, I have already read some reviews that the reel has not held up well when catching fish such as a 15 pound jack crevalle. Specifically, guys complain about the micro gearing not being able to handle the stress of repeated runs from a modest sized fish (i.e. the small gearing wearing down pretty fast).
I am really hoping someone else can chime in with a different experience. What can the new Conquest 400 really handle? Can it be more than just a bass reel?

Reactions: 7raptor
Upvote 0

7raptor

happy to be here
Sep 18, 2004
The Islands
Name
yup
Boat
A Big One
Daiwa has made a reel called the Luna for 10 years. Check that one out if your heart is set on a round reel. IMHO, I got rid of all my round reels for NaCLs and Lexas. Prefer the NaCLs, especially on a nice tuna. Lexa casts further.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I agree with the above, round reels are kind of obsolete when you look at the new low pros. Get a few Lexa 400HD's instead of a single Conquest and you will fall in love. Effortless casting and awesome for bait fishing.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I have the NaCls, the Lunas, and a tranx.

Guess I will have to test out the conquest myself to see what it can do.

So smooth, so pretty......lol

Reactions: johndtuttle
Upvote 0

OCEAN theRAPIST

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 9, 2012
san diego/kali/us
Name
randy
Boat
ocean therapist
some people fish there gear a lot harder then others. i still have my original 400 and 400b that are at least 12 years old. i fish every thing with them. this year i got a 42# bluefin and 90# bsb on my 400b with no issues. i have had to replace my clutch bearing in them but that seems normal. im waiting to try the new calcutta as well. i dont touch diawa reels i had a few just go to crap with in a year

Upvote 0