New Calcutta Conquest 400 - More Than Just a Bass Reel?

Discussion in 'Shimano Fishing Gear' started by flyliner, Dec 23, 2015.

1. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    The new calcutta conquests have got to be one of the smoothest and best looking reels ever made.

That being said, I want to know if I would have any use for this reel. I don't fish bass very often, so for it to be worth the money, I would need to be able to use the 400 for light offshore applications such as kelp paddy dorado, yellows and schoolie size yellowfintuna. (If it only had a clicker like the previous models, I would love to use it for seabass as well.)

Unfortunately, I have already read some reviews that the reel has not held up well when catching fish such as a 15 pound jack crevalle. Specifically, guys complain about the micro gearing not being able to handle the stress of repeated runs from a modest sized fish (i.e. the small gearing wearing down pretty fast).

I am really hoping someone else can chime in with a different experience. What can the new Conquest 400 really handle? Can it be more than just a bass reel?

Shimano Fishing Fans likes this.
  2. Shimano Fishing Fans

Shimano Fishing Fans Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    None
    I have the Conquest 400, paired with a 9' MH Teramar. I literally use it for exactly what you described (smaller tuna, light offshore, etc.) My only knock on it is the handle. I changed it out with my Torium 14 handle, which made the conquest a "power handle"; that was a huge difference. I fish it exclusively with Coltsnipers and Flat-Falls and I take it on 1/2 trips on the New Del Mar, to overnight trips on the Freedom. The only other thing I would change is increase the line retrieve. My TranX does a better job of picking up the slack when I fish jigs, but a faster retrieve would mean less power. In summary, it's perfect for the application you mentioned.

Mike
    [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/shimanofishingfan

3. BlueSashimi

BlueSashimi Member

Name:
    D
    Boat:
    C
    I have this reel and I love it, the only complaint is the handle is so damn short and I plan on doing some handle upgrade on it during this off season. I was catching #15-25 lingcod with this reel and it works just fine. It has micro gearing like you stated so you can't use power winch the fish up. You gotta use the action of the road, the rocking motion of the boat to bring in that fish. If you just put your rod on the rail and start power winching in that #15 fish jack crevelle that reel will start to have problems. That said, its one of the smoothest reels I have ever used.

If anything, I wish they offered this reel in a bigger size. Even the 400 size I got I feel is a bit on the small side. The frame on this thing feels SOLID and I feel that it could hold more than the #15 of drag that it comes with. Would love a Calcutta Conquest 700 in lefty with #25 of drag.

4. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well, this not the Conquest 400 but the Calcutta 400TE which for some its also considered a bass reel.

this fish is not montster fish by any means, but I can catch sierras, curvinas and anything you can catch on sea of cortez (GOnzaga bay) all day and nothing but smiles with the reel.
    its been upgraded to carbontex, and the trini12 handle

paired the reel with a trevala XXH and you will have an awesome combo
    [​IMG]

Shimano Fishing Fans likes this.
  5. Shimano Fishing Fans

Shimano Fishing Fans Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    None
    I totally agree! I catch Tuna on it! I did the same as you, added the power handle (didn't upgrade the drag). I use it when my TranX has a heavier jig tied on and I want to downsize .