New Boat

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by rk52, May 22, 2014.

1. rk52

rk52 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Allied P23 Warhawk
    Thinking real hard at pulling the trigger on a Hews Craft Ocean Pro 22 with soft top. Any experience and or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2014 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 22' canvas top with extended transom
    Yamaha F200LB (2.8L 4 cylinder)
    Yamaha T 9.9 High thrust kicker with power tilt/elec start
    Garmin 741XS GPS/FF (touchscreen)
    ICOM VHF radio
    Panther motor link steering system for kicker
    Deluxe tall 3 bow canvas with side and drop curtains
    Downrigger brackets
    Additional fuel line pick up for kicker motor
    Yamaha single binnacle mount at helm
    Yamaha multi function gauge
    (2) Ride adjustable medium duty suspension seats...(your wife will love them !)
    37" bench seats aft
    Sharkhide oxidation fighter applied to hull
    Seastar hydraulic steering
    27" stern grab rails
    Swim ladder with grab handle
    Electric trim tabs with lighted indicator gauge
    Raw water washdown system with hose
    Dual wipers
    EZ Loader galvanized dual axle trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes, slick bunk pads and oil bath hubs...
    Boat color TBD.

2. outtadablu

outtadablu Gettin' Ready to go KILL some fishes

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    26' Osprey "Outtadablu"
    Sounds pretty nice - pictures??

3. Glad Wrap

Glad Wrap Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    boat whore
    Sounds liek you already made up your mind. Or you don't really think it is the right boat for you. Just think, will this boat work for you for the long term?

4. Team Sency

Team Sency Unleash the hounds!!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    JuiceBox2
    And will it fit in that sweet garage of yours!! How does Hewes rank in the foodchain of tin boats? Is Duck the benchmark of non custom made boats?

5. whido isle

whido isle capt

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    25' amf SS245 o/s (bart's legacy)
    My buddy has that boat not sure on the yr but he just pulled his deck & had to replace the foam it was waterlogged & he takes damn good care of his boat always stored under cover & never leaves it in the water always trailers the boat to fish. The fuel burn is great on this boat it is light & you feel it in the chop

6. blackelk

blackelk Wishing I was Tuna fishing

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    Every boat has problems. I would advise getting a ride on a couple similar boats and check them out in different conditions.. Best time to find out what you like and dislike about the boat is before you own it. My last 2 perfect boats had issues I never knew about in the design that if I knew before hand would have kept me from buying them. If I had to buy another boat I would try and ride on as many different boats as I could before buying one.

goatram and BigBurp like this.
  7. MKCJ

MKCJ Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Spotfish (22' hewescraft OP ET HT)
    I have the same boat motor combo (2013) except hard top with drop curtain, and we love the boat and motors! A neighbor of ours has a 22 HT Raider and he really likes his boat also.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  8. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Not if you want to chase tuna. Unless you bring markfromsea.

Depends on your fishing preferences.

MarkFromSea likes this.
  9. Rjhewes

Rjhewes Newbie

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    OP 22
    I have the same but its a 2007 hardtop w/rear steering and Honda 225.
    Boat is stable fishing and feels comfortable offshore. I think you will get
    same or better performance out of the 200 due to soft top and lower engine weight.
    All models have their issues, just one of the joys of boating.
    Would I buy this boat again? Yes
    Make sure you are getting the 85 gal. tank, not the smaller one.

dragonballs likes this.
  10. The Peddler

The Peddler I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    "Permanent Waves"
    If it fits your needs, wants and intended use, I think it's a good choice.

goatram likes this.
  11. MarkFromSea

MarkFromSea Piscatologist

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    "Solo"
    I was on the hard top model a couple weeks ago, ambushed by a Cabelas salesman. Real nice boat, IDK how it rides. I found it's fish boxes pretty small. Maybe place a cooler or two on the deck to help visualize the useable room. It is a nice boat though.

12. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    My buddies has a 20' HC and compared to my last 21' north river two totally different rides. The off shore bracket on the 21' NR made a big difference deck space etc... Like Blackelk said get out on them for a ride. I loved my 21' NR seahawk with the 150 yamaha would do top end 40ish with good water and love the 26' NR I have now. Try to get out for a ride in some boat big differences. Good Luck

13. Rellis

Rellis Boss

Name:
    Ray Ellis
    Boat:
    21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
    Hewes are a very good boat for the money. Had I not found my boat with only 93 hours on the main motor and a good price, I was looking at a Hewes. Try Ben & Jerry's in Mount Vernon & I am sure you can test ride all kinds of models.

14. tbick

tbick Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Fishn' DaWg Grady White 228
    I have looked at the OP's for awhile. Nice boats. Drawback for me is no self bailing deck. I was out a johns wayne marina today with my little guy for hours checking out the halibut(his favorite fish). There were 2 OP's that came in at the same time. They are a good size 22' boat and most people seem to love theirs. One of the OP's today hauled in a 117lb halibut( per fish checker measuring while I was there). They had it laid across the engine bracket. I have spent a lot of time on the Hewescraft owners forum. Some great info there and Hull Truth site. Good luck. Tom n Jerrys in Mount Vernon seems like a good dealer and knows how to set them up. Have a Ben n Jerrys on the way home. :). Rellis may be hungry. :)

15. Clockwork

Clockwork I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    GW Marlin
    What's your application?

16. Spokaloo

Spokaloo I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    I build my own
    The factory is a little over an hour north of us in Spokane. If you are considering the boat new, it's worth drifting over the hill and coming to the factory for a look. They welcome people to take tours and learn more about the operation. Might just be able to talk customization as well.

E

17. rk52

rk52 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Allied P23 Warhawk
    Thanks guys for all of the response's. Much appreciated. Your right Sency it will slide right in to the ten foot door and sit next to my Bros 25 foot Seahawk. The boat with the soft top is 400 pounds lighter than the hard top and will have a lower CG. The ride will be a tad tougher, but on a nice day it will kick the Bro's Seahawk's ass. Ben n Jerry's put the package together for me, but I am giving Jon at Defiance a shot at my $$$. Will be stopping there on the way to Harstine after work today.

I think it is enough boat to chase the tuna as I won't go when it is shit out there. I fish for fun not abuse. In a few years I will be able to pick what days I go for them, if you know what I mean.

The plan is to do the inside passage when I have the time to do it, and the boat of choice is the Hewes 26 Pacific Explorer. This boat should bridge the gap on the interim.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

18. rk52

rk52 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Allied P23 Warhawk
    I think Hewes feels pretty good about their boats with a lifetime transferable hull warranty.

19. blackmouther

blackmouther 10%er during Salmon Season

Name:
    Fowlmotuher
    Boat:
    Shopping
    Great boat for the money but if your gonna buy one get the hard top model. I heard the soft tops porpoise due to lack of weight up front. And it's great to stow your gear in a locked cabin

20. t_dub

t_dub I remember when I used to fish.............

Name:
    Ty
    Boat:
    20' Hewescraft Searunner
    lifetime for original owner, transferable only until 10 years old. i've got a '05 Hewescraft Searunner, second owner, and the transferable warranty runs out next year. you should be very happy with the boat, Hewescraft did a lot to address the water run off issue that was the main cause of the under floor foam getting saturated. Water from wash downs, rain, waves, etc was running back and pooling in the aft corners against the transom bulkhead then seeping under the little floorboard they had back there and soaking the foam. they added that short, metal bulkhead that the access doors for batteries, wash down and stuff now rest on that channels any water running aft to drain into the center bilge as it should. I would suggest running a bead of silicone between each of the floorboard joints forward of that bulkhead especially where the floorboard and the hull meet to make sure water can't find a path beneath the floor and get the foam that sits in those outboard channels wet. i ended up having to do a full foam replacement last year and ended the job sealing those joints and have been very happy with the results.