Taco Maker

Mar 9, 2021
Orange County
Name
Taco Maker
Boat
Taco Maker
Hey All,

I've tried 'everything' (read all the how to guides, searched the forum, called bait tank shops, etc) and hoping to get some guidance from the BD Community on this thread as a last resort.

Boat specs:
2021 42 Magbay Express
85 Gallon Transom Livewell

The problem:
As soon as the bait goes into the tank, they bunch up in a corner as pictured below and start a slowly dying (pic 1). They seem to be 'gasping' for air from the get go and start darting sporadically. If they are not bunched up in the corner, they swim in random directions bumping into each other which accelerates their death (pic 2/3).

Things I've tried:
1. Timed a 7 minute fill and bait died quick.
2. Adjusted outflow so that the tank is always full (no sloshing) and timed an 11 minute fill, the bait was noticeably happier but still struggling.
3. Loaded a tiny amount of bait to see if over crowding is an issue, they tend to survive but still struggle and don't swim in a circle. Noticeably weaker over the course of the day..

What is the best way to troubleshoot this issue?

Seriously appreciate any guidance/tips!!

Pic 1

bait tank.jpg

Pic 2
Bait tank 2.jpg

Pic 3
Bait Tank 3.jpg

9163DC55-E649-4D08-B151-327FD2D4ADFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Some pictures shot from the top of your tank and pictures of inside your tank would help in the diagnosis. What shape is your tank, where are the water inlet nozzle and outlet drain placed?

Have you tried the owners forum for Magbay to find if others with same boat may have or have had a similar issue?

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Is it a square or rectangle tank with corners? They should swim in a circle against the current of the water flowing into the tank. Need a round or oval tank or you’re kinda screwed.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Typically from my experience if bait is darting around sporadically as you describe it is because of a bad fill pipe orientation.

Make sure when your bait tank is filling you are creating a current for your bait to swim against. (create a small/low pressure cyclone) This is achieved by having the holes on the fill pipe run parallel to whatever wall it is up against. This will give the bait something to swim into/against and hold them in a relatively stable position within the tank.

(I also agree with what Tom said above, that bait looks like it is pretty beat up to begin with)

Upvote 0

Taco Maker

Mar 9, 2021
    Orange County
    Name
    Taco Maker
    Boat
    Taco Maker
    Some pictures shot from the top of your tank and pictures of inside your tank would help in the diagnosis. What shape is your tank, where are the water inlet nozzle and outlet drain placed?

Have you tried the owners forum for Magbay to find if others with same boat may have or have had a similar issue?

Just added another picture, good call on trying Magbay forum.

There are 2 outlet overflow drains on the top (both sides), and a main drain in the bottom center.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    Brand new tank, beautiful btw, maybe it has some residue inside. I wouldn't recommend cleaning the inside of a tank but maybe check it out when it's empty and see if it smells like it's got any chemicals left on it or if it feels different to the touch in some areas like there is something left on it from manufacturer.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Just added another picture, good call on trying Magbay forum.

There are 2 outlet overflow drains on the top (both sides), and a main drain in the bottom center.
    The drain is not your problem . You need to look at your inflow .

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Three thoughts:
    1) Baits don't actually like windows. They get scared when they see movement on the other side. Probably looks like a seal coming. That can cause the behavior you show, in one picture but not the other, of the bait huddling in the corner. Put a towel over the windows, at least until the baits settle down.
    2) The best way to adjust the flow is with an oxygen sensor, which will cost you a few hundred bucks, but well worth the investment considering all the other costs of getting live bait to the grounds. Flow is necessary to allow adequate oxygen replenishment, but excess flow is bad for the bait. I find that when the bait is first introduced, they consume oxygen at a much higher rate and need a correspondingly higher flow rate, but once they settle down, you can choke back the flow quite a bit. I also find that there is much less oxygen in the water at night (so higher flows are required), probably because of the lack of plankton, photosynthesis, which may actually consume oxygen at night. I suspect that is why it is so common to wake up with a tank of mostly dead bait.
    3) The Magbay guys know how to build a boat, and should know how to build a bait tank (and as I recall, their tanks are pressurized), so I doubt that there is a problem inherent to the design of the tank. I also dismiss the thought that uncured fiberglass resin is killing them, though that could be easily tested by seeing if just a handful of bait has any problem surviving (with just a handful, oxygen deprivation should not be a problem, even at low flow rates, which should be used for such a test).

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    How many times have you used the bait tank (i.e. want to know how many times this issue has shown up for you)?

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    Get Barrett down there to fix the flow.

For the price of your rig it should be breeding in there.. however if you picked up bait in Newport it is rarely cured and many times right off the bait boat that morning, but a circular flow should help it settle down. They are hiding in the corners to get away from the sunshine coming through the window.

Also windows are for show, not bait preservation. Well known fact, you don’t see windows on any long range boats that depend on live bait for their living.

Last edited:
    Reactions: KID CREOLE
    Upvote 0

Taco Maker

Mar 9, 2021
    Orange County
    Name
    Taco Maker
    Boat
    Taco Maker
    Get Barrett down there to fix the flow.

For the price of your rig it should be breeding in there.. however if you picked up bait in Newport it is rarely cured and many times right off the bait boat that morning, but a circular flow should help it settle down. They are hiding in the corners to get away from the sunshine coming through the window.

Also windows are for show, not bait preservation. Well known fact, you don’t see windows on any long range boats that depend on live bait for their living.
    Hate to bump an old thread but I’m still having issues figuring out the bait tank.

Still waiting on MagBay to figure it out, but since only 3 boats were built (2 in Florida) they don’t seem to have it figured out.

@Vigilnt Do you have Barrett’s contact information?

Does anyone have any recommendation on who I can reach out to for help? Would love to have someone come troubleshoot and fix this mess!

Thank you.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    If me I would just cut it out and have a Blue Water real bait tank glassed in.Not cheap,I think the 38 BW I had Steve Keene build into my 21 Outrage was like 4K done BUT it keeps bait and looks like it was factory.Tom

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Try covering up the window temporarily with cardboard and tape. As far as they are concerned, anything they see through the window they will view as something that is trying to eat them and they will run to a corner.

Make sure the fill flow is baffled and gentle. They are not trout and do not do good if the flow is like a river.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    I remember your original post and always wondered if u found a remedy. Lots of good advice above. But yet it still exists….. can you take some detailed picks of your tank? In side, inlet,outlet…. It seams bait tanks have been dialed in yet yours from a big name builder is flawed…. Is there a chance the problem lies downstream? Like maybe something from the pickup to the tank that is intruducting the black magic? Highly unlikely but gotta see the problem from all sides to best find a solution.

how long has this bait been in the tank? They looks really bad…..also have macs had the same fate?

FD6C9BFF-8B6C-457B-ADEB-98F8477DA75F.png

D7EFCD5F-1E60-4E35-AA0B-53C33BCE3AE3.png

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    No customer service call from MagBay Yachts? Maybe call Dave New from Basin Marine since they were involved with your delivery.

Magbay also sponsors are forum here so drop them a line, or post on there Facebook or Instagram feeds.

Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
  • Jun 24, 2011
    Elk Grove
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    WORKING ON IT.
    Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    He cut out my 25 gal live well and glassed in the 38 gal bait tank.I wanted to retain the factory seat-leaning post.Tom

Upvote 0