I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Hello BD Community.

I am finally a new boat owner. Not so much to look at it but it is all mine. a 1984 Seaswirl. i took it out for the first time and the risers were getting really hot. Are the risers always supposed to be a medium temp? The engine died on me twice as I was going but I'm not sure what it was because the boat hasnt been in water for 2 years. When I start the engine and it turns on, it seems to go fine, but i'm not sure because of the temperature maybe an overheat the engine dies. I let it chill for about 10 minutes and then the engine was fine and working again. I just wanted to know if the risers were always supposed to be "not hot". The oil pressure seems to go down when the engine died off and it is pretty low but the engine starts up again. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm near the long beach area now, and was wondering maybe I could take it in somewhere over there? But first I wanted to learn some more information about the risers, or maybe I'm missing something? Please any experienced boat owners, I am welcome to any and all suggestions. Thank You!

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Hello BD Community.

I am finally a new boat owner. Not so much to look at it but it is all mine. a 1984 Seaswirl. i took it out for the first time and the risers were getting really hot. Are the risers always supposed to be a medium temp? The engine died on me twice as I was going but I'm not sure what it was because the boat hasnt been in water for 2 years. When I start the engine and it turns on, it seems to go fine, but i'm not sure because of the temperature maybe an overheat the engine dies. I let it chill for about 10 minutes and then the engine was fine and working again. I just wanted to know if the risers were always supposed to be "not hot". The oil pressure seems to go down when the engine died off and it is pretty low but the engine starts up again. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm near the long beach area now, and was wondering maybe I could take it in somewhere over there? But first I wanted to learn some more information about the risers, or maybe I'm missing something? Please any experienced boat owners, I am welcome to any and all suggestions. Thank You!
Did you sea trial the boat before buying?

Overheats and dropping oil pressure are recipes for blowing an engine.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Excessive heat is not the worst thing about old risers. I can tell you from personal experience that you need to replace the risers before they fail -- when the fail saltwater will end up on the combustion chamber, which could result in bent valves, scored cylinder walls and even broken rods.

Reactions: Envy115

Minions

Oct 11, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Minion
I would check compression on all cylinders, easy to do yourself.

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Like Randy and Bill said, Vessel Assist and a good mechanic now!
Does it have a temp gage? Take notes on the gages with it running in your driveway hooked to a water source. As the temp rises, does the oil pressure drop? Remove the oil filler cap and inspect the inside of it, remove the dipstick, any odd color oil?(white)...

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
You guys are awesome. Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I tried to get somebody to look at it in long beach but there is like a week wait. I will get it to a mechanic asap. Till then anything I can do myself? I will check out the temp to oil and tell you what happens as it changes.

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Like Randy and Bill said, Vessel Assist and a good mechanic now!
Does it have a temp gage? Take notes on the gages with it running in your driveway hooked to a water source. As the temp rises, does the oil pressure drop? Remove the oil filler cap and inspect the inside of it, remove the dipstick, any odd color oil?(white)...
I'll try and get back to you. Tyvm

junkyardEd

Special Baiter Wizard
Nov 27, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ed
Boat
SOLD

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
You need to start at point "A" and go through the entire cooling system before you do any MORE damage.....

Raimond

Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
You need to start at point "A" and go through the entire cooling system before you do any MORE damage.....
Sorry to sound like such a noobie. But it is because I am. Where would point a be?

BluePabst

Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Name
Phil
Boat
Bertram 30
Sorry to sound like such a noobie. But it is because I am. Where would point a be?
not trying to bash you; but point a is really hiring a mechanic. you should tell him about all these issues. i see a full service, new risers, possibly a new water pump, possibly a carb re-biuld. have him do a compression check and do that first. you may find other issues as well. sorry, but you may not be on the water for a few weeks but it is not surprising for something that has not run in 2 yrs. make sure you use marinized components and do it right.

Raimond

Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
Is there no one closer than me that can drop by and take a look at the motor for Tommy? I am two hours away, willing to help out if no one else can.

Envy115

Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
i really appreciate the BD community tho. I have been a pier, rocks, and jetty fisherman for like 13 years and i'm 29 years old. I really don't have any experience with boats and this is my first learning boat. I really am thankful for all of you guys just feedback, suggestions, comments, and everything else. One difficult thing for me is that all of my friends who fish, just stick to pier, jetty, and whatnot, and this is the first time I am learning the ins and outs of the boat. I called my buddy and we are going to take out the impeller tomorrow. He said that he has a radiator pressure kit, and is wondering if that could help work to check the compression or would I need a different device? do you guys think a car radiator pressure kit would work or should i just go get something else? Tomorrow I will take the impeller out, and if somebody could answer me about the radiator pressure kiit that would be nice, because I don't have the exact equipment to check for the compression at this point. Mind you, I started college at 24, and just graduated recently. I used to mess up and make bad decisions and finally am getting my life back together. Fishing and being calm has been a big part of this and for that I am greatful to you, the other fisherman, boat owners, BD community in general, and lastly but most importantly the fish! One big issue is that I am currently not working and want to minimize on the costs of all these repairs as I don't have much money to go towards it. If there are things that cannot be avoided obviously I will pay for them, but any tricks to save a few bucks along this expedition would be greatly appreciated as well.

BLUE PABST --> no worries broski, I don't feel any bashing at all, honestly i'm cool with open and new suggestions and stating the obvious would help me at this point, until I learn some more things. So excited to finally get it out on the water a couple days ago, and now this, I really wanna go out there and catch some fish! I know I can take it to a mechanic, but im a 1st time boat owner and I look young. I don't want to get jipped by a mechanic I don't know, especially cuz I don't have alot of knowledge of boats. I want to learn everything I can before I take it in, so if I do speak with somebody I seem more familiar and knowledgeable with boats. Changing the risers or other things which cant be avoided Ill definitely pay for, just I really want to find a way to save some money but have the boat go out and not die on me at all, lol that wasw pretty scary. one other thing, with everything you mentioned, how much do you think all of that will cost? roughly? for a full maintenance thing. I have zero experience with boat mechanics and my recently college graduated ass doesn't have much money. ANY AND ALL HELP is appreciated!

RAIMOND ==> you sound like an awesome dude man, and i love the quote on the bottom, freedom is not free, support the troops, troops do not make policy , they enforce it... lol thats awesome man, as I totally agree. I have many friends and family that are enlisted and I totally feel you on this quote. RAIMOND u sound like an awesome guy but I wouldnt' want u to come all the way down to take a look at this until I have more information and things. I really wouldnt' want u to drive in this heat for nothing too special. unless u come and we take a look at the engine and it is all good and take her out for a quick spin. =) lol I just really hope I can get the motor running with no problems, and issues, no overheating, and just be able to go out on the water. if you have any suggestions or tips that would be awesome. and btw if you do ever come take a look at the engine, first few beers are on me. ;D

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
i'm in hemet and have the ultimate set of tools!!! if you want you can use my tools, leave the boat here (fully fenced 5 acres) while you work on it. i'm busy with my own work but i can tell you what to do and how to do it. what engine and drive by the way? let me know.

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
Tommy, Get a cool beverage of your choice, sit down and take a couple of deep breaths, and then read the rest of this post.

I don't want to scare you, but it sounds like you bought a boat on impulse that you know nothing about and have no idea what condition your new boat is in. Before you take it on the water again you need to do a few things to it so that it won't STALL ON THE WATER!!!!! That is one of the worst things to happen on a boat on the water, for any reason. The worst thing, of course, is sinking, but it sounds like that is not an issue right now. Get to know your boat inside and out. Every nut, bolt, screw, and part and you will be better off on the water when something goes wrong. If you own a boat, particularly an older one, you need to be a jack of all trades or have very deep pockets.

If you want to save money you are going to have to purchase several hundred dollars worth of tools and know how to use them properly, and not be afraid to tackle almost any repair that your boat needs. You don't have to buy all those tools at once, but as each issue comes up you will need new tools to do the job. The alternative is to pay somebody about $90 per hour to do the repairs for you. I have faith in your ability to do many repairs on your boat. For an occasional mechanic like yourself I would recommend that you buy most of your hand tools from Harbor Freight. Get on their mailing list and use coupons as much as you can. They are decent hand tools and lifetime guaranty, not the best but more than worth the cost. Power tools are a different story there. Buy them at your own risk.

To replace the impeller (water pump), Look on youtube for that repair for your particular outdrive. It will be necessary to remove 4-6 bolts on the lower end, disconnect the shifter rod, slide the lower end off the upper end, turn the lower end upside down, remove the 4 bolts holding the impeller housing on, remove the impeller, inspect the housing for wear and replace if necessary (just do it for peace of mind), and replace the impeller. Don't loose the keyway! Put everything back together.

To check compression-----No, the radiator pressure kit won't work.....at all. Buy a compression tester, disconnect all the spark plug wires and remove the spark plugs, carefully pull the wire out of the center of the coil and turn it to the side so the engine won't start, screw the compression tester into each spark plug hole one at a time, crank the engine 4-5 rotations with the starter, then read the pressure on the gauge. Release the pressure and do this 2 more times and write the number down each time. Repeat this procedure for each spark plug hole and write the numbers down. You are looking for 1) approximately even pressure in all cylinders, and 2) at least 90 lbs., possibly up to 150 lbs in each cylinder (the higher the better). If one or more cylinders has a significantly low reading you have an internal problem with your engine, either rings or valves (read new engine here). If everything checks out OK then you are good to go.

To replace the risers, drain all water from the engine, remove the water jacket at the back end of the risers, unbolt the risers, scrape off the old gasket, install new gasket and new risers, replace water jacket, fill cooling system with proper fluids. I have simplified this process somewhat, but all gasoline engines are basically the same.

Good luck, and don't get overwhelmed. One problem at a time and pretty soon you will have a very dependable and functional boat.

kindafishy

Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
To replace the impeller (water pump), Look on youtube for that repair for your particular outdrive. It will be necessary to remove 4-6 bolts on the lower end, disconnect the shifter rod, slide the lower end off the upper end, turn the lower end upside down, remove the 4 bolts holding the impeller housing on, remove the impeller, inspect the housing for wear and replace if necessary (just do it for peace of mind), and replace the impeller. Don't loose the keyway! Put everything back together.

^^^not always true. there are raw water pumps that are belt driven, which are real easy

Mar 12, 2014
San Diego
Name
Blake
Boat
25' Skipjack FB
Before you start pulling things apart. Go on Amazon and buy a used copy of the repair manual for your motor. Welcome to your first money pit. There's no such thing as a cheap boat.