"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Woohoo for my fall work schedule!

I went out for a couple hours today (literally less than 2 hours) just to run the new bait tank. I was so excited that I forgot to measure the fill time; it was around several minutes but I'll get a more accurate read on Wednesday.

There's still leftover fiberglass dust but Loren cleaned most of it out when he installed the tank. I spent some time scooping out some of the "dirty water" even as I knew the pump would turnover the debris. I didn't end up buying any bait as it felt like a waste of money if I wasn't even going to use the bait. If I get out early enough next time, I'll buy half a scoop.

I also installed the (third) new set of rod holders I ordered and this time, thank God, they fit. I started mounting them already and will order 4 more, making 12 holders on the existing t-top.

I'm paying close attention to the weather, conditions and fish locations this week.

Reactions: bman440440

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
On my previous boat, I kept the fire extinguisher in the bow storage compartment, left to roll around or butt up against random stuff. I didn't think that was safe nor accessible especially during a fire onboard scenario. I also don't like the idea of keeping the extinguisher inside the main console storage as that's an enclosed space next to electrical equipment.

I saw a post on a boating group that used an extinguisher strap intended for Jeep roll bars. The user mounted his extinguisher to the leaning post, which is the most accessible location imo.

So I ordered this item from Amazon and it's coming today. I opted for the red color as I think it's the appropriate color for an emergency item.

Screenshot_20190829-091605.png

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I saw Kurt's post and was reminded that I can connect my AIS equipped radio to my Garmin MFDs. Nothing like seeing those triangular ship marks on the big screen rather than the itty bitty one on the radio. Also helps to follow, I mean avoid, the big fishing ships during a hot bite.

I don't recall if these connections are already in place so I got a couple pieces of equipment just in case.

61AzKiZWc2L._SL1500_.jpg

61QHYGTm4tL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: onehottip

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Welp.

We went out today for the inaugural offshore trip for Chips N Guac. The boat herself handled just fine, but the fishing trip was a skunk.

I just knew that after weeks of massive tonnage along the US/Mexican border, this weekend would be when all the fanfare died. Yup.

We started off from Mission Bay, headed to the 182 with vigilant eyes along the way. It was a cloudy day for the most part, and water temps hung around 69 - 72 degrees. Water was choppy with some nice patches in between. We worked hard and boxed the area just north of the border, ending at the North 9 Mile Bank.

We saw tons of birds but marks were hard to come by. Officially, I only saw one set of marks close to The Corner but the fish wouldn't bite our offerings.

I'll try again in a few weeks, and hopefully the conditions improve at that time. Boo for no bloody decks for her inaugural trip.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
So of course it happened on the third trip with the boat (I should've listened to my gut and printed a reminder card).

When we got home, we noticed that the 8 foot antenna was broken at the base AND I remarked how I didn't remember putting it down. So I'm sure we hit the darn thing somewhere as the base was broken.

I ordered a new Digital Antenna, but this time I went shorter and purchased the 4 foot version. Maybe this will hold up better (my 8 foot antenna kept falling down if I didn't secure it with a cord). I don't think I'm going to lose much in terms of radio coverage based on the billion threads I've read about it.

DIG528-VW-2.jpg

Reactions: repo805

Day0ne

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
VHF is line of sight. You just lowered your antenna 4 feet. Figure it out. I always raise my 8 footers another 4 feet.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
VHF is line of sight. You just lowered your antenna 4 feet. Figure it out. I always raise my 8 footers another 4 feet.
I hear ya. I'm of the same opinion too. I don't have the energy to paste the (supposed) mathematics of the additional gain of 4 feet. Hell, there's even explanations for why 8 feet doesn't work as well under sea conditions (something about not staying more parallel to the water surface and how a shorter antenna maintains better conal angle).

This is a comfort decision since the 8 footer was a bitch so far. I will test the 4 footer and see how I like it.

Since it's installed on a t top, even the 4 footer is much taller than the antenna on my previous center console. By that account, I am still at a higher line of sight than ever before. And my previous center console did just fine with the radio over 30 miles offshore.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Its more than just how high it is, a 4 foot antenna has a 4db gain and 8 foot is 6db gain. You loose distance with lower gain.

So if you where to add a 4 foot extension it still would not match an 8 footer

I have two 8” digitals on my cabin and they work great

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-a-VHF-Antenna

View attachment 1065069
Understood.

There are some who would argue that lower gain antennas are actually more effective on smaller boats. Something about narrow vs wide beam width. But as mentioned, I don't have the energy.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Loren installed my replacement antenna today.

Despite my short discussion about a 4 footer vs an 8 footer, I went with the 8 foot antenna in case a couple extra miles makes the difference when I really need it the most. I'm hoping he also fixed the antenna mount so that it doesn't easily go down like a Tri Delt freshman during Welcome Week.

I also connected my VHF to the NMEA 2000 backbone and hoping I did it correctly. I can't check for AIS connectivity since the boat's on land and too far from the nearest boats.

Reactions: One_Leg

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Took out the Chips N Guac for a couple hours today. It was mostly a shakedown, local run in preparation for this Sunday. I'm going offshore for the second time and wanted everything to be copacetic.

I didn't get on the water until 10:30am and the both the wind and current were up. It didn't make for too much fun and I spent a good amount of time just messing with the electronics. For some reason, I can't get the AIS from my Simrad radio to show up onto my Garmin units.

I was back at dock by 1pm and gave her a good washdown. Time to prep for Sunday.

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Are you getting anything over the NMEA 2000 buss? Do you have terminating resistors at the ends of your network backbone?

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Are you getting anything over the NMEA 2000 buss? Do you have terminating resistors at the ends of your network backbone?
Yes, my Garmin MFDs are connected and communicating with each other, as well as the black box. I thought maybe it was a setting such as baud rate or AIS On, but those things all check out. Yes, there are terminating resistors. I'll keep at it as I obviously want the triangles on my bigger screens.

Only gets better from here.
When you're at rock bottom, definitely. To be fair, I've only gone offshore once, so hopefully the second trip will be much better.

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
So we bloodied the boat with a couple yellowfin this last trip, which was nice.

However, I lost a fish from my braid to fluoro knot slipping like it was tied with butter. I mean, there was no resistance whatsoever when I went to set the hook!

It must've been either a uni to uni knot or FG knot that I tied. I'm done with both of those for now.

So I've been practicing my knot tying skills and I'm onto the RP Knot at the moment.

Here's my first attempt LOL. I haven't cut off the tag ends yet.

IMG_20190924_083357.jpg

Reactions: shadzdad

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I bought some trolling feathers off Amazon since I read a few reports from guys that had success with them.

I love the "action" of casting lures and getting fish to bite, but I also enjoy the more relaxed nature of waiting for fish to bite. This is how I first started fishing on lakes for largemouth bass and carp. Many a days I'd sit there with dough bait and hotdogs (for catfish), while listening to music and talking to friends. You don't get that kind of relaxation with offshore fishing. IMO, the closest you get is trolling.

I find that trolling is not only relaxing, but also a great way to just have great conversations with passengers since the outboard isn't blaring at WOT. It's also a great cure on the water for anyone who might be feeling queasy.

41YruIo0EwL._AC_.jpg
414yCMH-JpL._AC_.jpg

Also, because of my latest slipped knot, I've been practicing my knot tying skills (see above) AND I bought these just in case I run into a hot bite and I get too flustered to do braid to fluoro connections onboard. They're made by Owner and have great reviews.

41bcJvoNMVL._AC_.jpg

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I was really pumped and intrigued by my last offshore trip, so I decided I needed a 30 to 40 lb outfit. I was using a very light Avet sxj and I also have the JX Raptor for the bigger fish. I actually have a Shimano Trinidad 12a for my medium set up, but it's strange because I have never truly liked any Shimano reel. They work just fine, and they are certainly high quality, but they don't get my heart pumping like the avets do. Maybe it's just preference.

So I looked around for an MXJ and came upon this Raptor sold by Edgar on this forum. It was a great price, and I don't have a red Avet yet.

IMG_20190930_100158.jpg
IMG_20190930_100144.jpg
IMG_20190930_100129.jpg

I'm gonna likely pair it up with a Phenix PSW.

Last edited:

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Rp knot is good and simple, even a caveman. For trolling I would use only mono. That would solve the knot issue, but you will like the the rp / John collins knot. Simplicity and fast. The feathers would work for bones cuda and the like inshore also. Btw You have a beautiful boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I went to tinker with the boat the other day and noticed a severe flat tire. Luckily, the boat is stored very close to a tire store (like 30 seconds) and I was able to tow/limp the rig in. They had my tire size in store so it took only a couple hours to get it all done.

Today, I dropped her off at OC Outboards for the 20 hour service. Yes, I know this is probably the simplest of all the services, but I don't even have the right tool to open up the bottom screw (standard screwdriver wouldn't do it; I need an impact wrench). As with all my other boats, I gladly pay professionals to do it so that I know it's done properly AND I have someone to yell at besides myself if something goes wrong.

She'll be ready by tomorrow.