TunaJoe

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
Earlier this summer, I sold my Nordic Tug and I lasted about a week before I was under contract for a new boat.
It's a sickness, no question.

Prior to my tug, I had a 23' Steiger Craft Miami that I sold thru here.

I loved my 23', it was a perfect So cal boat for my needs.
So I immediately started looking for a used 23', but due to Covid, there were very few quality boats for sale, let alone a Steiger.

I found a new 23' 2019 in NY that was perfect for me, but they also had a 2019 25' that had a few upgrades (built in head) so I decided to make an offer on the 255 Miami.

This is the 5th boat I've had shipped from the east coast, but was by far the most difficult due to the dealership. I think things would have gone easier if I had purchased from a Nigerian prince instead of this particular dealership.
They were good guys, just super unorganized. At the end of the day, they did make it happen, but not before I had to get Al Steiger involved. Definitely got a few more gray hairs over this deal, lol

Had a very difficult time finding a trailer for it due to Covid but was able to purchase a nice new aluminum trailer from Ballast Point Yacht Brokerage aka Western Boat trailer.
Over paid for the trailer, but I was in a pinch with the new boat on its way and I feel fortunate that Andy had a new one that fit my boat.

I used Carlos from Silverlake transport to haul the boat. I was able to track him in real time the whole way across country, and he made it here in 3.5 days.
Then he helped for an hour setting up my new trailer for my boat. Great guy and great service.
I'd use him again in a heartbeat.

steiger.jpeg

Last edited:

TunaJoe

Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
Decided to purchase my electronics from Gil Travis, mainly because he said he would include an autographed portrait of Nancy Pelosi with my order and he had great prices.
I went with the Garmin 1242xsv touch and the B175M 1000 watt ducer. I'm hoping to be able to sizzle algae at 1500' with this thing.
Also purchased:
Garmin 215 AIS VHF
Garmin Fantom 18 radar
Garmin Reactor 40 AP
Garmin GHC AP controller

Bought from Defender the Seaview 5" forward leaning radar tower with the LED anchor light.
IMG_5362.JPG
IMG_5415.JPG

solrac.hh

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 10, 2003
in a house
Name
Carlos
Boat
boatless
" I think things would have gone easier if I had purchased from a Nigerian prince instead of this particular dealership."

"Decided to purchase my electronics from Gil Travis, mainly because he said he would include an autographed portrait of Nancy Pelosi with my order and he had great prices."

I needed that!! best laugh I had all day!

URN

Feb 20, 2018
Anchorage
Name
URN
Boat
Whaler 25
I've always loved the Steigers. We hauled a 25ft whaler from Massatwoshits up to AK and that was a fun experience in November. We followed snow storms and flat tires but made it. Glad the 'rona didnt close things up at that time.

Sweet boat. If/when I do it again it'll be a Steiger Craft for sure.

TunaJoe

Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
Hole cut for transducer. As others have brought up on here, these 1000W ducers take a big hole.
I test fitted everything, got the 5200 ready and went for it.
I remembered on my 23' how limited access was and the new boat was even more so.
I was fortunate my buddy at Ventura Boat yard had a transducer wrench and allowed me to borrow it.
I highly recommend making one of these if you have the means.
These big transducers have a tall plastic spacer and it can be difficult to snug these things down adequately.
Last thing you want is for it to leak.

My buddy and I had a difficult time holding onto the low profile outside of the ducer while I tightened the nut. I was starting to panic, as I knew I needed to tighten it more.
The ducer was rotating and was no longer aligned with the keel and my buddy said "we need those suction things the glass guys use to hold it".

A light went off and I realized I had bought a SeaSucker handle to help the kids climb into the boat.
It worked like a champ!
You could probably buy a single SeaSucker and use channellocks to hold it for less money than the handle I bought
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5385.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5432.JPG

TunaJoe

Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
Radar and pedestal install pics.
This for some reason, was the hardest part of the install.
After careful positioning of the pedestal, I drilled the holes, then used penetrating epoxy to wet out the holes. Did this twice over a couple of days.
*(Steiger says they implement a "no wood construction" build but I can tell you with certainty that the transom, pulpit, and pilot house roof has wood.)
Did the same with the VHF mount and fabricated a 1/4" aluminum backing plate for it.

Anyone that has used the Seaview pedestal knows all the parts are sold separate. They use a large grommet type thing that the cables run thru and its supposed to be sealed with whatever sealant you're using.
I used Sudbury elastomeric adhesive sealant cause it was recommended by Seaview and I needed more stress in my life. I also wanted redundancy for where the cables went thru the roof so I used the Scanstrut multi cable seal.
Neat concept, expensive, good looking but tough to drill thru the rubber part. I tried freezing it and that helped, but I still butchered it.

So after dry fitting things, I recruited my wife to help and started pumping out the Sudbury sealant everywhere. all over the deck seal, around the pedestal, inside, outside and the groove of the grommet. That sh*t was everywhere!

Went to seat the pedestal and then couldn't get the bolts thru the holes and noticed the sealant was starting to skim over.
Of course I didn't read the directions.....

I started cursing like crazy cause things were starting to go sideways.

Anyways, finally got everything in place and tightened up

HarborSeal

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Santa Barbara County
Name
Justin
Boat
Anderson G21
Boat looks awesome! What was the deadrise angle where you installed the b175m? I measured mine and it came out to 16 degrees, right in the middle between the 12 and 20 degree 175s. Why the M over the HW?

TunaJoe

Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
Boat looks awesome! What was the deadrise angle where you installed the b175m? I measured mine and it came out to 16 degrees, right in the middle between the 12 and 20 degree 175s. Why the M over the HW?
I wanted to be able to read bottom structure. My understanding is the HW doesn't read bottom structure that well.
I think the deadrise measured out at 18? Don't recall exactly.
Steiger lists it at 21 degrees, but when I Measured it was less where I mounted the ducer

Reactions: HarborSeal

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego
Name
TH
Boat
17' Avon Searider
I used Sudbury elastomeric adhesive sealant cause it was recommended by Seaview and I needed more stress in my life. I also wanted redundancy for where the cables went thru the roof so I used the Scanstrut multi cable seal.
Neat concept, expensive, good looking but tough to drill thru the rubber part. I tried freezing it and that helped, but I still butchered it.
Those things suck to drill through - I may have to try the freezing idea.

TunaJoe

Nov 27, 2005
Ventura, CA
Name
J Dub
Boat
23' Steiger Craft Miami
Great boat! What happened to the Tug? Need for speed take control?
Ha ha, yes. a bit slow.
Loved the tug, but I was using it like 20 times for every 1 time we used it as a family.
I was trying to fish and dive off it and it really wasn't working in that respect.

Reactions: Canyon