Advertiser
Jul 8, 2020
Oak Hills, CA
www.skipjackyachts.com
Name
Michael Englebrecht
Boat
25 ft Skipjack
We are planning to start making Back to Back seats again but improved with a fiberglass base and improved fabric. What do you guys think about them?
I see a lot of opens without them now. Is it because they died and were replaced or do you prefer a different arrangement?

BigMike

Reactions: Chuck Roast

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Back to backs waste space unless the layout is done really well, usually on bigger boats, 28+. IMHO anything other than forward facing sucks for running. When people are trolling, fishing, hanging out, they usually lounge wherever is comfortable or shady. The exception to this is a true sportfisher. Again, only my too sense.

Reactions: SkipJack Boats

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    We get asked to build them at least by restorers and some people actually really like them.
    I don't take three other guys with me because I'm a line class fisherman. Maybe one other guy. If I'm fishing a 50lb fish for a couple hours guys don't like it. the other part of it is I hook up with most of the fish.
    I don't need to hear it.
    Same reason I don't do party boats because it's 20 great guys and five blundering idiots.
    For my style fishing I don't want the seats in the way. But families and groups the back to back seats are great and turn into out door beds when needed

Upvote 0

SkipTown

Just A Regular Guy
  • Apr 24, 2011
    Newport Beach, CA
    www.interseller.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Skipjack 28
    I wonder if and/many have done their own thing with the 20 and 24 open to convert the layout to more of an express cruiser / day boat? I know it's not "the Skipjack thing" but it would be interesting to see if there's a market for a cruiser layout - ya know the kind, with 150 cup holders? ;-)

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I wonder if and/many have done their own thing with the 20 and 24 open to convert the layout to more of an express cruiser / day boat? I know it's not "the Skipjack thing" but it would be interesting to see if there's a market for a cruiser layout - ya know the kind, with 150 cup holders? ;-)
    I hate cup holders!!!
    I've seen a couple that were sweet but the pilot house boats are my favorites.

TheWesNMads

May 18, 2020
    Yorba Linda
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    1979 24’ skipjack fly bridge
    A buddy redid his setup with tackle storage on captains side and insulated cooler on the other side and you can still sit 2 people backwards.

TheWesNMads
    TheWesNMads
    Just had a good idea, or at least a good idea in my lame-brain. Put the rear facing seat on a hinge so it can be pulled back to grab a Diet Shasta or Berkeley power bait or whatever storage you want underneath with the seat as the lid, okay okay you can put yo-yo iron in there too and beer 😆

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I’m not that familiar with the design. Post pics. If they convert to usable beds that’s great. Apparently most people don’t mind bunks designed for midgets in the fetal position that can throw you out with the slightest of wakes. If a 6’er can’t lay out flat, it’s not a bed to me. I’d rather deck sleep, but that’s me. I see great designs but everyone has their preferences. I really like a convertible 3 position; adjustable back, 50/50 to full bench.

Ideally on my personal 20’ I would tear out the captains chairs and have a lean post/bench/bait like the everglades skiffs. On a bigger boat I would have 2 of those setups so 2, 2 person fwd facing bench/lean post/ bait combos. We all know buying accessories for the wife doesn’t get her on the boat. Make usable room, not a boat for ants.

I love skippies for SoCal. Hate fly bridges, 4’ bunks, stupid dinettes,and fancy heads. I know everyone else eats that crap up or buys a parker. Gimme a flat deck pilot house, v-berth, microwave, and hot fresh water and I’m a pig in shit. I am no example of what to mass manufacture. I just see so many shitty designs that only look good in ads layered with silicone tits, but what boat doesn’t?

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Seating configuration versus space is always tough. I’d rather sit forwards or backwards instead of sideways.

Upvote 0

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    Henry Ford said there is an ass for every seat.
    If I am going out for a day run I like and open floor plan for sure.
    In regards to going 100 miles out chasing monster tuna or spending any time anchored of an island, Flybridge 100%.

There is a reason we haven't sold opens for a while and it's because people who are serious offshore fisherman want to have a safe seaworthy boat.
    One of the 262 we are building right now is for one of the most experienced or sportsman I know.

His experience with 262s started when diving the Channel Islands in and open boat and the wind picked up. He and a friend got stuck anchored in the wind freezing. The a Skipjack 262 pulled up next to the and anchored.
    The smell of hot coffee and food cooking.

Then he crewed on that boat for some and now we are making him one.

Bob Stevenson another expert hunter, Diver and fisherman ran a 262 for years from Mexico to Alaska and then upgraded from the 262 to a 30 we custom made for him. I could listen to his stories for hours. He is the most experienced and the biggest expert I have ever spoke in my 50 years of boating and fishing.

Bob says with confidence his flybridges were far and away better running boats then anything in their class. They're 30 was custom made for long stays and has three freezers built in!

Bob is over 6ft and has no complaints for his v-berth.

The second 262 were finishing is laid out by the owner for multiple days fishing at sea with his friends or family.

Were setting up a 262 demo and we have a 30 and a 380 demo in the water at Newport dunes for those who wish to judge for themselves.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    I had them in one of my skipjacks, and liked the concept (an aft facing sea for watching the spread while trolling) but not the execution. They were not comfortable, especially not when opened up for a place to lie down -- too short. Also, on the passenger side, we would rarely have anyone sitting on both sides of the seat, and when we did it was because there was nowhere else good to sit. All in all, unless you substantially improve the design, I think it is going to make your boats look dated.

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I had them in one of my skipjacks, and liked the concept (an aft facing sea for watching the spread while trolling) but not the execution. They were not comfortable, especially not when opened up for a place to lie down -- too short. Also, on the passenger side, we would rarely have anyone sitting on both sides of the seat, and when we did it was because there was nowhere else good to sit. All in all, unless you substantially improve the design, I think it is going to make your boats look dated.
    Were only selling them for guys who want replacements and this week I've had three inquiries. There are no plans to put them in new boats. Most guys who ask are the same guys who want other original style parts for restoring.

As an example I'm looking for original style deck handles. Very hard to find because over time the changed them. Customer may have to update them but I'm still trying to find them.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Were only selling them for guys who want replacements and this week I've had three inquiries. There are no plans to put them in new boats. Most guys who ask are the same guys who want other original style parts for restoring.

I guess I misunderstood your question -- I thought you were asking for opinions on the back to back seats since you were planning to start building them again.

We are planning to start making Back to Back seats again but improved with a fiberglass base and improved fabric. What do you guys think about them?

BigMike

Upvote 0

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
    LA CA USA
    Name
    Chuck Roast
    Boat
    20' Skip
    I see a lot of opens without them now. Is it because they died and were replaced or do you prefer a different arrangement?

BigMike
    I bet there is a market for them, and there are still a lot of them around. Those 20 & 24 opens are great multi purpose boats, not to mention great looking too. And yes, not the perfect deck layout for a serious fishing platform, or overnighting. However I like our 20 for a number of reasons. Seats 4 pretty well, and had as many as 7 on it for a ride. We Tube, whale watch, go for rides to long Beach for aquarium visits and lunch, and put the bait tank on and fish. It fits up in the driveway out of the way. Also the whole family enjoys it which is very important.
    Would be very interested in replacing our Back to backs when the time is right. Am currently restoring ours, and stripping off bottom paint as previous owner kept in in a slip. They are great looking and functional boats when taken care of.

Upvote 0

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    I guess I misunderstood your question -- I thought you were asking for opinions on the back to back seats since you were planning to start building them again.
    No you didn't, if you have an opinion on improving them we'd love to hear from you.
    We got rid of a wood base and made a mold for it. Those cushions could be flatter when down and yesterday I learned the bed option could and should be longer.
    Keep going because I'm taking notes. :-)

Upvote 0

SkipJack Boats

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Jul 8, 2020
    Oak Hills, CA
    www.skipjackyachts.com
    Name
    Michael Englebrecht
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack
    A buddy redid his setup with tackle storage on captains side and insulated cooler on the other side and you can still sit 2 people backwards.
    My first boat I bought like when I was 20 had a seat on a cooler and the back would lean forward or backward.
    It was full of food and drink on the way out and full of fish on the way back.

Reactions: TheWesNMads
    Upvote 0

Latest posts