New Avet suggestions

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by itsmemustard, Apr 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. itsmemustard

itsmemustard Member

Name:
    itsmemustard
    Boat:
    none
    What is a good size avet for island yellows, and small grade tuna? Also what pound line?

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    MXL Raptor its a beast of a reel from everything from rockfish to tuna. 65# braid filled to the top has more then 500yrds depending on the line

Willdoggy likes this.
  3. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    Mxj 20/30 LB

ghetto_dad and davidk like this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Anything from an SX-MXL raptor could fit that bill nicely.

5. fishn1003

fishn1003 Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    n/a
    sx raptor use it for mackerel or 70lb tuna ur choice

ghetto_dad likes this.
  6. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I think you’re covered with the SX Raptor for what you want to do and it will be easier to cast the whole day long. I own SX, MXL and HX Raptor reels. I love all of them and they all have their place. But for all around YT / lite Tuna the SX Raptor is where you should spend your money. Spool it with 50# braid and fish a short top shot of Fluorocarbon suited to the species you’re after. Here is a 120# MeKong Catfish I recently caught on my Avet SX Raptor 50# Braid / 80# Fluorocarbon. Good luck.

A5C5FD76-A7F4-4375-B9D2-8AAAC96D5BBB.jpeg

eric harner, socalangler22 and esgeo like this.
  7. Linh B

Linh B Take me fishing

Name:
    Linh
    Boat:
    none
    Will. With 50# braid and 80# leader, do you set your drag for 50# or 80#? Normally don’t go over the braid #test.

8. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I would set the drag according to the weakest link in your set up. In that case 50# braid so about 16# -17# of drag maximum. The reason I fished with 80# x 20’ of fluorocarbon leader is the abrasive nature of these big powerful catfish. They are also not line shy.
    I think you could fish from 20# up to 40# fluoro for tuna in SoCal and have great results without getting too tired using it for flylining, bait casting and light jigging as well. If you plan to do a lot of flat falls and jigging (Yoyo iron) you may want to step up to the MXL, as suggested by others. If the tuna get much bigger than 75#s I think the MXL is your go to. My set up for that is with 65# braid and I generally start the day with a 20-30# fluoro leader and step up or down depending on what is happening. I also have two HX Raptors that are my trolling rod reels and they are loaded with 80# braid. They would also be super for targeting big grouper or deep dropping for other bottom dwellers. One other thing to know about the Avet line is that the Raptor models do give a broader range of drag settings for a smaller reel but the non Raptor models give you more fine tuning of drag for a smaller range. I hope I said that in an understandable way? If you plan to fish only 20# then a regular Avet might be a better choice. If you are buying one reel that SX Raptor will give you a big range of options that insersect with many commonly caught fish here in SoCal and the benefit of a two speed reel for grinding bigger stuff. Pair it with a versatile rod....Go ask Joey at Squidco for help to get it right the first time and not waste any time or money.

9. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    SX G2 6/4