NEW AVET 50 SDS: Loss of Freespool at Low Drag setting? Which Bearing got Crushed?

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Hello, just bought a NEW Avet SDS, custom ordered "Purple" reel for Deep Drop Swordfishing. Picked it up a few days ago.

Got it spooled up with 130 hollow. Just noticed after I put it on the rod and started messing with the drag that the reel loses freespool at about 5lbs of drag. At about 15lbs of drag there in no freespool at all and there is 1 or 2 pounds of drag in freespool. All the while the handle turns freely...no binding.

I don't want to return to AVET, I've heard they are behind on repairs and I want to fish it ASAP. I can repair myself, I have opened them up and broken them down many times.

I'm confused as to why no handle binding but the sudden lose of freespool? Thinking a bearing got crushed in very high drag setting while getting spooled up on the machine.

Also just noticed at about 15lbs of drag, there is no gradual drag ramp up on the lever from free to strike. the drag just goes "on" when lever pushed even 1/2" past freespool? Cam installed wrong? missing shims/washers?

I will call the tackle shop and inform them tomorrow.

Advice?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
not sure your handiness with the reel maintenance, but I would just take it apart, insect the drags, and swap out the bearings.

Thanks Mike. Alan Tani suggested the return spring in the Drag isn’t pushing the drag off the Drag plate . I’ll inspect the bearings as well.
I’d rather handle it myself than wait who knows how long to be repaired by someone else.
This is a brand new reel, only been spooled up.

Reactions: aguachico
Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Thanks Mike. Alan Tani suggested the return spring in the Drag isn’t pushing the drag off the Drag plate . I’ll inspect the bearings as well.
I’d rather handle it myself than wait who knows how long to be repaired by someone else.
This is a brand new reel, only been spooled up.
My last trip a guy had an HX that totally locked up. Low gear button was also froze. Wonder if its the same thing.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Thanks Mike. Alan Tani suggested the return spring in the Drag isn’t pushing the drag off the Drag plate .

The spool stack has an issue, so I like Alan's suggestion. IMHO, I would take it back and have it done via warranty or call Avet before cracking it open. There are a lot of pricey parts.

Reactions: FWM0103
Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
I opened her up, everything was in order. Nothing fixed, I'm returning to shop, they are returning to AVET.

Upvote 0

Artic Traveler

Grouper Grabber, Snapper Snatcher, and Tuna Tugger
Nov 25, 2011
Spring Hill, Florida / USA
Name
Mack
Boat
Traveler
Hope you get your reel back quickly. I sent a JX Raptor in April, and was surprized to get it back 3 weeks later. They replaced all the bearing and sent it back to me in good shape. Definately, was pleased under the circumstances! They may be further backed up now.
I've heard from other manufacturers that they recieved alot of reels from people who were stuck at home. As a result they are hundreds of reels behind and little idea of when they will catch up.

Upvote 0