tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat Name
Bass Tracker 16
Has the top cross bar been removed from the 60 size?

Optional.
You can remove the top bar if you want to, and plugs are included in the box.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat Name
Camo Whammo
As best as I can describe it, the "80" size is about the same dimensions as a 6/0 Senator.
The new "60N" size is just a narrower version of that.
Really old people will know what I mean when I say its about like a 349H.

Hey, I'm not even 40 yet and I know what a Master Mariner is. :p:

Reactions: Fishmeluck
Upvote 0

TORNRETINAS

• Apr 12, 2021
    Chatsworth CA
    Name
    Torn
    Boat Name
    Your Moms Ride
    Super interested in the 40N and especially the new 60N. Putting together my first big tuna outfit. So far I got the rod, Phenix axis 800X3H (60-130#) Which reel would be best suited for socal tuna fishing for this rod rating? Also, what is the drag at strike and full for the 40N and 60N?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

JJMassar

Aug 6, 2021
    Arizona
    Name
    Jeremy Massar
    Super interested in the 40N and especially the new 60N. Putting together my first big tuna outfit. So far I got the rod, Phenix axis 800X3H (60-130#) Which reel would be best suited for socal tuna fishing for this rod rating? Also, what is the drag at strike and full for the 40N and 60N?
    The best reel for that would be a 16VISX….not a Fathom.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    waiting a reply on this…

this is for the value reels which the Fathom is the leader, otherwise the VISX, Makairas, ATDs are the ticket on that rod.

Upvote 0

TORNRETINAS

• Apr 12, 2021
    Chatsworth CA
    Name
    Torn
    Boat Name
    Your Moms Ride
    waiting a reply on this…

this is for the value reels which the Fathom is the leader, otherwise the VISX, Makairas, ATDs are the ticket on that rod.
    I'm definitely considering the visx and mak 16. Seems like everyone is ditching their gen 1 Fathoms in preparation for the gen 2. The new 60N looks pretty good. Waiting for more details and information on these reels.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
  • Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    16 " Duckworth
    I'm definitely considering the visx and mak 16. Seems like everyone is ditching their gen 1 Fathoms in preparation for the gen 2. The new 60N looks pretty good. Waiting for more details and information on these reels.
    Your Phenix axis 800X3H (60-130#) is pretty clearly a 100# rod. I fish 80# on my Fathom and Torque 40NLD2's and my 12VISX's. To go to 100#, I fish the 16VISX. The new Fathoms MIGHT fish 100#, but remember the Fathoms are considered "light frames". Although I have a 20VISX, I'm confident in my 16VISX to be able to handle a 275# BFT if I were lucky enough to get one to bite. The 20is a heavy tank for my liking, but then I'm 58.

Reactions: TORNRETINAS
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat Name
    Bass Tracker 16
    Any chance these gen 2 reels will be available for purchase before my trip in mid September?

The original schedule was announced as late September, and no updates have been heard since. Any earlier than that seems unlikely.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat Name
    Bass Tracker 16
    So both the 10xn and 15xn are 2 speed?
    Do both have a power handle?

Sizes 10 through 60 are available in both single-speed and 2-speed versions.
    Size 80 in 2-speed only.
    A total of 18 different versions.
    Single speed models have the football handle, 2-speed versions have the power handle.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat Name
    Bass Tracker 16
    it seems the pattern is they start it with the Fathom…remember well the 15XNLD gen 1…

Actually, most of the TRQLD2's came out 2-3 years before the Fathoms.
    You are correct that the 15XNLD2 was a late addition to the Torque lineup, but the rest of the Torques were first. Anything can happen further down the line, but I would not look for anything with new TRQ's in 2023.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat Name
    LazyAngler
    Actually, most of the TRQLD2's came out 2-3 years before the Fathoms.
    You are correct that the 15XNLD2 was a late addition to the Torque lineup, but the rest of the Torques were first. Anything can happen further down the line, but I would not look for anything with new TRQ's in 2023.
    Good info there Steve…at least for 2023 we have the whole season to complete & fish hard the Gen 2 Fathom then…

We have 1 year plus before we have the chance upgrading to Gen 2 TORQUE😉

Upvote 0